Gransnet forums

Food

Starter for Christmas Day...Ideas??

(44 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 17-Dec-14 16:11:01

The DGCs always request Prawn Cocktail so I do something different for the adults. In the past we've had deep fried Camembert, melon, smoked salmon pate and various other pates, vodka jellies, soup is too filling.

I'm scratching my head....tchhmm

granjura Wed 17-Dec-14 16:12:01

Just smoked salmon, lemon and very thin toasts and butter. Simpler the better imho.

goldengirl Wed 17-Dec-14 16:20:19

Never have it. I couldn't cope with another course - either to prepare or to eat!

Anne58 Wed 17-Dec-14 16:20:55

There is a Delia starter that is lovely, but it does need prepping in advance and fairly precise cooking, so probably NOT what you want! tchgrin

However Mr P and I have it for Christmas Day late breakfast/brunch, sort of 10.30-11am ish with our main meal served around 6pm

Anne58 Wed 17-Dec-14 16:22:09

Oops!

www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/fish-and-seafood/haddock/smoked-fish-creams.html

TriciaF Wed 17-Dec-14 16:37:00

Another smoked fish idea is smoked mackerel mashed with mashed hard boiled eggs, a little mayonnaise, s&p.
Served on lettuce leaves with cucumber salad on the side ( peeled sliced cucumber in a small amount of sugary vinegar.)

kittylester Wed 17-Dec-14 17:43:59

We rarely get round to pudding so a starter is definitely a step too far.

Anne58 Wed 17-Dec-14 17:49:38

Same here really kitty which is why we have those ^^ for a sort of brunch. I have to say they are delicious, and have become part of "our" Christmas ever since we've been together, first Christmas was 2001. We spend the day on our own (through choice) and catch up with the DS & DIL and DGC either on Boxing Day or the day after.

Mr P doesn't like Christmas pudding or mince pies, so I usually end up buying what we refer to as a "sad persons pudding" which I have on Boxing Day.

Nonu Wed 17-Dec-14 18:14:32

We always have prawns & champagne at about 11 , after Church.

As a starter to the main meal we have either smoked salmon with advocado and LEAVES as a dressing. Usually the chaps have Beef consommé with a dash of sherry.
It is a lovely time of the year, Merry Christmas to all!
tchsmiletchsmile

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 17-Dec-14 18:18:48

Starter?!!! Just tuck into the main course! You need room for the Xmas pud.

suzied Wed 17-Dec-14 18:45:40

We have canapés and champers at about 12 ish as we don't eat lunch until around 3. Don't have a starter then as we had it 3 hours ago.

kittylester Wed 17-Dec-14 18:57:43

My next thought was actually Bellinis!!

J52 Wed 17-Dec-14 19:07:27

We're having smoked salmon, brown bread lemon with champers. It's our traditional start. Whatever your having - enjoy. x

Grannyknot Wed 17-Dec-14 20:24:23

I'm going for this one from Jamie ...

www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/smoked-salmon-with-clementines/

merlotgran Wed 17-Dec-14 20:37:22

I think I might settle for smoked salmon pate because it can be made in advance - falling back on a faithful old standby. DH will be able to serve it with his home-made horseradish cream.

phoenix, I think I'll try your recipe on New Year's day when the second wave of visitors arrive. I'll hopefully have more room in the fridge by then.

anniezzz09 Wed 17-Dec-14 20:38:48

Melon - light and refreshing. You can add Parma ham, or a liqueur like Limoncello, or ground ginger, or Morello cherries or berries like blueberries or blackcurrants. Delicious.

merlotgran Wed 17-Dec-14 20:41:40

Limoncello with melon????

Now you're talking. tchwink

mrshat Wed 17-Dec-14 20:46:40

Same as J52 - nice and easy and you can still have a bit of a break before 'the meal'!! -Enjoy tchsmile

rubysong Thu 18-Dec-14 18:07:17

I made a starter recently with Philadelphia cheese spread mixed with chunky 'hot smoked' salmon and a little lemon juice then rolled up in thin sliced smoked salmon. It was wrapped in cling film and then foil and frozen, then sliced when partially thawed out. I can't remember if there was anything else in the mixture and I can't find the recipe, but it was very nice and would be ideal for Christmas as it can be made well in advance.

TwiceAsNice Fri 19-Dec-14 08:29:42

Crab and prawns cocktail for those of us who like seafood and a pate for those of us who don't

shysal Fri 19-Dec-14 08:46:37

These can be made the day before and finished in the microwave or oven on the day, with or without dips.
mylastbite.wordpress.com/2009/07/16/bacon-wrapped-breadsticks/

Agus Fri 19-Dec-14 09:41:05

Salmon Horns with salad.

It's just smoked salmon wrapped prawn cocktail.

loopylou Fri 19-Dec-14 09:46:26

Wasn't going to do a starter but you've all got my mouth watering! Think I would prefer a starter and pud and miss the bit in the middle!

Grannyknot Fri 19-Dec-14 10:02:57

I'm now leaning towards a recipe I saw in the Morrison's food magazine - Smoked Salmon and Avocado Shots ...

120g smoked salmon
150g cream cheese (light if you prefer)
2 tbsp fresh dill chopped plus extra for garnish
3 ripe avos (small) or 2 larger ones
Juice of 1 lemon

Breadsticks

Serves 8 as a starter

Snip salmon into tiny pieces and place in mixing bowl with half the creme fraiche, and the cream cheese. Season to taste and divide in shot glasses or serving glasses. Blitz remaining creme fraiche with (hopefully you can find) ripe avo and lemon juice and spoon on top of each salmon shot, and top with dill. Chill (the starter, not you!) tchsmile

Serve with breadsticks.

oznan Fri 19-Dec-14 15:16:31

I could not manage a starter myself! For those who do like one,I would suggest mixed melon balls or tiny toasted canapes.