Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Hobbit

(7 Posts)
ninathenana Thu 18-Dec-14 09:55:43

We went to see the last part of The Hobbit last night. I know some of you have compared the series unfavourably to the books but I haven't read any of them. I have just enjoyed the films. I do think if they needed to devide the Hobbit part of the story it should have been done differently because this didn't work as a stand alone piece.
I did enjoy it though, and as usual the special effects were amazing.

vegasmags Thu 18-Dec-14 10:05:49

Old Hobbits die hard ... tchgrin

Tegan Thu 18-Dec-14 10:15:10

I'm really looking forward to seeing it. I hated the first film but saw the second part the other week and loved it. I don't care that it's had 2 star ratings in the papers; I keep seeing 4/5 star rated films and being bored out of my head. I'm glad you're given it the thumbs up!

Ariadne Thu 18-Dec-14 12:35:22

When we moved down here, I was able to go with my two oldest DGC (now 16 & 18) to see the first film, which was great because no one else wanted to go. We then saw last year's together, and the upside of my op being postponed is that we get to see the final one together too! Costs me a meal at Pizza Express too - worth every penny.

tanith Thu 18-Dec-14 15:30:51

I'll go and see it with my daughter and one of the grandsons , I just re watched the first and second ones on Netflix to remind myself a little but can't wait to see it and I'm glad you liked it..

Ariadne Thu 18-Dec-14 16:25:46

I found "The Lord of the Rings" books in the school library when. I was in the Sixth Form dossing around doing private study. Supposed to be preparing a translation of "Athenian Disaster in Sicily" (which I didn't understand even after I'd translated it) and found them on the shelf behind me. Was hooked thenceforth. And that was about 50 years ago...

granjura Thu 18-Dec-14 18:24:37

Just found out that John Howe, the illustrator and set designer, lives quite near to us in the Swiss Jura mountains, near the town of Neuchâtel. We will be taking the grandchildren to an art exhibition of his work whilst they are here over Christmas. Looking forward to see the film.