Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (ie the sequel)

(50 Posts)
Starling Wed 12-Nov-14 15:14:30

Have just found out that this will be released in February. There's a trailer at www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturevideo/filmvideo/cinema-trailers/11021026/The-Second-Best-Exotic-Marigold-Hotel-trailer-first-look.html
Richard Gere is going to be in it this time. I just saw the original at the weekend on TV and really enjoyed it. So I'm quite looking forward to this now. Are sequels ever as good as the original though I wonder?

Liz46 Wed 12-Nov-14 15:19:28

I hope the second film is as good as the first. I have seen the first one three times and would be quite happy to watch it again.

Starling Wed 12-Nov-14 15:24:30

Yes I would like to watch it again. I'm a bit disappointed that the Penelope Wilton character is in the sequel as I thought that that couple's differences were resolved by her leaving but she seems to come back again. I suppose they need her to be the nasty one.

sunseeker Wed 12-Nov-14 15:27:05

Loved the first one so will definitely want to see the sequel!

tanith Wed 12-Nov-14 15:35:15

Just watched the trailer and can't wait to see it.. I loved the first one..

Coolgran65 Wed 12-Nov-14 15:47:03

I loved this film and so did my husband.....And his criteria is usually crime/war/courtroom.

Starling Wed 12-Nov-14 15:59:44

Richard Gere is 65 now.

henetha Wed 12-Nov-14 17:30:08

Yippee! I loved the first one and am delighted to learn that there is to be another.

Ariadne Wed 12-Nov-14 18:23:38

Oh yes!

granjura Wed 12-Nov-14 18:34:28

Looking forward to it too- although the trailor seems to be much more glitzy and hollywood style, and perhaps not as good- will see.

ninathenana Thu 13-Nov-14 11:54:50

I didn't fancy this when it was in cinemas. However, I too watched it on TV at the weekend and loved it. DH quiet enjoyed it too.
Roll on February!

Starling Thu 13-Nov-14 11:59:41

Yes it's something to look forward to.

Teetime Tue 03-Mar-15 15:31:35

Just come back from seeing this at the cinema - its worth a visit even if the plot is barely credible!! The clothes and dancing are lovely. Richard Gear is worth looking at even if he barely acts and Judy Dench in my view acts Maggie Smith off the screen. It goes on a bit though.

Mishap Tue 03-Mar-15 16:13:04

This has had indifferent reviews - but I will watch it as soon as it comes out on LoveFilm. Can't wait.

Tegan Tue 03-Mar-15 17:01:23

I did enjoy the first film on the telly and I think I'll do the same with this one. I tend to divide films into 'telly films' and 'cinema films'. A film that's a disappointment at the cinema can be really entertaining sitting in a comfy chair with a cup of tea. An example of that being 'The Holiday' which I started watching late one night and really enjoyed.

Marelli Tue 03-Mar-15 17:31:19

I went to see it the other night and although I did enjoy it, it did seem to be struggling a bit here and there. The dancing was brilliant - I really did enjoy that, and Judy D and Maggie S were very good, as usual. Richard Gere was 'in it' ....he didn't really do anything (he didn't really need to grin)!

ninathenana Tue 03-Mar-15 17:42:58

Oh dear, I intended going to see this but not sure now.
DH and and I enjoyed No1 I think I might wait for it on TV.

gillybob Tue 03-Mar-15 18:04:51

I agree with Marelli I saw this on Saturday and was a teensy bit disappointed. It was good but nowhere nearly as good as the first one. Judi Dench and Maggie Smith were as good as they always are but (again I agree with Marelli) Richard Gere didn't bring anything into the film for me (except for perhaps his good looks) maybe that's enough and Penelope Wilton was almost the same character as she is in Downton Abbey. Still worth seeing though. I agree the dancing was fabulous.

Coolgran65 Tue 03-Mar-15 21:35:01

I also saw this in the cinema today, went with my friend who had not seen the first one.
My friend felt it wasn't her cup of tea and thought it was a bit Bollywood.

I agree it wasn't as good as the first one, but was still worth going to see. A gentle easy-to-watch movie, great dancing, good humour, Richard Gere was easy enough on the eye. Mind you, I think Bill Nighy is rather tasty.
Judy Dench and Maggie Smith as always - brilliant.

Did no harm that it was cheap Tuesday and only cost us £3 each.

Marmight Tue 03-Mar-15 22:04:07

I saw it last weekend - it was 'served' with tea, scone, jam and cream Oz style! I enjoyed it, but not so much as the first one. I would still recommend people to see it and make up their own minds.

baubles Wed 04-Mar-15 08:51:26

I saw this last night, not quite as good as the first but still very watchable in my opinion. Richard Gere doesn't do it for me but I thought the American investor was just lovely blush

Ariadne Wed 04-Mar-15 09:28:21

I saw it yesterday - went to a 3.35 performance in one of the smaller screen rooms and it was full of our age group, which meant we were all chuckling at the same things. It was funny, colourful and moving at times, and while I agree that it wasn't quite as good as the first, I did enjoy it. And the visit to Prezzo afterwards...

Have to tell you - we saw the first one at a Rotary fundraiser - this particular club, every two years, hired a private cinema in their town, and a box office film, charged £20 for Prosecco before, a buffet and drinks halfway, and made about £4,000 for charity. ShelterBox, I think. It was such a lovely way to see a film like that.

Teetime Wed 04-Mar-15 13:40:08

Thank you for idea Ariadne I have passed it on to my friend who is Rotary President here - he's always looking for new fundraising ideas and we have quite a nice small cinema here - would you be happy to tell me which town so that my friend can contact his counterpart there please?

Tegan Wed 04-Mar-15 13:56:18

I have a problem with Bill Nighy; he always plays the same sort of character and it gets on my nerves. The only time I really liked him was when he played the giant squid in the Pirates film hmm.

gillybob Wed 04-Mar-15 14:18:34

Oh I love Bill Nighy Tegan I think he's brilliant in everything he does.

I also find him strangely attactive