Gransnet forums

Food

Cookery books

(62 Posts)
mollie Sat 25-May-13 21:03:00

I'm a cookery book addict and buy as many as I can get away with! Every one is a favourite so I can't actually answer my own question, which is: do you have a favourite cookery book? Is it a published one or handed down through your family?

goldengirl Sun 02-Jun-13 09:35:25

I have a Stork cookery book that I was given at school when I was 14. It's basic and excellent. [I was probably given it because I wasn't good at cookery smile].
Coming up to 'modern times' I use Nigella a lot and the Hairy Bikers diet type book. Someone gave me a Jamie Oliver but I couldn't get on with it but I enjoy watching Nigel Slater on TV so might give him a try. I bought the cookbook of the TV series where a young girl cooked on 2 rings and held a 'restaurant' in her tiny flat in Paris from time to time. The book seems more complex than watching her in action on TV though and I need things simple!
I also have an ATDS book which was our text book at school and that's good for basics too. Many years ago when I was first married I had a SHE cookbook with picture instructions - I used that a lot but don't know what happened to it. I've got quite a few I don't use though and should really pass them on.

HappyNanna Sun 02-Jun-13 09:42:44

My favourite cook books are The OXO book of meat cookery which I've had for donkeys years and Delia's How to cheat at cooking. Agree, don't use many different recipes from them though, just a few favourites.

Nelliemoser Sun 02-Jun-13 09:53:07

The Dairy book of Home Cooking excellent for all basic stuff. Rose Elliots vegetarian cookery. BBCs Madhur Jafferey's Indian Cookery.

Various other veggie cook books. River Cottage Prue Leiths and Cranks.
I also have a very yellowed Bero cook book with pages falling off.

You can tell which cookery books are most useful by the amount of staining on the pages.

mollie Sun 02-Jun-13 10:43:06

I've got a Dairy cookery book too, bought from the milkman one Christmas about thirty odd years ago. It's lovely but the amount of butter, cream and milk would probably be considered a bit unhealthy these days. Never mind, a little bit of what you fancy...

whenim64 Sun 02-Jun-13 11:02:52

I bought my Dairy cookbook from the milkman, too. It was nearly 40 years ago, just after I got married in 1973. It was my first cookbook. The only other recipe I had was from the middle of the Woman magazine, for a Christmas cake.

Now I've got shelves full of cookbooks. If I get really stuck for a good classic recipe, I go to Prue Leith's Cookery Bible.

yogagran Sun 02-Jun-13 20:27:56

Another Dairy cookbook bought from the milkman is on my shelf too - and I still use it!

lujaha Sun 02-Jun-13 22:05:28

I have far too many cookery books but I cannot bear to part with any of them in case I might need a recipe from one of them ! Yes I love Nigel particularly the Kitchen Diaries, Hairy Bikers and Josceline Dimbleby has been a favourite for years. Her recipes are easy and always a bit more interesting than a lot of the classics.

Hunt Sun 02-Jun-13 23:15:13

Glammanana, exactly my choice! Stork Margarine book and The Dairy Cookbook.

merlotgran Sun 02-Jun-13 23:22:47

Keith Floyd's books have always been the most used in our house.

ElliMary Mon 03-Jun-13 19:02:20

I remember the Stork and the OXO cookery books. I threw them away a while ago they were in such a ragged condition. I used Katherine Whitehorn's 'Cooking in a Bedsitter' in the 60s. She knew a lot about cooking continental food which is what we have now in our supermarkets.

mckenzzee Fri 04-Oct-13 22:14:32

Hi

This is a very unusual request I've searched for months trying to locate this recipe - I've turned my mothers house upside down but had no luck - so I've scoured the internet & found what may be my last hope.

My mother used to have the whole collection of ‘Marshall Cavendish Supercook’ they were fantastic and she made some fab food.

One recipe I loved was a 'Tuna Quiche' it had pimentos, olives of course tuna and it's delicious I've made the quiche a couple of times but it was so long ago and I cannot lay my hands on the recipe which I'm sure I had - it's my birthday next week & I want to so much make it, is there any chance you could locate it for me and forward the recipe to me - I would be so grateful.

I wait anxiously and in hope that maybe someone out there can come to my rescue smile

Kind regards

Scooter58 Fri 04-Oct-13 22:21:05

I also have a Bero cookery book.Was my Grans and passed to me.Memories of many happy times as a child making dropped scones etc with my Gran and getting to "lick " the bowl before washing it.

absent Fri 04-Oct-13 22:54:42

mckenzzee I have sent the recipe (Volume 6, page 2024 and rather pretentiously titled Quiche au Thon) to you in a pm as requested. Enjoy.

squaredog Sun 06-Oct-13 09:30:17

I'm a newbie here.

