Gransnet forums

Food

Chocolate

(60 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Tue 22-Apr-14 11:45:24

I have decided, after munching through several makes - Cadburys, Marks and Sparks, Thorntons and Lindt - that the latter, Lindt, is the only one really worth getting fat for eating. It has got this wonderful malty aftertaste. And not too sweet.

Shame they've all it has gone. [sigh]

Granniepam Tue 22-Apr-14 12:13:32

Have you tried Hotel chocolat jings ? I was given not one but two assortments for Christmas - all else has paled into insignificance since.
Slight problem though - it is beyond my pocket! sad

annodomini Tue 22-Apr-14 12:39:07

The selection of chocolate bars in Lidl and Aldi is fantastic. I have to move fast to avoid temptation.

Mishap Tue 22-Apr-14 12:43:28

I never eat it - instant migraine! I watch others chomping on it with great envy!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 22-Apr-14 12:50:38

Oh yes! Forgot Aldi. Delicious.

Will try that one Grannyypam. Don't like dark choc though. Only milk.

Mishap loads of sympathy! sad

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 22-Apr-14 12:54:00

SALE!!!!!!!

annodomini Tue 22-Apr-14 13:41:24

You are a wicked temptress, jingl. wink

rosesarered Tue 22-Apr-14 13:45:04

Hope that you all realise that chocolate is addictive? I did'nt until recently.
Stopped having any choc as part of my diet back in Jan. Now don't seem to want any at all.Good news for teeth and waistline.

janerowena Tue 22-Apr-14 14:14:00

I have to buy DBH hotel chocolat. And yes, he is addicted. He says that they are the only chocolate he will eat - and then eats all of our cheap ones if they have been hanging around for too long. As in - he started on one of mine yesterday, a green&black's one. I was furious. He opened his hotel chocolat a day early, ate his green&black's on Sunday plus a large Xaramel egg of DS's that he didn't want - then ate almost half of mine last night!

I like galaxy milk chocolate, but Aldi's is excellent. Choceur. Their dark with hazelnuts, and milk with almonds, are lovely.

Yes, the others are all too sweet. Even the green&black's milk chocolate, which really surprised me. It left a horrible aftertaste in my mouth.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 22-Apr-14 14:17:29

You must sympathise with him janerowena. We He can't help his addiction. flowers for him.

I must steer clear of Aldi for a while! shock Got to shed a few pounds after this. hmm

granjura Tue 22-Apr-14 14:22:02

Just cannot eat very sweet and 'fatty' chocolate these days. Our favourite is Lindt, dark 70% with a touch of sea-salt. The salt actually really emphasises the lovely bitterness- wonderful. Just 2 squares every evening, slowly - wow.

janerowena Tue 22-Apr-14 14:34:11

I haven't had any Lindt for ages, maybe I should give it another go.

So, would you steal borrow someone else's chocolate egg, jingl? I have a friend who regularly eats all of her son's chocolate, he resorted to hiding it under his mattress but she still found it! I just never dreamt that DBH would take mine, so I know he must have been feeling really desperate! It did rather shock me.

annodomini Tue 22-Apr-14 14:46:00

Lindt dark chocolate with chilli is rather moreish.

Joelise Tue 22-Apr-14 14:49:32

My DD bought me a box of Lindt Lindor chocolates, they are fantastic!!! Trouble is , when they've gone, I might be tempted to buy more!

feetlebaum Tue 22-Apr-14 15:21:32

I enjoy Green & Black 70% - but I can make a bar last!

Milk chocolate makes me think of cocoa flavoured lard...

whenim64 Tue 22-Apr-14 15:33:02

Aldi's Choceur chilli chocolate, dirt cheap, and Hotel Chocolat rocky road slab, ridiculously expensive.....both equally more-ish! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 22-Apr-14 16:08:51

I would only "use up" son's chocolate if he left it in his room here for a ridiculously long time. Can't be expected to hold out forever can I? smile

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 22-Apr-14 16:09:37

(That was to janerowena btw)

annodomini Tue 22-Apr-14 16:33:53

At the weekend I discovered a real treat in Lidl - Dark Chocolate Spanish Turon with whole almonds. So that was my 'Easter Egg' and I dare not weigh myself. Ever again!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 22-Apr-14 17:09:33

Lindt extra creamy <wipes drool off keyboard>
Lindt mint (dark) when I am being virtuous - can stop at 2 squares. Not a chance with the milk

janerowena Tue 22-Apr-14 19:13:33

I do like mint...

Has anyone ever bought chocolates destined for the arab market by mistake? Maltesers, for example. I bought some in a garage once, they had bought them from a wholesalers and they were far sweeter than ours, they were gross.

Yes, jingl, I do understand that. In fact I found some in DS's room recently, left from xmas. I was very good and didn't touch it, which was just as well because he had left it there on purpose! It was a good job that DBH hadn't found it first. DS is one of those annoying people who take a month to eat an Easter egg. It takes me three days, and DBH three minutes.

annodomini Tue 22-Apr-14 19:42:13

feetle, I don't normally like milk chocolate, but your description of it as 'cocoa flavoured lard' has probably put me off for good. Well done! grin

janerowena Tue 22-Apr-14 19:58:20

I have bought boxes of truffles from these people as presents - because I was once bought a box and they were gorgeous, but very expensive.

www.chocolategourmet.co.uk/Default.aspx

And if like my mother you only like hard centres, then Fortnum&Mason are the only company left to make hard centred chocolates only.

durhamjen Tue 22-Apr-14 23:56:34

Feetle, there was research on a programme last night about chocolate, and I think one of the bars was Green and Black's 70%. You had to eat a 100g.bar to get enough flavonols for health.
The only one that gave you enough flavonols without making you fat was Tesco Ecuadorian, I think. But the scientist said it might be different next week. You only needed two squares of that one.
I like Green and Blacks, because it's usually organic, which means it doesn't have the 30 pesticides that are in non-organic chocolate.

granjura Wed 23-Apr-14 16:05:54

feetle - lol - which is why English chocolate does not have the right to be called 'chocolat' here- just too much fat, including the dreaded and rain-forest destructive palm oil, and sugar, and too little cocoa beans.