Gransnet forums

Food

crumpets

(29 Posts)
ninathenana Sun 01-Mar-15 22:33:59

What brand would you recommend?
DH and I have tried a few. We don't like Warburtons and have just cooked Asda own for supper. These we found particularly nasty.

merlotgran Sun 01-Mar-15 22:37:34

We had Aldi's own brand for supper tonight - with butter and marmite.

Ana Sun 01-Mar-15 22:39:15

Nasty in what way, nina?

ninathenana Sun 01-Mar-15 22:50:26

Funny taste Ana I can't really put my finger on it.

hildajenniJ Sun 01-Mar-15 22:52:18

Home made crumpets are the best, but what a faff it is to make them. DH usually buys them. I prefer the ones from Aldi to Warburtons.

absent Sun 01-Mar-15 23:15:48

They're not really a faff to make: less than 10 minutes to mix the ingredients and about 8 minutes to cook. The only reason why it seems a chore is because the mixture needs to stand for 1 hour, plus an additional 10 minutes to rise, but you can always cook something else, vacuum the floor, pull up some weeds or wander off and read a book in the meantime.

Teetime Mon 02-Mar-15 14:41:43

Sainsbury's ones are lovely but are the dreaded carbs so I don't eat them anymore.

janerowena Mon 02-Mar-15 15:31:58

Aldi vote here too. I used to make them with the children, but now it's only DS who eats them when he is at home in the winter. I've bought Tesco value ones in the past, he says they are ok. The aldi ones just look nicer to me.

FlicketyB Tue 03-Mar-15 13:52:24

DD, considers herself a crumpet connoisseur. She will not eat crumpets from Tesco as she says they taste disgusting. I am not sure which ones she prefers.

Galen Tue 03-Mar-15 13:56:37

Warbutons for me. I'm going off this thread now before I succomb and have one!
It's my fast day. I'm trying the 5/2 diet with the help of those ready meals!

JoyBloggs Tue 03-Mar-15 14:14:14

Warburton's every time... Looking forward to one at 4 o'clock today!

ninathenana Tue 03-Mar-15 14:23:47

You are very disciplined to have just one JoyBloggs I always thought crumpets came in pairs grin

We find Warburtons claggy.

JoyBloggs Tue 03-Mar-15 14:35:38

nina A pair of crumpets sounds good to me but having just eaten an enormous, late lunch I think I should leave it till tomorrow to follow your example! smile

vegasmags Tue 03-Mar-15 15:49:09

I don't care whose brand they are as long as they are cooked until deep brown and almost burned. I just can't abide half done crumpets!

PRINTMISS Wed 04-Mar-15 07:59:44

Neither can I vegasmags and I like the really thick ones, with lots of butter and maybe some honey or syrup. Yes I know! but at my age who cares.

granjura Wed 04-Mar-15 19:27:46

Argghhh no crumpets here... now I want some. Never made my own- have you?

OH and his brother always joked about a 'bit of crumpet' when i first lived in London- of course didn't have a clue what their were on about.

JoyBloggs Wed 04-Mar-15 19:41:10

nina TWO crumpets this afternoon... great! Any more nice tips like that will be much appreciated. Can't understand why I've never thought of it myself! smile

shysal Wed 04-Mar-15 20:23:02

They are making crumpets on the Comic Relief Bake Off right now!

kittylester Thu 05-Mar-15 07:17:16

GF crumpets are almost indistinguishable from 'proper' ones. I have 2 Genius' one for breakfast on Saturday and Sunday! It's my weekend treat so I have them almost burnt with butter and syrup! Lovely!!

granjura Fri 06-Mar-15 12:44:11

just caught the end of it Shysal- but didn't get the recipe. Anyone got a simple recipe, please. I do not have those rings either- but will ask OH to pick some when he goes next month.

trendygran Fri 06-Mar-15 19:28:19

M+ S Crumpets are the best I've tasted recently. Warburtons not bad either.

rosequartz Fri 06-Mar-15 19:33:44

I just bought some from Waitrose today, yet to try them.
Probably no better than any others.

I did see them making crumpets on the Bakeoff, and thought - why would you bother!

Lona Fri 06-Mar-15 19:41:04

I usually buy Warburtons and I like them well done too, so I microwave them for 30 secs before toasting them on the highest setting of the toaster.
Lovely and crispy on the bottom!

Miriam Sat 07-Mar-15 15:43:00

Warburtons for me. They are the right thickness and toast beautifully.

shysal Sat 07-Mar-15 16:12:33

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/crumpets_61013
This is Paul Hollywood's recipe. There is a Youtube video, but it doesn't give the quantities. I have ordered some rings, so look forward to giving them a try. I had forgotten that the batter contains both yeast and bicarb.