Gransnet forums

Food

Sandwich fillings

(43 Posts)
Mamie Thu 07-Mar-13 08:28:44

Ideas please! My cholesterol was up a bit last year and my doctor suggested cutting out cheese. This I have done and my level has indeed gone down. We try and avoid too much processed meat as well. We always have a sandwich type lunch, but this winter we have been making a lot of soup. Now spring is coming, I am struggling with ideas for sandwich fillings. We have tuna once a week and cold chicken sometimes, but could do with some more ideas. We do a lot of hard labour in the garden so light salad lunches are not enough to keep us going and we tend to work all morning so no time for a lot of preparation either. OH makes all our bread, so wholemeal brown rolls are always ready to hand.

Orca Thu 07-Mar-13 08:46:55

Smoked salmon with gravlax.

Butty Thu 07-Mar-13 08:51:24

Hummus and cucumber.

Red Pepper hummus and rocket + dash of lemon

glammanana Thu 07-Mar-13 08:53:41

Bacon lettuce and tomato mixed with extra light mayo,trim all the fat from bacon first and load up on the toms very satisfying.

Mamie Thu 07-Mar-13 09:00:08

Love smoked salmon, but also try not to eat too much salty stuff and once you open the packet you tend to have to eat it for a few days we find. Funnily enough Butty we often used to eat taramasalata, hummus and pitta bread for lunch in the UK. We do make hummus here sometimes, but OH likes it more than I do. We can get quite nice tarama in Lidl, but the stuff in the supermarkets is a bit strange, I find. Good ideas though, keep them coming!

Mamie Thu 07-Mar-13 09:03:36

Love bacon Glamma, but not really available here. We can buy poitrine fumée, but you would struggle to get the fat off and it is very salty. My favourite all time indulgent sandwich is bacon and roquefort, but that is off!

Mamalinda Thu 07-Mar-13 09:04:13

I love things with marmite or bovril - such as watercress or cucumber or tomato or radish or a combination of them all. My mum used to have this when I was little along with pork dripping sandwiches and also occasionally a bar of 5-boys chocolate.
There is a slow release carb one that is very filling - granary bread with peanut butter and sliced bananas.
Now I am feeling really hungry!

Orca Thu 07-Mar-13 09:14:59

*Mamie' buy the smallest packets or freeze the left over salmon. Isn't taramasalata very high in saturated fats?
Banana sandwiches?
Egg and tomato. Take the skin off the tomato first.
There are myths about eggs. They may be high in cholesterol but it's not dietary cholesterol that's the problem. Your body will break that down. It's saturated and trans-fats that the body uses to build up cholesterol.

Mamie Thu 07-Mar-13 09:26:25

Thanks Orca, had forgotten about freezing salmon. Yes tarama not very good I think and we have pretty much stopped eating it, though still sometimes indulge when we are in the UK. Eggs also a good idea, will put those on the menu, I love egg sandwiches. Love marmite too, but never sure about how much salt there is? Will give banana a try too. Would banana and dates work? Am also looking into the low fat cheeses, but no cottage cheese here and not sure I fancy a ricotta sandwich?

kittylester Thu 07-Mar-13 09:37:42

I love mashed sardine or pilchards (in tomato sauce) with lots of black pepper a dash of vinegar (balsamic - if it's to your taste) and sliced red onions.

I envy people making and eating sandwiches. GF bread is useless for sandwiches - it collapses.sad I make focaccia, which is nice, but isn't 'bread' sadsad

JustMe Thu 07-Mar-13 09:44:13

Oh, I love sandwiches, tuna being my favourite. Although any sandwich appeals to me.

How about...
-prawn and low fat mayonnaise with lots of cucumber
-sliced turkey, cranberry sauce and rocket
-egg mayonnaise with lots of cress
-tinned red salmon and finely chopped cucumber
-cooked chicken breast with salad leaves and low fat mayo (cook a couple of breasts in the oven with some sort of rub on it next time you have the oven on)
-roasted red pepper (either roast yourself or you can buy in jars) with a small bit of goats cheese and salad leaves

Vary all the above by using pitta bread or paninis.

Can you tell I love sandwiches?!

Mamie Thu 07-Mar-13 09:46:17

Ooo yes that sounds good. Sympathise over GF, we made it for a friend and it was very strange. Love focaccia, but especially with big grains of salt on top hmm

absent Thu 07-Mar-13 10:14:38

Orca Taramasalata has about 46 g fat per 100 g but I am not sure if all of it is saturated. But then people don't usually eat an enormous amount of it in one sandwich.

Mamie Ricotta and rocket is quite a nice combination. Low-fat cheeses besides ricotta (11 g fat per 100 g), include soft goat's cheeses (about 16 g fat), feta (just over 20 g) and mozzarella (21 g)

Orca Thu 07-Mar-13 11:39:42

You're correct Absent spread thinly on a sandwich not much at all. I tend to eat it the Greek way, piled high on pitta bread! Luckily I have naturally low cholesterol.

absent Thu 07-Mar-13 13:08:11

Orca indeed, yes, plus lots of Kalamata olives. [yum yum emoticon]

Orca Thu 07-Mar-13 14:24:06

With a feta cheese salad on the side? Full of juicy sun ripened on the vine tomatoes?

janthea Thu 07-Mar-13 14:38:41

Egg mayonnaise
Beef with horseradish
Chicken with stuffing
Fresh salmon mashed up with mayonnaise. Useful for using left overs.

Jay1952 Thu 07-Mar-13 15:15:46

Chorizo......yummy

kittylester Thu 07-Mar-13 17:45:28

Mamie I love salt on focaccia and, because I feeling so sorry for myself that it's the only bread I can eat, I put far too much on when I made and froze it, and it's a bit of an effort to eat it. Only 4 more pieces in the freezer though. sad Next lot are going to be sundried tomato and caramelised red onion. smile

janeainsworth Thu 07-Mar-13 18:29:06

Good old tinned salmon on brown bread with cucumber and a bit of mayonnaise smile

Stansgran Thu 07-Mar-13 18:49:07

Home made hummus is better than preserved stuff. It's cleaning out the liquidiser after that's the pain

annodomini Thu 07-Mar-13 18:49:25

Hot smoked salmon (available for reasonable price at Lidl and Aldi) with philadelphia cheese on wholemeal or granary bread.
Egg and cress with mayo also on wholemeal or granary bread.

Orca Thu 07-Mar-13 20:31:36

I once tried my hand at making home made humus. Half way through I realised I'd put in too much tahini so upped the other ingredients pro rata. I ended up with gallons of the stuff. Fed it to the seagulls in the end.

Orca Thu 07-Mar-13 20:32:20

Hummus not humus!

Bags Thu 07-Mar-13 21:02:48

Don't tell anyone on the processed meat thread, but I really like a bacon butty once in a while, or a cold sausage sandwich with chutney.