Gransnet forums

Food

Which wine do you choose?

(50 Posts)
Teetime Sat 23-May-15 10:24:11

Looking through the threads I couldn't see if we had ever had a discussion about wine. Perhaps we could share recommendations and tips re buying wine. Today Sainsbury's have their 25% off for 6 bottles which happens a few times a year and its a good chance to replenish stocks. Anyone interested in sharing information?

PS I know not everyone likes wine or approves of drinking alcohol so my apologies to them I hope they don't find this thread offensive.

loopylou Sat 23-May-15 10:31:40

I'm the least wine-educated person on here I suspect, so would welcome others' views blush

I do like Primitivo and dry white wine occasionally.
I find red wines difficult to chose, I go by the name and label rather than type

Anne58 Sat 23-May-15 10:32:37

Waitrose own label white Italian is very drinkable £4.99.

Morrisons do a Soave and a Pinot Grigio for £3.99 which seems a bargain to me!

sunseeker Sat 23-May-15 10:35:10

Jacobs Creek Sparkling Rose is very refreshing! I usually drink red (Blossom Hill) which is also very drinkable and not too expensive.

Charleygirl Sat 23-May-15 10:37:03

My nearest is Waitrose. I only drink 1-2 bottles every couple of months or so and always with food so I rarely have a collection here. One bottle lasts me 3 evenings. Waitrose often has some great offers so I may see an expensive wine being reduced by 1/3 and I would possibly buy that. I do not buy the cheapest I see on a shelf unless it is mainly for cooking.

merlotgran Sat 23-May-15 10:40:00

Aldi's Toro Loco Tempranillo is very nice and is only £3.79

loopylou Sat 23-May-15 10:43:19

We accumulate wine.......... I don't suppose I drink three bottles in a year!

rosequartz Sat 23-May-15 10:48:56

We like Australian wines, especially Yaldara or Yellowtail - when they are on offer!
New Zealand whites - some are the same area as Malborough but cheaper
Casillero del Diablo is good.
Aldi are doing some very good wines as are Lidl - some of the 'more expensive' ones are excellent (but not that expensive)

It depends what you like of course!

kittylester Sat 23-May-15 10:50:01

Because I am unsophisticated blush, I like a fairly sweet white and Sainsbury's do one called Orvieto [sp] which I like. I've only met one other person who likes sweetish white. I was in Sainsbury's yesterday and bought a sherry (DH like a really dry one over ice confused), a cooking white, a cooking red and three of mine. How silly not to properly stock up!

Thanks for the reminder Teetime. wine

DH like the Aldi Rioja (it comes with the gold 'string' round it so it looks really expensive!

Shall we all go and stock on Prosecco while it's still there? I love Prosecco Bellinis.

Soutra Sat 23-May-15 10:55:10

Stock up? Panic drink buy more like!

J52 Sat 23-May-15 11:04:44

Dry, with a sparkle! Other than that Chablis. X

whenim64 Sat 23-May-15 11:42:17

Brown Brothers Muscat is a favourite and Tesco do an offer every now and then of 2 for £10.

Like Merlot I rate the Aldi Toro Loco Tempranillo. They also do a rosé version for £3.79 and that's equally nice.

I like Prosecco and Pinot Noir Chardonnay sparkling wines, many of which are as good as champagnes three times the price.

GrannyTwice Sat 23-May-15 11:44:29

We are very serious wine drinkers and drink far too much Our tastes have changed over the years and have settled now for a while on New Zealand and Spanish Whites and French reds- Bordeaux, Rhone and Bandol. Our holidays often include wine tasting. We basically buy from the Wine Society and Majestic. Both have a huge range of prices. Majestic you have to buy a minimum of 6 and the cheapest way is to buy 2 bottles of the same wine x3 different wines. The staff in Majestic are really really good - you can go in and say what you want to pay, what other wines you like etc and they can't help you enough. They also do regular tastings

harrigran Sat 23-May-15 12:14:46

For white I favour Puligny Montrachet and for red Aloxe Corton but mostly I drink pink champagne which we bulk buy when it is on special offer at Majestic wines. The champagne has to be a particular grower, I don't do just any pink.

GrannyTwice Sat 23-May-15 12:17:20

Which pink champagne?

Teetime Sat 23-May-15 14:44:59

I like bone dry whites a favourite is Sainsbury's Languedoc- a white Grenache (£6 down from £8 at the moment) and full bodied reds again a Sainsbury favourite is their Costiere Du Nimes (Grenache and Syrah grape) £6 down from £8 plus 25% off if you buy 6 bottles. These are both very quaffable everyday wines - 'a day without wine is like a day without sun' in my house.

DH has a more sophisticated palette than me and will sometimes buy from Majestic for more leisurely drinking and leans towards a good Sancerre or Nuit St Georges but he will only have one glass- unlike me.smile

annodomini Sat 23-May-15 15:14:49

Pinot grigio is my favourite. The New Zealand pinots are usually reliable and have come down in price from the level they were at when they first produced them about 15 years ago.

rosequartz Sat 23-May-15 15:16:55

Laithwaites Black Stump is lovely.

Perhaps I shouldn't post that -they will sell out now before I can buy any more!

rosequartz Sat 23-May-15 15:17:41

I don't like pino grigio; I do like NZ sauvignon blanc though.

annsixty Sat 23-May-15 16:09:20

My name is Ann and I love wine. Never had an unlikeable one from Laithwaites yet but delivery charges have put me off. I too am a fan of Yellowtail particularly the Shiraz and Pino Grigio . Marlborough whites are good when on offer. Most from M&S are also good when at 25% off for 6.

ffinnochio Sat 23-May-15 16:59:59

A good Spanish white Rioja.

ffinnochio Sat 23-May-15 17:02:18

...and the fizzy option would be Cremant Bourgogne.

kittylester Sat 23-May-15 17:12:28

Ok, panic over! I've just bought a dozen of my whites and 6 prosecco which were 2 bottles for £12 (usually £9 each) then all had 25% off. Think of all the money I saved grin

I realise that drink can be a problem for some people but, for me, a couple of glasses of cold white wine while I am cooking dinner are a real pleasure!

GrannyTwice Sat 23-May-15 17:28:18

Am drinking a Marlborough SB as I post far too early blush

rosequartz Sat 23-May-15 17:39:26

Cheers! (not had one yet as we are going out grin)

I like a chilled Tio Pepe when I am cooking (only on Sundays!)