I'm expecting my first GC next May and have been on MumsNet til now,Why I ask myself?

I am 61, but had serious misconceptions of this gang.

Be Ro. The very name takes me back. Stork, The Dairy Cookbook from the milkman......

I'm home. There's no going back.

Reddevil3 Sun 06-Oct-13 19:40:54

Has anybody had 'Left over for tomorrow' by Marika Hanbury-Tennison?
She used to write a cookery article, I think, for the Telegaph years ago.
Anyway, she has some amazing recipes using leftovers and it saves throwing out any uneaten food in these stringent days. It's quite satisfying to make something out of nothing.
It's out of print but available through Amazon. (I hate to say!)

annsixty Sun 06-Oct-13 20:18:43

I remember MH-T writing in the Telegraph (did she die young?) and still make her onion sauce which everyone loves. I still have some loose pages from those times.

storynanny Sun 06-Oct-13 20:31:24

I still use a tatty old pamphlet with recipes in it ûsing campbells condensed soup. Used to be able to feed a family of 5 with very little meat using these great recipes. Otherwise its Good Housekeeping 1975 version if I forget ratios for basic recipes etc. i also remember my mum buying the dairy book from the milkman, must have a look next time I visit and see if she still has them.
Ive also got a book with stuck in recipes collected from various magazines etc over the years. Its nostalgic looking back on them and thinking about when the children were little and liked helping in the kitchen.

Deedaa Sun 06-Oct-13 22:56:02

Nothing to do with cookery Books annsixty but I visited Marika Hanbury Tenison's home a couple of times in the 90's. She had died quite young (cancer? can't remember) and her husband had re married. I think it was an old friend of her's that he married and the house had been kept completely unchanged. Every flat surface was covered with souvenirs from their travels. Heaven knows how she ever managed to cook - there wasn't an inch of clear space.

mmatt Wed 24-Nov-21 08:48:53

Not sure if anyone's still watching this Christmas cake thread, but I came to Gran's Net this morning via googling "Supercook Christmas Cake recipe" - never expected to find it, and I'm now busy making the same cake that I made for years and years. I shed my volumes of Supercook (collected from the very beginning) when we moved, and this is really the only recipe I've missed. So pleased to find it!

aacrowe Sat 04-Nov-23 01:11:23

I have found this site in my quest to find a Supercook recipe that my late Mom and I used to make in the 1970s/1980s. I was so sure that I would remember the recipe for Biff a la Lindstrom and gave the magazine away. Now in old age, I think I remember the ingredients, but not the proportions. I have located the volume and page (Volume 2, page 169) but cannot locate the actual recipe. I hoping that some kind person might still have your copies of the magazine and might be so kind as to send me the recipe. Many thanks, in anticipation smile

denbylover Sat 04-Nov-23 03:30:28

Here the Edmonds Cookbook has been the go-to for years. It’s still good and I use it for baking. Now of course there are so many new publications it’s hard to choose. I use my own recipe book, a compilation of all sorts gathered over 50 yrs that’s used the most. I once heard a Chef on tv say, if you only use one recipe out of a new recipe book purchase, it’s a good investment.

kittylester Sat 04-Nov-23 08:12:08

I've just bought the Rick Sten book 'Simple Suppers' or something like that.

He talks about trying to produce a book which has lots of usable recipes in. I have found at least a dozen so far.

Redhead56 Sat 04-Nov-23 09:45:14

I have so many cookery books it’s ridiculous it’s a habit I can’t resist cookery books. The most expensive one I bought was when I attended catering college. Larousse Gastronomic which weighs a tonne it’s like an encyclopaedia for everything regarding food. If I come across something I am unsure of the book always has the answer. Not really necessary now because we have the internet but it was then when I purchased the book.

On an everyday basis a collection of Keith Floyd Rick Stein and Jamie Oliver books are used constantly. Books representing food from other countries interest me too variety is the spice of life.

Doodledog Sat 04-Nov-23 10:15:42

I have hundreds of them (literally), and plan to have a purge very soon. I enjoy cooking, and used to like flicking through them like magazines, but I have done that less lately - I am just as likely to use Google these days. I need to create more space, so plan to reduce them to 10%.

annsixty Sat 04-Nov-23 10:35:57

Although this thread is very old it makes lovely reading, posts from members long disappeared.
Some including me are still active though.