Gransnet forums

Food

red cabbage anyhone?

(47 Posts)
LuckyDucky Tue 02-Feb-16 18:18:12

I found out recently red cabbage has 6 times Vitamin C than green ones. Also, the GI is v low. It has all sorts of dietary and antioxidants. It's
better steamed than microwaved. .

I found 2 recipes for Spicy red cabbage; the other for Sticky red cabbage; I married some ingredients from both. I never let vinegar near it. grin

One day, the media will discover red cabbage and call it a super food.

Iam64 Tue 02-Feb-16 18:23:28

It makes a great salad as well

grannylyn65 Tue 02-Feb-16 18:25:46

like the sound of sticky red cabbage !?

phoenix Tue 02-Feb-16 18:29:32

Braised red cabbage is very good with venison.

Leticia Tue 02-Feb-16 18:46:51

It freezes very well, so I do a huge batch at a time.

M0nica Tue 02-Feb-16 19:08:17

I grew my own in 2015. It is the first time I had tried and I got 8 good size heads. I stored them in a cold shed, but they really need to be hung up so they are not touching ny thing.

I cooked the last three up at the weekend and put them in containers in 2 portion sizes and put them in the freezer. I cooked them with a little stock, onion, smoked bacon and chestnuts.

Jalima Tue 02-Feb-16 19:38:46

I love red cabbage; DH isn't so keen so freezing portions seems like a good idea instead of buying it from M&S

Indinana Tue 02-Feb-16 19:53:54

I love it. One very simple and quick recipe I use is to finely slice the cabbage (remove the thick stalks) and also finely slice a large red onion. Stir fry in olive oil with 8-10 crushed juniper berries and a couple of crushed garlic cloves. Absolutely delicious smile

Katek Tue 02-Feb-16 20:21:13

It's very tasty cooked with apple as well.

loopylou Tue 02-Feb-16 20:30:15

I love it raw in coleslaw.

Alea Tue 02-Feb-16 20:45:32

My red cabbage recipe is a traditional East Prussian one and always uses both vinegar and sugar. Also either juniper berries cloves depending on preference, apples, onions, and spices. It is best cooked very slowly (never microwaved or steamed) the day before, then reheated with a little slaked cornflour and red currant jelly stirred through it to give that rich shiny red finish.

Alea Tue 02-Feb-16 20:46:39

That should have been "juniper berries or whole cloves " of course.

Anya Tue 02-Feb-16 21:26:35

Love it, either braised or in a Nigella's rainbow coleslaw (sweet and sour coleslaw)

Anya Tue 02-Feb-16 21:27:09

Or as sourkraut (sp?)

Alea Tue 02-Feb-16 22:12:54

Sauerkraut is thinly sliced white cabbage pickled with sugar and something else, maybe spices, which sets off a reaction producing I think lactic acid to pickle the cabbage, thus preserving it.
Love that too!
(Channelling my inner Angela Merkel)

Anya Wed 03-Feb-16 06:34:13

You can make it with red cabbage too. I make my own and you use salt, not sugar to ferment it, not really a pickling process.

JackyB Wed 03-Feb-16 07:18:50

Here in Germany and in most of central Europe it is very popular in winter and, because it goes well with dark meat and game is considered obligatory at the Christmas dinner table or with the St Martin's day goose.

However, it is also a favourite every day veg and people say that it tastes better when re-heated. When I asked a Belgian colleague, she said that it counts mainly as a weekday dish there and would be served with sausages or such.

When I was an au pair, I learned to cook it this way:

Boil the whole head of the cabbage for about 45-50 mins (depending on size) and then cut it into strips. Cook the cabbage in a closed saucepan with: Strips of onion, chopped apple, a pinch of sugar, salt and a shot of vinegar.

I've never cooked it like that myself since, but cut it up raw (on the bread slicer, and wearing rubber gloves - it stains like mad), then cook in a closed pan on a low heat with the other ingredients as given above. It needs no water. I'm never sure how long to cook it, but the colour should have pervaded the cabbage pieces, which have white edges when first cut. (The apples and onion will be dark red, too) You can't cook it too long or too often.

Some recipes I have tried include adding raisins, port wine, or red wine. All are nice, especially for a special Christmas or Boxing Day meal.

Maybe the vinegar is to counteract the heavy meat you eat it with, but it is always included. You can't really taste it once it's cooked for a while. Malt vinegar is unknown outside the UK so we're talking wine or cider vinegar here.

In our part of Germany it's called Rotkraut (red cabbage) but it's also known as Blaukraut (blue cabbage) - actually it's purple - but "Blaukraut" gives rise to a few tongue twisters, so it's stayed in the language for that reason!

Alea Wed 03-Feb-16 07:45:58

I wonder if the interchangeable names "Rotkohl" and "Rotkraut" are regional? I know red cabbage as RotKOHL, but pickled cabbage as SauerKRAUT.
Food for thought (see what I did there?)

Alea Wed 03-Feb-16 07:55:10

blush Anya of course you are right. What on earth made me say sugar instead of salt I don't know, it's like Left instead of Right when giving directions.
So this morning I looked up a traditional recipe which also pointed out that it becomes fermented hence, the keeping qualities. Sauerkraut really is a potential "superfood". If people find commercial sauerkraut too strong, straight out of the jar, it can be rinsed before heating without losing its nutritional qualities.

For making German sauerkraut you can produce1 quart at a time by fermenting it in a Mason jar. Sauerkraut came to Europe via Asia, where people have been pickling cabbage for thousands of years. Because of its high vitamin C content, it was very useful in preventing scurvy and keeping people healthy throughout the winter months when no fresh food was available.
To make your own sauerkraut, you will rely on the bacteria found on the cabbage leaves. The salt draws out the water and kills off the spoilage bacteria

Teetime Wed 03-Feb-16 09:07:35

Yes we love red cabbage but all I do is lightly steam it and serve as it is or grated into salad. I confess to liking the pickled kind too on salads and with cold cuts.

Anya Wed 03-Feb-16 09:30:49

JackyB if I'm cooking red cabbage I add a tiny pinch of sugar, and then a splash of vinegar - any kind. This bring the colour back to a vivid red. It's an acid (the acetic in vinegar) reacting with the litmus-like compound in the red cabbage, turning red.

Anya Wed 03-Feb-16 09:33:18

Glad I'm not driving with you Alea - it's bad enough with a daughter who can't tell left from right wink

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 03-Feb-16 09:34:06

I like it in pubs. But they add spices. Or something.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 03-Feb-16 09:35:36

Yes. Probably like Alea's. I will go to her house for my dinner.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 03-Feb-16 09:36:31

"Channelling my inner Angela Merkel"

Love it! grin