Gransnet forums

Food

TONIGHT`S DINNER

(917 Posts)
sparkygran Tue 17-Jun-14 18:24:17

Tonight we had Chicken Kiev with Lyonnaise potatoes. I have to admit the CK was not made by me but a local butcher whose ready meals are really, really good but I did make the Lyonnaise potatoes myself and I know I shouldn`t blow my own trumpet but it was a good meal

rosesarered Tue 17-Jun-14 18:27:28

Sounds yummy smileI am making a mild chicken curry [because it's easy and we like it.] Also a glass of this.... wine

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 17-Jun-14 18:30:59

I have had a WeightWatchers Cottage Pie. With mange-tout. It was surprisingly nice.

DH had re-heated lamb stew from yesterday.

sparkygran Tue 17-Jun-14 18:34:08

I perhaps forgot to add that I too was indulging wine wine am I a bad person - I do hope not

Nelliemoser Tue 17-Jun-14 19:07:20

A very light 5:2 fast day dinner. Salad one boiled egg and some chopped up Quorn "bacon" slices just to give it a bit of zing. I did really overeat at the weekend when we were way so I needed a break.

merlotgran Tue 17-Jun-14 19:08:24

We had curry pasties which I made and froze last week. I usually find a pack of diced beef to be too much for two portions of curry so bulking out the leftovers with veg makes another delicious meal.

Bez Tue 17-Jun-14 19:16:21

I thought we were having lamb cutlets when I took the meat out of the freezer this morning but when I came to start cooking found they were slices of duck breast!! No problem just had those instead with home made dauphinois potatoes and haricots beurre ( yellow looking French beans but delicious)

Maggiemaybe Tue 17-Jun-14 19:30:18

We've had lemon chicken which has been simmering nicely in the slow cooker all day. The recipe called for white wine so I had to check out a half-full bottle that has sat on our cellar steps for a few weeks, in case it had gone off. I felt a bit like Peter Barlow tippling before 7 am.

shysal Tue 17-Jun-14 19:35:01

It is a fasting day for me and I have been out, so I had a braised steak and mash meal for one by M&S, for 183 calories. I filled the rest of the plate with carrots and Savoy cabbage.

tanith Tue 17-Jun-14 20:09:07

Meal for one tonight a plain chicken fillet in a sesame seed bun and a pile of salad it was very tasty especially the French mayo .

rosequartz Tue 17-Jun-14 20:12:17

Bez grin sounds like our sort of meal!

NanKate Tue 17-Jun-14 20:16:58

Fresh pasta (not made by me) mushrooms, arribata sauce and a sprinkling of Parmesan. Followed by a warm egg custard each. White wine spritzer. Seems rather a lot when I read it back to myself. hmm

NanKate Tue 17-Jun-14 20:19:18

I'm not much of a cook so can you tell me what Lyonnaise and Dauphinois potatoes are please ?

kittylester Tue 17-Jun-14 20:36:22

Lyonnaise potatoes are previously boiled potatoes fried with onions - delicious!

Dauphinoise are thinly sliced uncooked potatoes layered with thinly slice onions, covered in cream and topped with grated cheese ( usually gruyere) then baked ! doubly delicious!

rosequartz Tue 17-Jun-14 20:39:01

Sometimes I do them with garlic as well. Yum! No calories either.

feetlebaum Tue 17-Jun-14 20:39:17

Lyonnaise re best sautéed (with onions as above) in butter, with parsley.

JessM Tue 17-Jun-14 21:24:01

Sausages and coleslaw. Picnic on a deserted but very sunny beach.
Runs away saying la-la-lala-la grin

HollyDaze Tue 17-Jun-14 21:29:21

Yum! No calories either.

grin We really do need a laugh smiley sometimes!

I had haddock, petit pois, little gem lettuce, tomatoes and coleslaw. Followed by fresh pineapple and jelly (trying to grow my nails).

rosequartz Tue 17-Jun-14 21:31:15

We were going to finish with strawberries, blueberries and icecream, but I have been on GN all evening.

Never too late for pudding.

HollyDaze Tue 17-Jun-14 21:33:47

You do make me chuckle rosequartz grin

vegasmags Tue 17-Jun-14 22:11:49

Chili con carne with wild rice. Made 6 portions, ate one tonight, second is in the fridge for tomorrow and the other 4 are in the freezer. Then had strawberries and fromage frais. Its my Slimming World weigh in tomorrow, so hoping for a pound off.

Mishap Tue 17-Jun-14 22:21:43

Oh heavens - we had mackerel on toast. Grounds for divorce I guess. But he doesn't eat what I spend ages cooking anyway - just groans and looks pained. No wonder he is so very very skinny!

NanKate Tue 17-Jun-14 22:23:19

Thanks Kitty for the explanation.

I'm feeling peckish as my neighbour is cooking something yummy and it is 10.20 and the smell is drifting up to my bedroom.

Charleygirl Tue 17-Jun-14 22:29:38

I had Sainsburys pork ribs with celery, sweetcorn, potao croquettes and the meal was delicious. There will be enough for tomorrow evening also.

kittylester Wed 18-Jun-14 08:25:16

Creamy chicken curry (a Madhur Jaffrey recipe) from the freezer with a Sainsbury's pilau rice.

My freezer is full to bursting so we are eating our way through it! grin