Gransnet forums

Food

Sprouts! (No, NOT should I put them on yet!)

(39 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 26-Nov-14 19:48:46

Evening all,

First, please may I make it clear that this question relates to the vegetable (hence the plural) rather than the cat of a similar name, although I could right a damn book about that one! grin

Now, every Christmas (apart from roast potatoes) veg wise I always cook:
Roast parsnips
Swede mashed with lots of black pepper
Carrots
Sprouts

Mr P has (eventually) decided he does in fact like swede, and will actually request it, especially when we are having roast beef. Carrots, he tolerates and will have the odd one or two with a roast, although if they are in a hot pot or casserole he seems to eat whatever is on the plate.

Parsnips, he cannot abide (and I have tried various things, well, cooking wise blush including Parsnips Molly Parkin, which most of those who try it like) and when it comes to sprouts, he has a token ONE on his plate (big wuss!)

However, he absolutely loves Boxing Day Bubble & Squeak, which of course contains all of the leftover veg, including the ones he says he hates.

He does know that the hated veg are in there, but says that somehow it's different confused

So, this year, to try to convert him, I was thinking of going back to this method:

Parboil small button sprouts, (day before if you feel like it!)
Warm a large heavy bottomed pan, then add smoked bacon lardons.
Once the fat has melted, add sprouts and toss about a bit.
Open vacuum pack of whole, cooked peeled chestnuts, add and move about a bit until all thoroughly heated and cooked.

So, two questions, namely:
Is this likely to make him realise that sprouts can be yummy, and secondly, would the left over ones still work in the bubble and squeak?

Thank you!

Ana Wed 26-Nov-14 20:08:55

Well, he already knows sprouts can be yummy when fried, so yes to your first question, and

Yes, they'll just be double fried! To your second.

PS I hope MrP likes chestnuts! grin

Soutra Wed 26-Nov-14 20:12:36

Yes and yes!

rosequartz Wed 26-Nov-14 20:15:41

Yes.

Time to put them on soon.

rosequartz Wed 26-Nov-14 20:17:12

He's not being fussy:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-16289391

shysal Wed 26-Nov-14 20:31:44

I love sprouts, but to tempt others I have used the recipe you describe, which was very popular. I am not allowed to attend or cook a Christmas meal without providing Delia's Parmesan Parsnips. Even Mr P. might enjoy them-I usually increase the proportion of cheese.

rosequartz Wed 26-Nov-14 20:42:43

I like parsnips any way, but they are nice roasted with a mixture of olive oil, wholegrain mustard and honey

merlotgran Wed 26-Nov-14 20:53:57

Best bit about Christmas is the Squabble and Beak on Boxing Day.

annsixty Wed 26-Nov-14 20:54:14

You are very late actually . Victoria Wood's mum always put the sprouts on in October.

Charleygirl Wed 26-Nov-14 22:09:56

phoenix I can think of little worse than parsnips and sprouts- add cabbage and I would be asking for a bucket. I can well understand how Mr.P feels.

FlicketyB Wed 26-Nov-14 22:10:33

I put mine on on my birthday, which is mid August.

merlotgran Wed 26-Nov-14 22:14:27

I love Brussels Sprouts and they go so well with Marmite.....in a sandwich.

Bez Wed 26-Nov-14 22:41:50

I now stir fry my sprouts - the worst bit is the slicing/shredding bit - I use either a finely sliced leek or an onion ( or both if the fancy takes me) and lardons or alumettes - finer lardons really- pop them in my wok with the leeks and turn over a bit till they start to colour and add sliced brussels and cook tossing/ stirring all the time. Many people do not realise what they are and of course are fine for bubble and squeak. You can vary the mixture how you like - I was thinking of adding the chestnuts this year too.

Anne58 Wed 26-Nov-14 22:44:19

grin and confused

Some of you are definitely Dagenham, as in almost Barking, but in the best possible way! grin

Ana Wed 26-Nov-14 22:44:21

The one year I added chestnuts everyone hated them, so that's one less thing to worry about! grin

Nelliemoser Wed 26-Nov-14 22:52:00

Phoenix By sprouts may I assume you are not cooking the cat?

whitewave Thu 27-Nov-14 11:56:42

I love all winter veg. I do think however it is difficult to get a good swede - the taste is often much blander than I like.

Nonu Thu 27-Nov-14 12:04:57

I just love sprouts, have them every day in the Winter.-----Yummy!!
smile

Pittcity Thu 27-Nov-14 12:54:59

Try this!!

Anne58 Thu 27-Nov-14 13:02:02

Bleurgh!

Nonu Thu 27-Nov-14 13:18:45

Looks quite disgusting , no thanks !!

Anne58 Thu 27-Nov-14 13:24:17

Prue Leith once said of sprouts that she thought they were God's idea of a gastronomic joke!

kittylester Thu 27-Nov-14 17:54:34

I buy frozen ones, cook them, put them in a serving bowl, put them on the table, wrap in cling film, put them in the fridge, fry them with potatoes, left over carrots, parsnips and onions - lovely. grin

GillT57 Thu 27-Nov-14 19:30:58

My DS loathes sprouts, last year I sent him a lovely package of them ( to his student flat), he thought I had lost my marbles until he realised they were chocolate ones from M & S.

GillT57 Thu 27-Nov-14 19:31:30

we also have red cabbage with Xmas dinner, and it is really nice on Boxing Day.