Gransnet forums

Food

How can I dispose of a pan of dahl?

(63 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Fri 30-Jan-15 17:09:00

There is no way I am going to eat it. And I'm not feeding it to anyone else either. It is truly horrible.

And I didn't know you had to wash lentils. And I remember now why I don't buy lentils.

I suppose it will have to be a leak proof poly bag.

It took me ages round Waitrose to find all those ingredients. sad

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 30-Jan-15 17:10:39

Not to mention all the time I've just spent in the kitchen. Peeling garlic. Grating ginger! Chopping onion.

ffinnochio Fri 30-Jan-15 17:20:31

Express deliver to me, Jings. Anything to save me from having to cook... as I love the stuff.

Rosiebee Fri 30-Jan-15 17:22:43

Try Barts Lazy Ginger and Lazy Garlic. Instant pastes. I always use them if they're going in soups, stews. No mess or having to clean the grater / crusher afterwards.smile

Eloethan Fri 30-Jan-15 17:28:42

What a shame jingle after putting all that effort in - very disappointing.

Did you use red lentils? We have them quite often and I enjoy them - what was wrong with them?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 30-Jan-15 17:31:32

Oh don't! I've still got the washing up to do. hmm

What - you can buy the stuff ready-made*finn*?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 30-Jan-15 17:32:14

that should have been ffin

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 30-Jan-15 17:33:45

Yes. Red lentils.

It just tastes a bit - veggie. And bland. Not like a nice shop-bought curry.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 30-Jan-15 17:34:58

Oh! Sorry ffin. I thought you meant "Express" was a delivery service.

Never mind. hmm

crun Fri 30-Jan-15 17:38:42

Oh don't say that, I've just bought some lentils to make a dhal myself. grin I love curry though, so perhaps it will turn out ok. Previous attempts at making recipes from scratch never live up to the taste of a ready made sauce though, so we'll see. I'm doing a chicken balti tonight though, so it'll have to wait until there are some spare tubs for freezing it in.

I made a soup with this for lunch a couple of days ago, with some mixed herbs and tomato for flavour. It was OK, if a bit bland, but the problem is that by the time I had bloated myself with two large bowls of it I had still only eaten a third of the calories that are in the sandwiches I normally eat. By the following day I was starting to feel faint from the lack of calories.

Ana Fri 30-Jan-15 17:38:52

Bury it at the bottom of the garden...?

granjura Fri 30-Jan-15 17:41:23

Well here, it would be fed to the foxes and birds who'd eat anything in all this snow! They'd be really grateful. I've been cooking bulgur mixed with turkey fat I'd saved from Christmas- and the 100s of birds polished the lot.

Riverwalk Fri 30-Jan-15 17:43:35

Jings do not chuck it out!

Put in fridge overnight then tomorrow get on yer bike to Waitrose and buy a bottle of Tamarind essence/sauce - big dollop will render your dhal delicious and edible!

That recipe is the sort of thing that gets British vegetarian food a bad name. grin

hildajenniJ Fri 30-Jan-15 17:50:30

Or... You could send it round to my DD and her family. They eat dal all the time, and love it,even the 2yr old. ( child that is, not the dal).grin

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 30-Jan-15 17:58:15

I'm going to try the sauce. I expect DH will eat it. He eats anything I put in front of him. smile

MrsPickle Fri 30-Jan-15 18:20:08

I'll eat it!
Have you any curry paste? Bung some of that in it, fry onion in butter, if no ghee, season and yum.

ffinnochio Fri 30-Jan-15 18:27:05

Good idea River - or you could check out "Taste #5 Umami Paste" Jing. Transforms almost anything that needs just that something extra.........even you! wink

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 30-Jan-15 18:35:35

shock!!! Cheeky! grin

FlicketyB Fri 30-Jan-15 18:44:49

Love dhall and have made it at home without problem. Where did your recipe come from jinglbellsfrocks? There are a lot of recipes and some are nicer than others.

Getting rid of it? We have food waste collections in our neck of the woods, but as granjura says you could feed it to the birds, or put it on the compost heap. An occasional dollop of cooked vegetarian food will not attract rats to it. Depending on how solid it is, you could just wash it down the sink.

loopylou Fri 30-Jan-15 19:00:49

Flush it down the loo?
What recipe did you use- so I can avoid it when making it for DD? grin

Treebee Fri 30-Jan-15 19:09:39

Stir in some Marmite. Yum!

Faye Fri 30-Jan-15 20:16:46

Don't chuck it out jingle it sounds like you need to add add more spices. I have some great Dahl recipes, I add the spices listed in the ingredients but never measure them, I am always adding more anyway. I keep adding until it taste right. Sounds like you need more of everything. I also find if I grind my own spices they taste even better.

Crafting Fri 30-Jan-15 21:14:52

Send it to me jimgs I produce tasteless meals evey night, no one will know the difference grin

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 30-Jan-15 22:25:21

It's gone. Double bagged in the bottom of the wheely-bin. There was no redeeming it. It was a mush.

I will put the whole unhappy affair in a balloon and let it float away.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 30-Jan-15 22:26:51

Crafting grin