Gransnet forums

Food

Sell Buy dates

(42 Posts)
granjo39 Sun 25-Jan-15 00:08:16

I have always been a believer in using sight and smell to judge whether food was suitable to eat. Today however even my judgement was tested when rummaging through my overflow fridge in the garage I discovered a pack of smoked mackerel dated 29th May 2014.I was about to chuck it in the bin but on reflection decided to have a little nibble,it seemed OK so popped it under the grill and had it with some brown bread & butter for lunch-it was delicious followed it with a yoghurt dated 10th December 2014. My DD would be horrified! So far no ill effects but friends will be phoning in the morning to check on my health.hmm

absent Sun 25-Jan-15 00:13:12

Sell by dates are mainly for retailers. Use by dates are a food safety guide for purchasers. Best before dates are a quality guide for purchasers, i.e. the food may still be safe to eat but its texture or flavour or both may be deteriorating.

Coolgran65 Sun 25-Jan-15 01:15:25

If it's not mouldy and smells ok, I'd give it a go.
I'm impressed that ou tackled a May 2014 date !!

absent Sun 25-Jan-15 06:12:51

Vacuum packed?

Wheniwasyourage Sun 25-Jan-15 07:26:56

We're working through some tins of tomato soup which got to the back of the cupboard and have January 2014 on them. Can't quite see why canned goods have such BBE dates on them, as it's such an efficient way of preserving food. The soup is perfectly fine, but my sister would have a fit!

Soutra Sun 25-Jan-15 08:22:28

Tins, fine, but fish over 8 months old? I'd say you were asking for trouble. I agree about common sense though, but , but, butshock

Anya Sun 25-Jan-15 08:32:41

But surely the date of May 2014 was for the unfrozen product, bought vacuum packed from the chill section and then frozen 'on day of purchase' as per instructions?

vampirequeen Sun 25-Jan-15 08:55:34

I use my senses before I throw food away.

pompa Sun 25-Jan-15 08:56:07

IMO best before dates are only guidelines and common sense should prevail. Many of the foods we buy have been preserved and possibly be months for years old any way (cheese, smoked/cure fish and meats etc.) So a few more months will not matter much provided they are kept under good conditions. Frozen food can be kept for very long periods, although flavour may suffer. I keep trout in my freezer for up to a year before smoking it.
Use before dates need to be considered carefully but still leave some leeway.
Yoghurt is a prime example, as it ages it will become thicker and more acid but still quite edible, anyone who makes their own yoghurt will know this.
Fresh beef should already be at least 3 weeks old, and can be purchased up to 12 weeks old from some butchers (at a price), so again a few days over the date will not hurt.

Greyduster Sun 25-Jan-15 09:26:22

I don't make too much fuss about use by dates. Like granjo I have eaten smoked mackerel that has been a couple of months out of date, without ill effect, though I think I might have baulked at eight months! I have kept trout in my freezer for up to year, Pompa - and then thrown them away! I have so gone off the taste of fresh trout that I have stopped tapping them now. Maybe I should invest in a smoker.

rosequartz Sun 25-Jan-15 09:35:11

anya I think granjo said fridge although she may have meant it was in the freezer section.

I have some smoked salmon and paté in the freezer from the Christmas before last. I keep eying it up but will probably throw it when I tidy the freezer!

Anya Sun 25-Jan-15 09:39:03

You're right she did say fridge. It was the garage bit that threw me.

soontobe Sun 25-Jan-15 09:47:45

I think it depends a bit on the person too.
My dad never got anything from any food way past its dates. Ever.

When I married my husband, I used the same methods. Oh dear. It took me more than a year when we were first married, to realise he could barely go a day over the recommended times on most things before he would have a problem.
Sorry husband!

Teetime Sun 25-Jan-15 09:54:35

Juts a caution about live yogurts. On two occasions lately my DH has eaten an Activia yogurt that was one day out of date and ended up with severe stomach cramps and he has the constitution of an ox. I throw them out now so he can't 'save them being wasted'.

rosequartz Sun 25-Jan-15 10:01:11

DH will eat most things that are a bit out of date but when I showed him the pate and smoked salmon in the freezer he said hmm

(also some frozen packets of ham and corned beef ....)

hildajenniJ Sun 25-Jan-15 10:20:28

I never freeze cured meat or fish. If it smells okay and isn't slimy I eat it. I never throw anything away which I consider edible. DH on the other hand goes by the dates, he sees the sell by or use before date and sticks rigidly to what it says on the pack. I don't understand why though. He used to have his own grocery store, before the advent of the big supermarkets. He boiled his own hams, had a rotisserie in the window, cooking chickens all day long, the bacon he sold was yummy. He didn't have sell by dates then. He didn't waste very much either. It makes him want to weep at the amount of perfectly good fruit and veg the Co-op throw away at the end of each day. ( But that is the subject for another discussion).

vampirequeen Sun 25-Jan-15 10:27:38

When my mum started work in a local grocery shop at 15 in 1948 her first job each day was to check the cheese and pare off any bits of mold. The rest of the cheese was still sold. The owner would check the bacon which hung in the cold room and trim off any bits that were maggoty. Again the rest was sliced and sold.

You couldn't just waste food in those days. He taught mum what the customer doesn't know won't hurt them as long as the food hasn't gone off.

Nelliemoser Sun 25-Jan-15 10:46:59

I suspect the flavour and texture of canned or frozen food is more likely to go off before the product is harmful.

rosequartz Sun 25-Jan-15 10:55:13

DM used to say 'What the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't grieve over' wink as she picked up a bit of food she had dropped on the floor and put it back in the serving dish!
ie 'don't tell your brothers or they will never touch it'

pompa Sun 25-Jan-15 11:14:55

GreyDuster. We do not like the taste of fresh trout. I hot smoke all those I catch, and salmon when it is on offer at Tesco.

I fillet/pin bone them, then freeze until I have a dozen or so for smoking.

Don't buy a special smoker, they are expensive and not necessary. Any kettle type BBQ will do the job fine. I can smoke about 6 fish at a time in mine. I then re-freeze them.

If you want more info on how I brine/smoke them, get in touch.

granjo39 Sun 25-Jan-15 11:24:01

Well I'm still here folks-no ill effects.grin
Yes it was vacuum packed but just kept in the chilled compartment of fridge-not frozen,It seemed in perfect condition.After all smoking was one of the main methods of preserving food years ago.
It makes you wonder just how much food goes to waste because of these best before dates.

mollie65 Sun 25-Jan-15 11:35:35

have to say I ignore any date on vegetables - who cannot tell whether the veg/fruit are fit to eat or not
I am a bit more wary about fish (smell test) but as I don't eat other meat I don't have a view on whether it is fit to eat or not.
my ultimate bugbear is the fact the 'pet food' has BBE dates - as if animals (dogs) are not inclined to eat anything that is still edible (or not) shock

harrigran Sun 25-Jan-15 11:58:39

granjo, some bacteria can take a few days to give you symptoms just because you didn't feel ill straight away doesn't mean it was safe. I think eight months is a little worrying for fish.

Anya Sun 25-Jan-15 12:11:16

pompa I'd love a bit more information of home smoking.

Woody Sun 25-Jan-15 12:26:25

I was in a well known "up market" supermarket just before Xmas and a chap was emptying a shelf of about 10 fresh ducks I asked if he was going to reduce them he said no madam these were out of date yesterday and slipped through the net for reducing and will be binned. Seemed such a waste I would have willingly signed a disclaimer and had one but knew there was no point in asking.