Gransnet forums

Food

Nutribullet

(62 Posts)
Tegan Thu 06-Nov-14 18:03:26

I've finally got round to ordering one, mainly so that I can get rid of the juicers I've bought and hardly used. Has anyone else got one [I know someone said they were planning to]? I don't tend to eat my 'five a day' so I'm hoping it will lead to a more healthier lifestyle.

FlicketyB Thu 06-Nov-14 18:51:44

I hadn't heard about the Nutribullet until this post. I looked it up and all it seems to be is a complicated blender. What is so special about it?

I find the easiest and simplest way to get my 5 a day is eat fruit and veg with every meal, usually raw or cooking it quickly. I have a juicer but only use it for juicing surplus fruit from the garden. This year about 40 lbs of grapes and a similar amount of apples.

goldengirl Thu 06-Nov-14 20:47:10

I've got one! It's very easy to use and very easy to clean. I'd use it more but DH keeps getting me sandwiches for lunch!

whenim64 Thu 06-Nov-14 21:06:32

My son and wife received one as a wedding present and they really like it. It's much easier to clean and they use it every day to ensure they get plenty of fruit and veg, especially when working long shifts that mean they're too tired to make good meals from scratch. Very expensive, I hear.

Tegan Thu 06-Nov-14 22:40:13

The thing is I've bought juicers in the past and you get a small cupful of juice, piles of pulp and then spend ages washing it all. The Nutribullet zaps everything so there's no waste at all. I've heard that they can burn out but that's because they're so powerful and people don't turn them off after 30 or so seconds. The recipes are a mixture of fruit and veg which is better for insulin levels than smoothies. I wouldn't usually do this but I did take out the three year warranty just in case it blows up on the first day.

Ana Thu 06-Nov-14 23:02:51

I have one, and I absolutely love it!

It's very easy to clean, unlike most mixers/blenders etc. and you can put almost anything in it to make up the drink or soup of your choice.

I bought it because I knew I would never be able to eat five or more portions of fruit and/or veg a day as I have a very small appetite.

Tegan, don't worry about it burning out, you'll find that it really does only take seconds to blend everything (took me by surprise at first!).

Tegan Sat 08-Nov-14 12:39:06

Arrived today and I'm well chuffed with it. Have just made a drink wth spinach, rocket, watercress, banana and yoghurt and it was lovely. I know I could have used my blender to do the same but it was so much easier to clean. Going to stock up on some of the seeds and nuts etc.

Tegan Mon 10-Nov-14 13:52:35

Just been to the gym/sauna. Came back and had a spinach, grape, banana, apple, walnut, carrot and bio yoghurt smoothie. It was delicious and I feel really wholesome [and no need to add sweetener of any kind]. So, have had my 5 a day and am feeling epic. I know I sound like a born again something or other but I'm so glad I bought one. If I could just master the Tai Chi I've been trying to do I'd be ever more chuffed grin. Must watch the calories, though. When I started drinking smoothies a few years ago I piled on the pounds.

whenim64 Sun 18-Jan-15 16:12:51

Tegan are you still using yours a few weeks on? My son is and is still happy with it - reconmending I should get one, too. What do you think?

Liz46 Sun 18-Jan-15 16:57:13

We have one and it is very efficient and easy to clean. My husband has been on a bit of a health kick and was juicing every day and including spinach. He was also eating a lot of mackerel. He got gout. It turns out that spinach and mackerel are bad for gout! He wasn't drinking much alcohol.

It's probably best to vary the ingredients.

We also use it to grind almonds, sunflower seeds and flax to put on our cereal in the morning.

Juliette Sun 18-Jan-15 18:21:39

Noticed a special offer on the Mail this morning when picking up our paper. Sorry no details but maybe worth having a look on their web page.

