Gransnet forums

Food

Foods that you don't trust yourself with

(42 Posts)
TerriBull Tue 05-Aug-14 17:32:04

Do you have any food lying around your house that you simply don't trust yourself with? I'm talking grazing here rather than a proper meal. I have just finished off a lump of Stilton because it was there. I bought a piece to add to a homemade broccoli soup, but there was some left, I've just eaten it because it asked me to. Ditto chocolate, but none of the posh 90% per cent cocoa solids variety. That I can leave. I love the bog standard stuff that the EU would like to call something else other than chocolate. I've even stolen bits of my children's Easter eggs when they were young. Hence I never have it in the house, unless it's bought for me. Another guilty indulgence, and I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, peanut butter, I don't really want it in my home, but my son buys it. When I'm alone with a jar it shouts "eat me", I feel like Alice did when she fell down the rabbit hole, except I don't get any taller, or shrink for that matter!

How about you, any euphoria inducing foods that you just have to finish off?

whitewave Tue 05-Aug-14 17:46:27

chocolate, crisps, cake, toast and butter, bacon, eggs all sorts, cheese etc etc etc!!

Tegan Tue 05-Aug-14 18:04:07

In the days when I used to make little cakes for the children it was glace cherries and chocolate drops. Food now banned from the house; ice cream, cake, biscuits, chocolate, custard, cream,crisps, nutella, peanut butter [although I have got some for the mouse traps], butter, nuts of any kind. Cheese is a problem as I need some Cheddar for cooking and I get an irresistable urge to eat huge chunks of it late at night. Fruit yoghurt; can only buy one at a time, if I buy two or three I eat all of them. I sometimes have a lot of willpower but, when it goes it goes in a big way, including eating cake I've put in the fridge to freeze to stop me eating it. And I can eat without stopping at times; I don't think I have the mechanism that tells you to stop eating because you're full sad.

BeeWitch Tue 05-Aug-14 18:07:54

coleslaw - will eat it straight out of the bowl (don't make it that often and that's why)

Deedaa Tue 05-Aug-14 22:02:48

Cheese is the worst one - especially wensleydale with cranberries. If there's any left in the packet I have to finish it!

MrsPickle Tue 05-Aug-14 22:04:47

Cheese. That's it.

Agus Tue 05-Aug-14 22:12:53

Cheese for me too. Must have my fix of cheese every day. Any flavour.

Terrafirma1 Tue 05-Aug-14 22:17:15

Thornton's Squares, peanut butter and almond butter. Yum!

Nanabelle Wed 06-Aug-14 00:39:50

Daren't buy nutella and the magnums don't last long in our freezer if I spot them in there. Another cheese muncher too. When on S World, I would grate up 2 oz portions and freeze them - great for topping on a baked potato and no temptation in the fridge.
Funny how things like ryvitas are not eaten until the packet is gone! wink

Wheniwasyourage Wed 06-Aug-14 09:40:15

Chocolate and grapes. I don't bake very often now as we would just eat it and yet don't miss it if it isn't there. If a box of chocolates is unopened, it can last for months, but once it is opened it has the life expectancy of a snowflake on a barbecue.

ninathenana Wed 06-Aug-14 09:44:53

Cheese for me too. I will often cut a piece to munch whilst cooking. I do eat most of the things others mention but I can take em or leave em. Except nutella, I certainly wouldn't touch that !

sunseeker Wed 06-Aug-14 09:49:23

Crisps, Magnum ice cream, nuts. Also I have to walk very fast past the bakers with that lovely smell of fresh baked bread!

henetha Wed 06-Aug-14 09:54:47

Peanut butter, peanut butter, and peanut butter. Can't leave it alone!

Brendawymms Wed 06-Aug-14 09:58:51

Any fruit but grapes especially and cherries. At the moment Picota cherries are available and I eat a whole packet at one go.
Can leave cheese and chocolate but love any jelly type sweets especially Turkish delight. Bought 2 kg of the stuff on holiday and it's all gone.

tiggypiro Wed 06-Aug-14 10:09:50

Chocolate - especially 70% - and cake

SueD Wed 06-Aug-14 12:24:05

Nutella and condensed milk (not together). Nutella on hot buttered crumpets and condensed milk straight from the tin that has preferably been in the fridge. Don't buy condensed milk these days and Nutella only
when the grandchildren visit . Unfortunately I then have to finish the jar!

FlicketyB Wed 06-Aug-14 12:49:56

Hummous

thatbags Wed 06-Aug-14 13:54:13

There aren't any. I eat when I'm hungry and if I'm not hungry I don't eat, not even stuff I really really like, because over-eating or eating when I don't need to just makes me uncomfortable. You can offer me a favourite food but if I'm not hungry I won't want to eat it.

soop Wed 06-Aug-14 14:16:28

bags delicious flapjacks...wink

suebailey1 Wed 06-Aug-14 14:20:20

Definitely chocolate - don't understand the two squares a night brigade - every morsel of a large bar goes pronto!

Crisp, biscuits and cake to a lesser extent but dont usually have them in the house unless we have guests and have now trained myself to have a matchbox size piece of chees every night 0 for the calcium you know.wink

We wont talk about the gin!

merlotgran Wed 06-Aug-14 14:23:39

I'm not a huge fan of chocolate or any sweet foods but cherry tomatoes straight from the garden I could eat forever.

Mamie Wed 06-Aug-14 15:00:38

I agree merlotgran. Love cherry tomatoes.
I don't buy salted almonds, because I just can't stop.

Nonnie Wed 06-Aug-14 15:16:49

Far too many things to list once they are opened. Until then I can ignore for weeks but just open and they seem to disappear!

Don't agree with those who mention fruit because surely that is good for us? Hmm, maybe it is the quantity, I have no problem eating a whole punnet of anything.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 06-Aug-14 15:55:36

The leftover remains of grandson' s birthday cake! shock

Getting smaller by the hour. #greedygranny

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 06-Aug-14 15:58:08

(It's chocolate cake of course)

Not that it would make any difference if it wasn't. hmm]