Gransnet forums

Food

Beetroot glut - help please!

(34 Posts)
Grannyknot Tue 23-Sep-14 11:34:54

We have way too many beets this year - lovely big ones. I want to make beetroot relish, so if anyone has a foolproof recipe please direct me to it!

I'm also passing on a very good tip I got from a chef - boil your beetroot whole in a "boil in the bag", the flavour when cooked liked that is immensely intense. More than I've ever tasted before!

Finally, a question, can I use a beetroot that I boiled on Saturday night and has been in the fridge since then to make the relish with, today?

Liz46 Tue 23-Sep-14 11:49:53

It is lovely chopped up and roasted in the oven with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add any courgettes, tomatoes etc. that you may have and mop up the juices with garlic bread.

TriciaF Tue 23-Sep-14 13:45:05

Beetroot relish - I've looked up a few recipes and it seems you can make the relish with either cooked or raw beetroot. Just takes a bit longer from raw.
We have lots of beetroot too, and this year are leaving them in the ground until needed. Last year dug them all up and they shrank while stored, so we'll see how well they keep outside.
I just boiled a few this morning.
You can make a cake with them too.

Grannyknot Tue 23-Sep-14 13:47:21

hi tricia yes we are leaving ours in the ground too. I'll have a go at making relish today with the one that I boiled last week. Will post here how I get on.

Penstemmon Tue 23-Sep-14 14:11:45

Boiled, pickled, chutnied, relished, roasted, pureed.. phew! i have a glut too.

Any alternative recipes for Jerusalen fartichokes? I have a lot of those too!

Lona Tue 23-Sep-14 14:15:54

A friend has made some chutney using beetroot and ginger, I haven't tasted it yet but it sounds a delicious combination to me smile

Grannylin Tue 23-Sep-14 14:54:00

I made this from the Morrisons magazine.Both the burgers and the salad are great..making more tonight!

www.morrisonsmag.co.uk/system/media/serve/morrisonsmag/september_2014/seasonal_heroes/rustic_beetroot_beefburgers.pdf

hildajenniJ Tue 23-Sep-14 14:54:29

What about jellied beetroot. Dice boiled, cooled beetroot, make up a blackcurrant jelly as per packet instructions but with slightly less water. Divide beetroot between individual dishes and cover with jelly. Place in fridge to set. Lovely with cold meat and salad.smile

hildajenniJ Tue 23-Sep-14 14:55:45

You could also use raspberry jelly instead, but it's a bit sweet for me.

Grannylin Tue 23-Sep-14 14:55:56

Re above recipe...don't know where the chicken appeared from but it's not part of the recipe!

Mamie Tue 23-Sep-14 15:12:26

We have a glut too, which is good because we both love beetroot. I never boil them, just stick them in the oven in foil with a bit of oil and balsamic vinegar. Chutney or relish are good and also love them as part of a roast vegetable mix. I love beetroot soup and with a huge glut would just make lots of soup and freeze it.
Artichokes we eat roast, in soup, in an artichoke and scallop tart and last year I did a slow-cooked winter salad from Marcella Hazan's book.

Anya Tue 23-Sep-14 16:02:09

Borsch is a lovely warming winter soup. I've never had enough left over to freeze but it's worth a try.

Anya Tue 23-Sep-14 16:03:09

Sorry Mamie I've just read to the end of your post. It does freeze then!

Elegran Tue 23-Sep-14 16:09:00

I make a very nice tomato and beetroot soup with roasted tomatoes, beetroot, onions and veggie stock, simmered soft and then blended. I serve it with some crumbled feta cheese. The colour is marvellous for winter, and the sharp feta sets off the earthy beetroot taste.

I must go and buy some beetroot!

chocolatepudding Tue 23-Sep-14 16:13:13

I have a lovely recipe for chocolate muffins using 2 cooked beetroot and a bar of chocolate of course!

FlicketyB Tue 23-Sep-14 16:45:48

Problem I have is DH HATES beetroot, a hangover from school dinners. However I am working hard at eating them, we also have a surplus of cucumbers so between the two we will be eating salad every day until November!

hespian Tue 23-Sep-14 16:50:29

I love beetroot risotto and also feta cheese and beetroot salad. Yummy. We've used all of ours now unfortunately!

Grannyknot Tue 23-Sep-14 17:41:56

All these sound so yummy! Will definitely try the recipes.

I made an extremely delicious relish.

Mamie hi smile we also both love beetroot having got past the vile sliced beetroot in vinegar variety only found in the best supermarkets!

Mamie Tue 23-Sep-14 17:50:21

Ugh the salads of my childhood! Hard vinegary beetroot, sad lettuce, cucumber, radish and soggy tomato, all served without dressing. Saturday lunch was the above with spam or porked luncheon meat and potato.
sad

Icyalittle Tue 23-Sep-14 17:57:59

Chocolate and beetroot cake is yummy.
At school we were given boiled beetroot in a white cornflour sauce. Slimy, sweet and disgusting. It haunts me still. Somehow I now love beetroot in all the various guises above.

rosequartz Tue 23-Sep-14 18:17:48

It is lovely chopped up and roasted in the oven with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add any courgettes, tomatoes etc. that you may have and mop up the juices with garlic bread.

Also roasted like that with just red onions and garlic plus some thyme. Then simmer it with the balsamic vinegar and some chicken stock to make a glaze. Lovely!

rosequartz Tue 23-Sep-14 19:17:02

I like beetroot chopped rather than sliced then dressed with a little red wine vinegar and a little sugar - lovely on top of a salad.

My SIL did cooked beetroot then poured a jar of sweet and sour sauce over it; she didn't tell us what it was but it was very nice and made a change from the malt vinegary beetroot we used to have years ago.

TriciaF Tue 23-Sep-14 19:25:24

Vinegar ruins beetroot, I think.
Another idea -someone suggested using plain yoghurt as a dressing for cooked beetroot.
I've never tried it.

rosequartz Tue 23-Sep-14 19:32:23

I only use a tablespoon or so of red wine vinegar to quite a dishful of beetroot, but then I would dress my salad with some olive oil and wine or cider vinegar anyway - just plonk the cubed beetroot on instead.

Grannyknot Tue 23-Sep-14 21:02:07

mamie I've just realised it is probably sacrilegious to boil our garden beetroot in a "boil in the bag" bag, but it really does taste delicious. Will roast the next batch.

Yes, salads have evolved, have they not. I made one recently using whatever was in the fridge, some leaves, feta, left over roast butternut, a few baby tomatoes, finely sliced red onion, sprinkled with pomegranate seeds and a home made dressing - yummy.