Gransnet forums

Food

I feel sick now!

(61 Posts)
Anne58 Thu 18-Dec-14 15:04:23

Leafing through today's Daily Telegraph, it seemed that every other page was full page advertisements for Christmas food. I am actually feeling quite nauseous!

Last years TV ad for Morrisons had the same effect. (Do you remember it, a HUGE table covered with every type of festive food that you could think of). It got so bad that I had to change channels every time it came on!

I had been toying with the idea of a mince pie with a cup of tea, but I really can't face it now tchsad

loopylou Thu 18-Dec-14 15:16:58

Lidl's tv ad isn't any better...... Was in M&S earlier and couldn't believe the stacks of Christmas food they're trying to shift, put me off even looking for a few extra treats (need an 'I feel sick emoticon', nearly used the envy one!)
Obviously have hit the 'food overload' stage tchsad

rosequartz Thu 18-Dec-14 15:38:52

I am glad I ate my mince pie before I look at the paper.

When I walked round Waitrose today I wondered if they would shift all the sweet cakes, pastries, pies etc.
However, Lidl seemed to have run out of Christmas puddings, cakes and mince pies!

loopylou Thu 18-Dec-14 15:39:32

PS have just read Telegraph and see what you mean....centre spread includes ' mulled wine cheesecake' and 'melting in the middle chocolate Christmas pudding'................ (Definitely need an 'I feel sick' emoticon now)

Anne58 Thu 18-Dec-14 15:44:22

Glad it's not just me! tchgrin

loopylou Thu 18-Dec-14 15:50:44

Definitely not just you phoenix! tchsmile
Perhaps need to add Alkaseltzer to last minute shopping list.....

glammanana Thu 18-Dec-14 15:54:49

Talking about stacking 'em high when I went into Lidl's yesterday they ahd trays and trays of Mini Stolen stacked in the foyer to above shoulder height it really put me off ever eating one again,the same for the mince pies,so you are not alone on this phoenix tchgrin

Charleygirl Thu 18-Dec-14 15:55:15

I went to Waitrose today to do some shopping and being the last of the very big spenders, I came out with 2 tomatoes. I could not face going down the aisles eg laden with enough cream to keep the entire county supplied. They must have so much wastage of all sorts of food.

glammanana Thu 18-Dec-14 15:55:37

^^ back to front words again oopps !!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 18-Dec-14 18:53:21

phoenix* are you sure you are not pregnant?

chloe1984 Thu 18-Dec-14 19:01:36

Thank goodness I am not the only one who reacts this way. The TV advertisements with all the food and chocolates ,puddings and drink make me feel slightly queasy. How on earth would you fit in time to eat them all?

Nelliemoser Thu 18-Dec-14 19:41:00

I wonder how much more unsold food the supermarkets will end up with this year because of their madly competitive marketing practices.

These adds with tables groaning with food really annoy me.

annodomini Thu 18-Dec-14 19:45:07

Gives a whole new meaning to 'fed up', doesn't it!

annodomini Thu 18-Dec-14 19:49:33

OMG - there's Nigella on TV, stuffing not only the turkey but her guests. Yuk and yuk again!

loopylou Thu 18-Dec-14 19:49:34

And on a rather somber note (apologies emoticon.) how much food will be binned from over-buying?
Deliberately not doing usual siege/what if it snows us in etc routine to try and avoid either stuffing myself or binning food. It's so easy to get carried away....and very difficult to break the habits of a lifetime tchblush
DD doing Crisis at Christmas has really brought home to me that for many any food is a luxury......

Crow Thu 18-Dec-14 20:01:11

Charley girl that made me laugh out loud. Thank you. I agree with you phoenix I do wonder just how many folk do have all those people round the table full of that food.
The expression that springs to mind is "in the advertisers dreams". I have adapted that a little!!!

Ana Thu 18-Dec-14 20:15:18

The ads don't affect me like that at all, I don't actually imagine myself eating all that stuff (or even any of it...)! tchconfused

merlotgran Thu 18-Dec-14 20:35:04

It's the same with table decorations. I look at some of the suggestions in magazines and on the telly to get some inspiration for Christmas Day and then think, Where are you supposed to put the food?

janerowena Thu 18-Dec-14 20:36:33

I've often wondered who eats all that stuff. We rarely even manage to eat our xmas pudding until February! More often than not we will end up having sorbet or meringue and the pud will quietly be put in the fridge.

We treat xmas day food like a meal. The starter (smoked salmon and scrambled egg) for breakfast, the main course in the late afternoon, and dessert sometime in the evening, although it's just as likely top be a big bowl of exotic fruits.

grannyactivist Thu 18-Dec-14 20:40:40

The shops only close for a day or two - and Christmas dinner is really just a fancy roast - so I genuinely don't understand the siege mentality. Yet, every year I see trolleys laden as if to feed the five thousand. Maybe it's because people are not used to holding family get togethers and misjudge the amount of food needed?

Ana Thu 18-Dec-14 20:43:04

I'm intrigued by the exotic fruits...not sure our local Tesco does those! tchgrin

janerowena Thu 18-Dec-14 20:48:55

Ah - our local market! Considering it's in the middle of nowhere in east angular, it's amazing! I always used to let the children choose one weird fruit each a week when they were little, now I choose them for the GCs to try when they stay. Safeways used to be my nearest supermarket 30 years ago, and they were amazing for foreign foods and fruits.

Ana Thu 18-Dec-14 20:55:10

Oh, you are lucky! Our local market doesn't seem to sell anything out of the ordinary (probably no call for it...hmm). Perhaps I'll have a look further afield, but not before Christmas now!

rosesarered Thu 18-Dec-14 22:02:29

Settle for a banana Ana ? tchgrin

rosesarered Thu 18-Dec-14 22:04:13

Every week, we buy the usual fruit, apples, pears, oranges and bananas, and then buy one 'guest' fruit as a change, trying to make it something different.