Gransnet forums

Food

Sunday Breakfast

(37 Posts)
Teetime Sun 26-Apr-15 10:09:30

I recently had a conversation with a friend where I mentioned that we like to have a good long Sunday cooked breakfast with the papers. She replied that she told her DH when she retired she would definitely not be cooking breakfast any day of the week. When we were at work we both shot out of the house at the crack of dawn having gobbled a bit of cereal if we were lucky or in my case ate toast in the car. Do you make time for a cooked breakfast? I often do some poached haddock with eggs - not quite so keen on the whole Full English stuff but we might have scrambled eggs on toast. Today it was poached eggs on soda bread toast. What did you have?

AshTree Sun 26-Apr-15 10:14:56

I've eaten a bowl of cereal virtually every day all my life - until about 3 months ago when I realised I was just not enjoying and often leaving half of it. So I stopped eating breakfast. I know everyone says it's the most important meal of the day, you should never skip breakfast etc, but I simply can't stomach it any more confused. As I write, I've been up for about 2.5 hours and I've just had another cup of tea with a couple of biscuits - I guess you could call that my breakfast!

henetha Sun 26-Apr-15 10:17:26

Only rarely do I have a cooked breakfast, but I have a friend staying with me at the moment. He is German and so an English breakfast is a novelty to him. This morning he had sausages, bacon, eggs and baked beans. I just had one rasher of bacon and one fried egg.
When alone, I sometimes have a poached egg or scrambled eggs on toast. But normally it's just toast, and maybe cereals with fruit and yoghourt in a vain attempt to be healthy.

rosequartz Sun 26-Apr-15 10:22:43

Usually yogurt and fruit or a poached egg on toast but this morning I had Scotch pancakes with butter and home-made bramble jelly (Sunday treat).
DH always has porridge.

AshTree Sun 26-Apr-15 10:22:51

Having said that, once a month I meet up for breakfast on a Saturday with a group of photography friends. So yesterday I did have a full English at a local pub and thoroughly enjoyed it! But it was about 3 hours after I got up, so I could cope with it grin

rosesarered Sun 26-Apr-15 10:26:03

Yes, usually a cooked breakfast(full English) most Sunday mornings, the only day that we do this, papers,The Andrew Marr Show etc a nice relaxed start to the day.not today though as we were out for a late supper, and just wanted toast and tea.

Gezzy9 Sun 26-Apr-15 10:31:21

Morning Peeps Tasty breakfast with wonderful company .

pompa Sun 26-Apr-15 10:33:57

Welcome Gezzy, don't forget to read the rules !!! grin

Gezzy9 Sun 26-Apr-15 10:38:34

I wont Pompa!!! X

tanith Sun 26-Apr-15 10:47:42

I eat cereal or porridge most day , OH never eats breakfast on a work day but one day at the weekend he likes a full English I sometimes join him and have bacon egg and toast.

rosesarered Sun 26-Apr-15 10:54:40

What do our G'net friends in Scotland call a full English? a full Scottish I presume?Do the Welsh have a full Welsh, and our N I G'netters have a full Irish?Should this now become a full British breakfast?

annodomini Sun 26-Apr-15 11:09:30

I don't think they'd be quite the same, roses. Scottish breakfast would likely have sliced sausage which is - as far as I know - unique to Scotland. I'm sure that Wales and Ireland have their own specialities.

glammanana Sun 26-Apr-15 11:38:01

Which part of UK do you find white sausage,whilst they look very unattractive on a plate they are very nice indeed.

Charleygirl Sun 26-Apr-15 11:46:13

glammanana- do you mean white pudding which one buys in Scotland- it is yummy and is normally bought in a fish and chip shop.

My breakfast is the same every day- 2 slices of toast with marmalade, occasionally honey if I fancy a change. Breakfast, like today is often eaten 2 hours + after getting up.

annodomini Sun 26-Apr-15 11:51:42

Mealie Pudding - same family as haggis!

Teetime Sun 26-Apr-15 11:55:10

Aren't mealies worms?

feetlebaum Sun 26-Apr-15 12:01:52

No Teetime - corn/maize.

feetlebaum Sun 26-Apr-15 12:05:04

I know there's black pudding and there's white pudding - boudin blanc and boudin noir - but I don't seem to have encountered the white one.

etheltbags1 Sun 26-Apr-15 12:07:23

I had boiled eggs and toast, with a bar of chocolate to follow and lots of coffee and a bag of nuts. Soooo unhealthy but its sunday so what. would have had a cream cake if there had been one in the house.

loopylou Sun 26-Apr-15 12:27:41

God for you ethelbags!
I rarely eat breakfast but could demolish a full English, cooked by someone else, by about 11.00.

sunseeker Sun 26-Apr-15 12:38:06

Porridge or cereal though the week but on Sunday its bacon, egg, hash browns and toast!

loopylou Sun 26-Apr-15 12:42:52

<sigh>
'Good' not God.....

Starting to feel rather hungry reading this thread!

annodomini Sun 26-Apr-15 13:24:15

Teetime and feetle, mealie pudding in Scotland is made with oatmeal of course. In African countries 'mealies' are usually maize.

hildajenniJ Sun 26-Apr-15 14:24:46

Just toast and tea for me. DH had a fried egg sandwich (yuck). I have never fancied those! We don't do the full English any more because DH was told to cut down on meat and salt to help lower his high blood pressure.

ninathenana Sun 26-Apr-15 15:47:13

We had white pudding with our full English whilst staying in Devon recently. It tasted much like ordinary sausage to me.

DH and I have cereal all week and he has toast too. Weekends he cooks a full English for us both. Although sometimes mine is just two fried eggs on two slices of toast. I love Sunday mornings smile