Gransnet forums

Food

Christmas day dessert - your trifle recipe?

(35 Posts)
granjura Sun 21-Dec-14 11:37:20

So, starter will be simple .just good smoked salmon with lemone juice and thin toast and butter.

The second year we lived here, we had sil and bil and one of their daughters and her 2 young daughter over for Xmas. I decided to put the 'Swiss' touch (well.. German perhaps..) and made a Black Forest Trifle.
Chocolate sponge, then cook tinned black cherries with a little sugar and cornflour to thicken and cool- Add plenty of kirsch instead of cherry, and pour over sponge. Then the usual custard (always add a bit more vanilla essence and cream, and whipped cream, with grated black chocolate on top and a few blackcherries to decorate. It was so successful that we have it every year at home, and lots of friends and relatives make it in the uk too.

What is your favourite trifle recipe? Or your traditional Christmas dessert?

loopylou Sun 21-Dec-14 11:48:07

Snap! It's our favourite here too! Am making a giant version for Boxing Day lunch at SIL's. Wasn't going to be giant-sized but bought a new trifle bowl online and it's enormous!
Made one using peaches, amaretti biscuits and Amaretto liquor in the summer, yummy!

rosequartz Sun 21-Dec-14 11:55:38

Old-fashioned sherry trifle with jelly over a raspberry jam swiss roll or trifle sponges split with raspberry jam, raspberries and peaches, custard and cream. Split almonds on the top, which reminds me to put them on the shopping list. They won't let me make any variations!! tchgrin

I have tried leaving out the jelly, using amaretto biscuits soaked in liqueur - no, no, no!!

A friend made a Black Forest trifle when we went for a meal - it was absolutely delicious but DH doesn't like any chocolate puddings or cakes. It would be too indulgent to make one just for me!

Teetime Sun 21-Dec-14 12:08:33

I'm with Rose that's the way I like but I am alone in this so I don't. Although a small M & S one is pretty good. Rose could you send me a little portion in the post please?

Marelli Sun 21-Dec-14 12:19:18

How much sherry do you use for your trifle, rosequartz? I'm making a chocolate one tchshock.

shysal Sun 21-Dec-14 12:23:14

I make the Lorraine Pascale trifle, but use fruit juice instead of booze.
www.mummypages.co.uk/recipes/my-big-fat-tipsy-trifle

rosequartz Sun 21-Dec-14 12:25:54

Quite a lot of sherry, just slosh in the Harvey's Bristol cream (make a separate alcohol free one for the DGDs).
I don't like cream sherry, being a Tio Pepe girl myself, but it's fine in trifle!

I remember when someone got done for drink driving at Christmas in Australia - he claimed that his auntie's sherry trifle had put him over the limit, he hadn't realised how much he was consuming. hmm

I will send you a plastic box full Teetime - if DH leaves any!

I have been given a bottle of cherries in kirsch so I could buy a chocolate swiss roll and make my own fake version of the Black Forest trifle. tchgrin

rosequartz Sun 21-Dec-14 12:26:38

I suppose I put in enough sherry to soak the sponge until it is all absorbed.

Marelli Sun 21-Dec-14 12:38:20

I shall do that - thank you, rosequartz!

rosequartz Sun 21-Dec-14 12:48:24

Neither of us is driving on Christmas Day, Marelli tchgrin

We have the trifle at teatime anyway, and Christmas pudding with brandy sauce blush at lunch-time (or halfway through the afternoon).

Marelli Sun 21-Dec-14 13:25:53

My trifle has to travel cross-country on Christmas morning - hope the fumes don't affect DH.....tchgrin

granjura Sun 21-Dec-14 13:36:12

NO driving on Christmas day- so plenty of kirsch (and sorry, no jelly either ;) never been a fan).

Can't wait for DD1 and little ones to get here tonight- I worry so much when I know them on the long long way here. Will have a bottle of our best champers when they arrive. Made the boeuf bourguignon yesterday. Ok off to make those mincepies now.

merlotgran Sun 21-Dec-14 13:39:18

I'll be making Tiramisu. Everyone's favourite.

annodomini Sun 21-Dec-14 14:01:05

My rum and ginger Caribbean cake/pudding is gloriously alcoholic. Also very popular!

hildajenniJ Sun 21-Dec-14 14:01:48

I was brought up tee-total, so no sherry in trifle for me thanks. A swiss roll, sliced, soaked with raspberry or cranberry juice, raspberry jelly, fresh raspberries, vanilla custard and fresh cream. Yummy.

At lunch time we usually have Christmas pudding with rum sauce, as DH likes it better than brandy sauce. As you will notice, I'm not tee-total now!

Lona Sun 21-Dec-14 14:13:28

I'm always asked to make the trifle and it's the traditional swiss roll, extra jam, black cherries (in kirsch), jelly with lots of sherry, custard with sliced banana then topped with lashings of cream.
There's never any leftovers!

pompa Sun 21-Dec-14 14:31:56

MMMMMM trifle my favorite, preferably with plenty of sherry.

annodomini Sun 21-Dec-14 14:48:13

I always understood that the way to a man's heart was a trifle, preferably with plenty of sherry in it. Not that this bothers me nowadays! tchgrin

granjura Sun 21-Dec-14 15:04:15

As GS is VERY allergice to eggs and nuts- cooking for Christmas is a constant worry. We have to clean all surfaces at least twice, all utensils, cutlery, baking trays, EVERYTHING, twice + dishwasher.

And of course take glasses AND a magnifying glass when we go shopping- it is a nightmare. So many things do not have eggs or nuts in the ingredients' list, and then underneath 'may contain traces' or 'manufactured in factory where eggs and nuts are used'- .... it is soooo frustrating. Fortunately Bird's custard does not contain eggs, as Mr Bird's daughter was allergic to eggs- with a bit of extra vanilla essence and cream- it tastes quite ok,

granjura Sun 21-Dec-14 15:19:56

Don't know how women here win men's hearts then- as trifle is totally unknown in these parts, lol. But as 'my' man is British, a trifle is the way to do it- manage to keep him for nearly 45 years now, lol.

Anya Sun 21-Dec-14 15:35:07

Granjura I was asked to make an English trifle for a french family I was staying with in France, but couldn't get the ingredients. Creme Anglais is NOT the same as custard! And as for jelly tchconfused

The final result was a total disaster tchblush

Anya Sun 21-Dec-14 15:36:02

e

Anya Sun 21-Dec-14 15:36:21

PS that's the missed 'e'

granjura Sun 21-Dec-14 15:41:48

Anya- yes bought crème anglaise is far too runny smile We always bring Bird's custard from UK as it is perfect for grandson. A friend in Staffs taught me to add some whipped cream and a bit more vanilla essence to make it even more yummy. But I'm afraid I never put jelly in our trifle, and never did my British/South AFrican mil- but she made it with cheap tinned fruit...

loopylou Sun 21-Dec-14 15:50:07

Years ago my godmother made a trifle with the left over fruit from a Rumtof (spelling?) and the first mouthful nearly laid everyone out! Virtually pure brandy tchgrin!