Gransnet forums

Food

Keep your pies on the prize

(12 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 02-Mar-15 17:52:10

This week is British Pie Week, and to celebrate we'd like to know your favourite pie recipe - sweet or savoury. Add your recipe to our store cupboard and at the end of the week (once we've had our fill of pie) we'll choose the best recipe - the poster of which will receive a mystery box of lovely books.

Right, I'm off to find some pie...

Mishap Mon 02-Mar-15 18:09:16

Here is a nice easy one - make a pie base; add creme fraiche, tuna and a bit of seasoning if you want (I sometimes add mustard) and top with cheese - stick in the oven - it is incredibly yummy, very easy and tastes good cold as well as hot.

Teetime Tue 03-Mar-15 09:26:39

The British Pie awards are held her in Melton Mowbray. In The Telegraph on Saturday Matthew O'Callaghan local councillor and Chair of the Pie Awards said in an article that they only allow entry to 'fully encased in pastry pies' as nothing else is a true pie - so no potato topped pies or deep dish pies can be entered. He regards the latter as 'a pastry topped casserole' and open faced pies as 'flans'. What would be your view given the nature of this Gransnet competition?

Ariadne Tue 03-Mar-15 09:36:02

Roast vegetable pie:

No quantities, because I use what I have, and you can't put in enough cheese!
Roast a good selection of vegetables; I use butternut squash, courgettes, garlic, a few potatoes, lots of red onion.

Cool and blend lightly - leave a few lumps.
Mix in a lot of grated mature cheddar, and a spoonful of Parmesan
Stir in two eggs and one egg yolk
Put mixture into a shortcrust pastry case, and top with a pastry lid
Slits in the lid, of course!
Bake at about 200 for about 40 minutes. Test with a skewer - the filling should be relatively firm.

Grannyknot Tue 03-Mar-15 09:37:35

Will recipes posted on the thread count? Or are the Ts and Cs that they have to be posted on the "store cupboard" link in the OP?

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 03-Mar-15 10:41:16

Good spot Grannyknot, yes it's the recipes that have been added to the recipe section that'll be counted!

Grannyknot Tue 03-Mar-15 10:59:02

ariadne - do a copy and paste job! That pie sounds delicious.

merlotgran Tue 03-Mar-15 13:57:50

What category do we choose, Lucy?

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 03-Mar-15 14:48:29

Hmm, there's no perfect category really, is there... I'd say sweet pies in the desserts section, meaty ones in the meat section and vegetarian ones in the veggie section.

merlotgran Tue 03-Mar-15 19:20:49

I've put mine in Chicken and Poultry.

Ariadne Thu 05-Mar-15 09:10:00

Oh, thanks, GK!

Ariadne Thu 05-Mar-15 09:19:53

Done!