Gransnet forums

Food

Live webchat with top TV chef James Martin - Thurs 25 Oct 3.30-4.30pm

(92 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 11-Oct-12 10:03:21

Great excitement at GNHQ that James will be joining us for a live webchat. Presenter of BBC's Saturday Kitchen and formerly a regular team member on Ready Steady Cook he's one of the UK's most popular TV chefs. His most successful book to date - Desserts - was published in 2007 and accompanied the TV series Sweet Baby James (can highly recommend the rhubarb with baked parkin grin). His new book is Slow Cooking: Mouthwatering recipes with minimum effort. We like minimum effort...

Add your questions for him here.

whenim64 Thu 11-Oct-12 10:15:16

Oh, I luuuurve James Martin. Watch him very Saturday morning. I just bought his Masterclass book for my sister and she served up the best pasta she's ever made the other night.

James, can I ask a non-cooking question, please? Speaking as a former hostage to two clumber spaniels - how on earth did you manage to train your lovely clumber Fudge to keep from trampling through your veg plots? grin

glassortwo Thu 11-Oct-12 14:21:04

Ohhh James Martin do you need any help in the office that day cari I am available. Bet he brings you a cake shock
I will have to go and cool down before I think of a question grin

robbo Fri 12-Oct-12 11:20:26

hello James
I have 20 family which includes six under 5's for a casual boxing day lunch can you give me a slow cooker recipe that is just a little bit special . Chicken beef or lamb. All three son in laws fancy themselves as gourmet cooks so I am really up against it .Slow cooking great idea so I dont have to spend all my time in the kitchen and can enjoy the day.
Many thanks

GrandmaH Fri 12-Oct-12 12:55:32

I love my slow cooker but is it necessary to brown the meat before going into the pot? The whole point of the cooker to my mind is that it is really quick & easy. Browning the meat & onions etc first rather spoils one pot idea but I was always told that you had to brown the meat to get the extra flavour. Does it really make much difference?
And to be cheeky please & ask 2 questions- are there any good desserts I can do in it?
hank you
Hx

Lindylooby Fri 12-Oct-12 16:04:07

I love cooking, and watch you every Saturday. Have you got a foolproof curry recipe for the slow cooker? I love my slow cooker but curry never seems to taste that good?Please, please answer this question - I want to amaze friends when they come over.

glitabo Fri 12-Oct-12 16:35:43

Yes please do answer Lindylooby's question. and if you make it low fat, that would be even better.

glassortwo Fri 12-Oct-12 16:38:23

Hello James, do you have any good low fat recipes for the slow cooker.

eGJ Fri 12-Oct-12 17:23:15

Please James have you any foolproof soup recipes for the slow cooker, that take minumun effort?

JayP Fri 12-Oct-12 19:27:42

Hi James, love your show and my slow cooker. I have a friend who cooked rice pudding in his slow cooker but when I tired it always turns out dry and horrible. Any ideas ?

Winefride Fri 12-Oct-12 21:21:00

My slow cooker recipes can tend to taste the same any suggestions

merlotgran Sat 13-Oct-12 20:54:01

Hi James, Your book is well timed as I suspect slow cooking will become very popular this winter as fuel costs continue to rise and we're all watching the food budget. I also like using a pressure cooker for cheaper cuts of meat. Have you any plans to include recipes for pressure cookers in future books?

glitabo Sun 14-Oct-12 00:41:28

I have a small slow cooker for 1 or 2 servings. Do your recipes convert easily to smaller quantities? I have ordered your book but have not seen it yet so I am assuming that most recipes are for 4 people. Thank you.

glitabo Sun 14-Oct-12 13:11:58

My last post seems like an obvious question I suppose the answer could be just divide everything by 2 but it is not as simple as that when it comes to herbs, spices and stock etc. At least I think that is the case, but this could be utter drivel.

glassortwo Wed 17-Oct-12 14:46:37

I am terrible for throwing this and that in a pot without any real thought, what basics would you use in a savoury dish as your base flavours.

Hattiehelga Fri 19-Oct-12 10:36:24

I have been cooking for over fifty years - somewhat immodestly I can say with a good degree of success, especially puddings !! However, I have never mastered Flaky or Puff Pastry even after following instructions to the letter many times. Have you any tips James please ?

Mamie Fri 19-Oct-12 17:58:12

Hi James
My question is about slow cooking in a cooling, wood-fired bread oven. We have had the bread oven for about three years and have got pretty good at bread, pizza and tarts. We haven't yet used the potential of the oven as it cools from about 250c to 50c over 12 hours. Our neighbours here in Normandy would love us to make the local speciality, Tergoule, but we already get that at every village event and frankly, a little bit of rice pudding goes a long way!
So ideas, savoury or sweet would be very welcome.

Grannyknot Sat 20-Oct-12 07:33:41

Hi James, I read somewhere yesterday that you used to date Barbara Broccoli and that she showered you in expensive gifts, so I'm impressed that you even bother with slow cooking! Here's my question: do you always have to have everything you cook in the slow cooker swimming in liquid? For example - what is the best way to do a 'pot roast' of say a rolled brisket in the slow cooker? (if that's even possible).

Grannyknot Sat 20-Oct-12 07:34:35

that shd be with expensive gifts ... smile

GraniSuz Sun 21-Oct-12 12:33:42

I did Beef Stew & dumplings yesterday in my Slow Cooker for the first time - I followed the recipe to the letter but my dumplings still weren't cooked. Should I boil them first & then add them to the Slow Cooker? Thank you James - this subject has come up at just the right time smile smile XX

glammanana Tue 23-Oct-12 11:15:26

How lucky are GNHQ to have you in the office to-day,I have used a slow cooker for years as I always worked full time when my family where young and mr.glamma worked shift work so there was always something good and wholesome on the go,but can you tell me do you find it acceptable to cheat with a ready from the tin side dish such as Potatoe Gratin or similar knowing that really it is easy to do yourself but don't quite have enough time.Love your show and hope to see you at some demo's here on Wirral next year if possible on your busy schedule. tel no.05... 6.. 0.... just leave a message grin

tillysnana Tue 23-Oct-12 16:25:34

Hello James - can I be greedy and ask two questions? I've always wondered how the chefs feel on Ready Steady Cook when they are presented with some of the odd combinations that come out of the bags.Do you get told in advance?

And on slow cooking - I'd like advice on how to cook beef (stewing steak) so that it's so tender it simply falls to bits when you touch it. Not quite sure where I am going wrong.

Thank you in advance

cleopatra Wed 24-Oct-12 15:39:12

I would love ideas for entertaining that can be prepared well in advance and served up without me having to spend half the evening in the kitchen faffing and browning and finishing.

marionh Wed 24-Oct-12 15:46:31

What cuts of meat are best for long slow cooking? When I am in the supermarket there seem to be so many and I am never sure what is best for what

Stansgran Wed 24-Oct-12 15:54:54

I am a slow cooker fan but my question is about a pork dish you cooked for TV (during the programme on watercress)and served very undercooked-I thought undercooked pork=worms-does this still hold true or have times changed?