Tegan Sun 18-Jan-15 19:03:12

Yes I'm still using it and bought one for both of my children for Christmas. Mine does seem to leak sometimes, and I don't know why it happens. I do cram an awful lot into it though. I now tend to make it quite thick and then add extra water afterwards. Tend to buy green tea a lot and then not drink it cause I hate the taste, so I make some up in the morning and add that to my mixture. I prefer walnuts to almonds but use almond juice sometimes instead of water. There's one for sale called a Cooks Professional multiblender on offer that claims to do the same thing [it's £30] but I wouldn't know if it does. I bought my Nutribullet on offer but realised when it arrived that they hadn't mentioned VAT so it wasn't any cheaper. I haven't put weight on whilst using it. I agree about varying the ingredients. I thought I'd be clever and throw some old acidophulos [sp]capsules in the other day to use them up but the outer shell didn't dissolve and, when I came to drink it it looked as if I'd got a couple of used condoms floating in it shock. Won't do that again.....

Ana Sun 18-Jan-15 19:06:28

Tegan, do you always use a base of greens, as all the suggested recipes seem to? I must admit I don't, but I'm wondering whether I should.

Spring greens or kale just don't seem right blended with fruit!

whenim64 Sun 18-Jan-15 19:12:34

Just checked out the Mail on Sunday offer. Lots of extras thrown in and price is £99.99 so not much different from other offers, but thanks.

Tegan thanks for the update. I think I'll take the plunge and get one.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 18-Jan-15 19:15:35

But is it an enjoyable way to get your nutrition. Isn't a normal healthy diet a better way?

Tegan Sun 18-Jan-15 19:27:17

You do actually get the xtras if you buy it from Rymans etc. That's where I bought the others from and thought I wouldn't get the recipe books and special powder etc, but I did. I use either spinach or the remains of any spinach, rocket and watercress salad that I have. Buy kale sometimes but you get an awful lot in a bag and I don't always use it up [at least with spinach you can make soup with it]. jings; it really is yummy and I look forward to having one at dinnertime [I don't eat breakfast]; I just don't eat a healthy diet I'm afraid and would just make myself a cheese sandwich. You really don't taste the green vegetables at all, it's just like having a fruit smoothie that looks green. I add spirulina and honey and dates and cinnamon. I think that our bodies don't absorb nutrients as well as we get older and this is a good way to make sure we do. I think spinach is a good way of getting calcium as well. Sometimes I thow a bit of broccoli in instead.

rosequartz Sun 18-Jan-15 19:29:49

I thought it was going to be a pill you could take instead of food and it would save all that cooking.

Ana Sun 18-Jan-15 19:31:51

I didn't get any special powder!

Will try the greens with the fruit - I do use quite a lot of walnuts and almonds too, and I like the way you can make the mixture as smooth or as lumpy as you like, although you have to get the timing right as it's so quick!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 18-Jan-15 19:33:47

What about the other end? It sounds like an awful lot of fruit and veg.

Tegan Sun 18-Jan-15 19:48:43

Thats the weird thing; I've had awful tummy problems over the years [IBS type stuff] but it hasn't caused any problems in that department [not in the way that bread does]. My nails don't split the way that they did and my skin looks really good. Even my hair looks healthier; I sometimes wonder if it would have prevented the awful fall out of hair that I had a couple of ears ago. Then again, it could just be that I was really stressed and overtired with work and this has just coincided with me retiring. I'll ask my daughter tomorrow if she feels any better [if she's using it, that is] but, then again she's cut back her hours as well.

whenim64 Fri 23-Jan-15 20:13:39

Second day with my new Nutribullet and I'm impressed. I got lots of tips from my son today and he made me a carrot, strawberry, lettuce, blueberry, banana and almond Nutriblast. Very more-ish. There's lots of ideas on the Facebook Nutribullet page.

Tegan Fri 23-Jan-15 20:54:07

Oh good. Mine leaked again today, though and I still don't know why it sometimes happens.

Ariadne Fri 23-Jan-15 20:57:18

rose grin Attagirl!

whenim64 Fri 23-Jan-15 21:22:03

Tegan my son said his leaked when he packed it too tightly so the liquid had nowhere to go but past the gasket. Now he always uses the bigger cup and puts a little less in and it's stopped leaking. Seems to be a common problem.

Tegan Fri 23-Jan-15 23:13:48

When mine leaks I turn it upside down straight away. I do tend to put a lot of stuff in it.