Gransnet forums

Food

Easy dessert for older people

(50 Posts)
granjura Fri 06-Mar-15 12:42:29

Sorry, don't want to be ageist, but ... It is my turn to prepare the dessert for our OAP monthly luncheon- and as many are very elderly and have problems with teeth, etc- what would you recommend?

I have sufficient nice glasses to make 'verrines'. Have to make 50- have access to a fridge and can make beforehand (as we host it here- in Ye Olde Parish room at the back). Would be so grateful for your ideas, merci.

loopylou Fri 06-Mar-15 13:05:42

Panne cotta comes to mind, with roasted or stewed rhubarb/plums? Egg custard is lovely but mine's hit and miss.
Or perhaps baked chocolate puds, the ones with a runny middle are quick and easy, and there's a lemon version too,.

J52 Fri 06-Mar-15 13:16:00

A good old fashioned trifle with lots of cake, jelly and custard! x

vegasmags Fri 06-Mar-15 13:19:32

I had a lovely verrine at a friends - a bottom layer of crushed speculoos biscuit, moistened with liquer, topped by a simple raspberry mousse and decorated with 2 or 3 raspberries. it was delicious and looked very pretty. I am sure it would be fine made with frozen raspberries.

Galen Fri 06-Mar-15 13:25:29

Don't know how you spell it, but that scrumptious Scottish thing that has toasted oats, whisky, double cream and raspberries in it.
( not at all fattening if viewed correctly.:- from a long way away!)

Soutra Fri 06-Mar-15 13:36:13

Eton mess?

kittylester Fri 06-Mar-15 13:38:31

The one marmight put on somewhere! We do it without the fruit and call it Dairy Mallow! I got it out of a Dairy Diary yonks ago but with added fruit it sounds fabulous!

J52 Fri 06-Mar-15 13:40:02

Galen: its called Cranachan _ yum! Especially laced with whiskey! x

Galen Fri 06-Mar-15 13:52:26

That's it! I kept thinking of crannoch which is a man made Island. Not suitable for OAPs

annodomini Fri 06-Mar-15 14:14:40

That's a crannog, Galen. Not just a man-made island but a building thereon. I strongly recommend the Crannog Centre on Loch Tay where you can learn about the Crannog builders and see Iron Age skills demonstrated. Sorry, but I don't know what they had for pudding!

hildajenniJ Fri 06-Mar-15 14:17:02

How about American Jelly? You can serve it with soft fruit or just eat it by itself.
Here's the recipe:
1pint milk
3 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
Half teaspoon vanilla essence
Half ounce gelatine. (I use one sachet of dried gelatine).
Method:
Put the gelatine and cold milk in a saucepan. Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Add half the sugar to the yolks and beat together, then add it to the milk and gelatine in the saucepan and bring to a boil. Beat the egg whites with the remaining sugar to a stiff froth. Pour the hot milk mixture gently over the whites, add the vanilla essence and mix gently but well. Pour into a mould (a basin does in my house) and put in the fridge to set.
If you make it in the morning it will be ready for teatime otherwise make it the evening before.
To serve: Loosen the top edge of the pudding and turn it out onto a serving dish. The pudding will have separated - a creamy jelly will be on top and a mousse layer will be on the bottom.
We love it in our house!

loopylou Fri 06-Mar-15 14:27:59

That sounds good hildajenni, will try it smile

Grannyknot Fri 06-Mar-15 14:51:00

Recipe for Cranachan:

400 gr fresh raspberries (or any soft berries or combination of)
100 gr castor sugar
100 gr toasted oatmeal
250 ml double cream
4 tablespoons whisky

Put the cream half of the whisky and half the sugar in a basin and whip until forms soft peaks. Add remaining whisky and sugar and whip until thick. Gently fold in the oatmeal and berries. Put in individual shot glasses or ramekins and chill for at least an hour in the fridge.

granjura Fri 06-Mar-15 15:10:14

Lots of great ideas ladies- keep them coming though. A bit concerned about the oats in the cranachan (yikes. you know with the dental plates and all that! sorry). Milk jelly sounds good- but I wonder if it would work made in individual glasses- as it would be too messy to serve- would I end up with great variation in proportion of jelly as I poured into individual glasses before setting?

