Gransnet forums

Food

Sugar in food.

(33 Posts)
Nelliemoser Sat 23-May-15 11:49:02

I discovered this recipe when I went on Sainsbury website to post a complaint about their Krill fishing activities.
Do any of you GNs put a teaspoon full of sugar in your Grandtoddlers Eggy bread? I am horrified.

www.facebook.com/sainsburys/photos/a.368615739376.203952.90229869376/10153860270559377/?type=1&theater

whenim64 Sat 23-May-15 12:14:17

What on earth do they need sugar for in this recipe? My lot love eggy bread with different spices or light seasoning, but it never occurred to me to sweeten it.

annodomini Sat 23-May-15 12:39:07

I have heard about sweet eggy bread but wouldn't ever make it for myself or anyone else.

Teetime Sat 23-May-15 14:46:28

NO! I am already horrified at how much table sauce they put on their food.

granjo39 Sat 23-May-15 15:40:57

I would never put sugar on eggy bread for a child-but,must confess I often have eggy bread with strawberry jam on for breakfastgrin

Iam64 Sat 23-May-15 18:30:49

I feel sorry for myself - I've been called in to have "lifestyle advice" from the practice nurse. I'm heading towards type 2 diabetes if I don't curb my sugar intake. As I'm already doing all the things on the * list she gave me about diet and exercise, I felt slightly murderous and the idea of eggy bread with strawberries is almost more than I can stand envy

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 23-May-15 18:33:35

I suppose it's only like a sweet omelette or a savoury one. Nothing wrong with either. A teaspoonful of sugar is hardly going to hurt a child.

Teetime Sun 24-May-15 09:39:48

Iam64 Davina McColl's book '5Weeks to Sugar Free* is helpful and has some really good recipes.

Iam64 Sun 24-May-15 09:53:58

Thanks Teetime, I'll find that

Nelliemoser Sun 24-May-15 10:16:09

Jingle it is described as a savoury dish.

merlotgran Sun 24-May-15 11:49:03

I don't think it's a good idea to encourage a sweet tooth in children. If they eat toast and like scrambled or boiled eggs why add sugar to eggy bread?

There is now a trend for burgers in brioche buns. Why sweeten savoury snacks or meals?

jeanie99 Tue 23-Jun-15 09:27:42

After I was diagnosed pre diabetic I become more aware of the amounts of sugar in many food products.

Because I am trying to keep my blood sugar levels down I now read all the product information before purchasing.

We need to be aware of saturated fats, sugar and salt added to the food products and base our decision on whether we purchase or not.

Nelliemoser Tue 23-Jun-15 09:48:01

Perhaps the food industry are getting worried that the current concerns about the amount of sugar in our diets will affect their massive profits if there are reductions in sugar in processed food stuffs and are are trying to get the nation even more addicted to sweet products than we are all ready.
This thought started as a wry comment but thinking about it it might just be horribly true.

I have really got it in for big business at the moment. My second such post this morning. Grumpy old NelllieM.

annodomini Tue 23-Jun-15 10:20:18

It's hard to find out what the sugar content is in restaurant foods - other than desserts, of course.

TriciaF Tue 23-Jun-15 14:25:44

Have you ever realised how difficult it is to find a sugar-free breakfast cereal? Maybe it's only in France, but it's almost impossible here.

soontobe Tue 23-Jun-15 14:34:57

Trouble is, breakfast cereal with no sugar tastes revolting.

trisher Tue 23-Jun-15 16:22:58

OMG No my DIL is a paediatric dentist she is absolutely against all added sugar and no wonder, some of the cases of tooth decay she treats are shocking.

granjura Tue 23-Jun-15 16:52:14

TriciaF- this is the reason I always make my own porridge, with a few seeds, and a little bit of cinnamon sugar- the only way to know exactly what is in your cereal.

Mamie Tue 23-Jun-15 16:55:46

We make our own muesli with 5 céréales Tricia. You can get it at the organic shop or in the organic aisle of the big supermarkets. No added sugar at all.

NanaDenise Tue 23-Jun-15 17:10:43

Hidden sugar in foods is difficult to quantify - I have been an avid food label reader for almost 50 years now. In the last 30 years, food manufacturers have almost doubled the amount of sugar in food. Check out the sugar in low-fat products against the normal product to see how much more sugar is present. Fizzy drinks, smoothies and fruit juices can have almost your entire daily allowance of sugar in one portion.

Let's hear it for plain water to drink, unprocessed foods to eat and reduce the number of sweet treats. This is not a restricted diet - there are so many delicious things to eat with natural sugars and healthy fats.

In 1972, John Yudkin wrote Pure, White and Deadly about the dangers of sugar. He was villified by the various sugar lobbies and his career ruined. The power of the multi-nationals is scary. Look how long the link between cigarettes and lung cancer was concealed by the tobacco companies.

Tooth decay, obesity, mood swings, diabetes, heart disease - who knows what else - all seem to have links to a diet high in refined sugars.

However, I am delighted to say there is less than a teaspoon of sugar in a glass of red wine. wine smile

Nelliemoser Tue 23-Jun-15 18:13:15

NanaDenise A Good post.

soontobe
Shredded Weat has no added sugar. Asda "malted wheaties" (own brand shreddies) has 16%

More information for those who want some facts.
www.nhs.uk/news/2012/02February/Pages/breakfast-cereals-still-too-high-in-sugar.aspx

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shopping-and-consumer-news/11373080/The-10-most-sugary-breakfast-cereals.html

Once in a while it does no harm but these cereals with very high sugar levels are getting the children too used to food having to taste sweet.
If you cut down on sugar gradually you quickly get used to it.

TriciaF Tue 23-Jun-15 18:29:58

The last breakfast cereal I ate (years ago) was shredded wheat, with hot milk, and a little sugar sprinkled on.
But husband likes muesli, so I get the only one from Carrefour with no added sugar, and add some extra oats and dried fruit.

granjura Tue 23-Jun-15 18:37:20

I have to say I am really concerned about the amount of sugar in food, especially those aimed at children who get used to large amounts of sugar as soon as weaned, We talked here about it before, and the addictive aspects of sugar- which some totally dismissed as rubbish.

However, when I was a kid, eggy bread was always served with cinnamon sugar, as a dessert- and I did the same with our children when they were young.

soontobe Tue 23-Jun-15 19:06:24

Thank you Nelliemoser. I havent tried Shredded Wheat in years.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 23-Jun-15 19:09:25

Yes. Shredded Wheat is the only cereal you can buy with no sugar added. No vits or minerals added either. Just plain old wheat. Not sure if that's good or not.

I read somewhere that when you feed yourself wheat for breakfast you are, in effect, just feeding yourself sugar. Because that is what it turns into.

I am on a lightly boiled egg for brekker at the moment.