Gransnet forums

Food

Food for Hospital

(10 Posts)
sherish Wed 01-Apr-15 14:24:16

I am attending long appointments each week for chemotherapy and we take a packed lunch This usually includes sandwiches. I quite fancy taking something like a pasta or rice salad. My husband doesn't like spicy food or peppers. I would love some suggestions from others of tried and tested salads.

Teetime Wed 01-Apr-15 15:23:44

Sherish I hope your appointment goes well and hopefully will soon be completed. meantime its a good idea to take something different to eat hospital canteens are usually awful aren't they. How about roasted vegetables with cous cous- just spray some mixed veg - peppers and tomatoes work well with a little olive oil, roast and leave to cool, cous cous just needs hot water added, then add the chopped veg. Perhaps Tunisian- style salad which is just tomatoes and cucumber diced with tuna and hard boiled egg- you could add other things according to taste.

Coolgran65 Wed 01-Apr-15 16:09:59

Cold cooked pasta, chopped tomatoes,celery, scallions, corn, ham, left over bacon, tuna, peppers.... whatever you fancy.
Toss in Philadelphia cheese, or just a dash of sweet chilli sauce.

sherish Thu 02-Apr-15 05:07:26

Thank you for your suggestions I'll try them next week Although the hospital I go to has excellent food and they even come round with sandwiches during treatment. Sandwiches do get boring. Going shopping today so I can have a look for some good healthy veg to go into the salads.

absent Thu 02-Apr-15 07:01:45

Greek salad? Cucumber, tomatoes, black olives and feta cheese with a good olive oil dressing. Pasta salad? Cooked pasta (conchiglie, spirali, something else curly) cooked frozen mixed veg, some canned sweetcorn, chopped ham or cooked or smoked chicken (if you like that) and a tablespoon or so of mayonnaise.

Jane10 Thu 02-Apr-15 10:40:24

Don't forget a fork or something to eat it with. If all they usually provide is sandwiches they might not have cutlery easily available! Also nice refreshing drinks can be a change from stewed NHS tea. Elderflower Presse is nice but you might be better with something non fizzy. Good luck. Once my MIL wasn't finished her treatment but the day unit was closing. She was transferred to a ward. A kind nurse took one look at her and said "You must be starving". Next thing she appeared with a plate of toast to keep Gran going until she was presented with a big bowl of stovies which she hadn't had for years. She loved it. This wasn't long ago. Just plain kindness and consideration by an observant nurse. It happens.

sherish Thu 02-Apr-15 10:47:30

Yes, we'll go prepared with cutlery etc. The first time I went I was amazed how organised other patients are. We are just getting bored with sandwiches even our own. I've just been out and bought the ingredients for a pasta salad and also some fruit. It's just such a long job that food is the best thing to happen during it all!

Jane10 Thu 02-Apr-15 10:54:22

Good luck sherish! Hope all goes smoothly and the yummy grub helps to allay the monotony of the long days.

annsixty Thu 02-Apr-15 11:09:25

Tuna with the Greek salad suggested by Absent and some red kidney beans is nice.

sherish Fri 03-Apr-15 05:10:35

I will be having appointments for a while so I will experiment with your suggestions. Thank you ladies.