We do live in meringue and cream country- so Eton mess could be ideal.
Trifle is a great idea- and could make in individual glasses the day before, and just decorate with whipped cream just before lunch. No jelly here though- but that's ok.

Anya Fri 06-Mar-15 15:17:12

If you've loads of cream available why not make some kind of fruit fool? Easy to make and you can use almost any fruit in season. Rhubarb is good about now.

hildajenniJ Fri 06-Mar-15 15:52:05

granjura if you put American jelly in individual glasses it would be fine, you'd just end up with the jelly on the bottom and the mousse on the top. I hardly ever turn it out so that is how it is usually served here.

granjura Fri 06-Mar-15 15:58:17

There won't be any fruit in season up here in t'mountains in mid April- we still have a lot of snow- and our rhubarb comes up in June. A different world here ;)

Just made some Easy Crême brûlée as a trial- raspberry jam at the bottom of glass, then a mix of whipped cream and Greek yogurt with a bit of sugar and vanilla essence (the good stuff) and a layer of soft brown sugar on top- and will see how that goes. I will have a go at the milk jelly next week and see how that works out. Could put a thin layer of fruit purée at the bottom too. Thanks all- you are great.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 06-Mar-15 16:08:18

Poor things. Are they practically dead already?

J52 had the best idea.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 06-Mar-15 16:09:45

Have you never eaten in a pub and seen what the old folk tuck into? With relish.

granjura Fri 06-Mar-15 16:42:37

A bit below the belt Jingle- no? The group is mixed- some very fit, and some, well yes... not quite as you say- but not in the best of shape. Some are in wheelchairs, some have Alzheimers, some have had strokes and have to be fed. As we have been hosting them for the past 5 years- I think I know why I am very aware that not all puds would be suitable- and don't want to make separate and different puds for different people. Many of them never ever go out apart from coming here, and would never ever go into a pub. Struuuf.

rosequartz Fri 06-Mar-15 16:55:57

I was going to suggest Eton Mess, but perhaps you would have to be careful about strawberry or raspberry pips getting under their 'plates' (MIL constantly complained about that). Pips from jam could be a problem too.

Trifle goes a long way and is probably better the day after it is made.

A nice bread and butter pudding with pannetone or brioche and lots of egg custard underneath? Without the currants or raisins! (Comfort food.)

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 06-Mar-15 16:57:45

But milk jelly and fruit purée is practically baby food.

Give them a nice trifle. grin

loopylou Fri 06-Mar-15 17:04:03

You'll probably have some of those with strokes who have swallowing difficulties Granjura so the textures of the puds is critical - Creme Brûlée or milk jellies are flavourful and ideal for them and everyone else. And they won't feel singled out with something different which is important.
I wish you well, sounds like a great meal will be enjoyed by everyone.

granjura Fri 06-Mar-15 17:13:49

The cook yesterday cooked very tender small pieces of veal with mushrooms and a little cream, with mashed potatoes and a finely cut side-salad with vegetables soop first. The volunteer made a sort of custard made with tangerines, and small bits of tangerines in, which was deliciousl.

As said, people are aged from 65 to about 95- and some are incredibly fit and others do have all sorts of problems- so the menu always has to be thought about very carefully.

Yesterday was bingo afterwards, with lots of prizes- and next time there will be a film shown, made in the 60s- about a rural school in the area where the one teacher taught all grades in the same classroom. Some of the elderly people are featured in the film- they will love it- and so will I.

granjura Fri 06-Mar-15 17:16:15

Raspberries and strawberries are a no no ! Won't give detail as to why, but my mil showed us clearly why (when suffering from Alzeheimers- not for the faint hearted).