Gransnet forums

Food

Cookery book reviews

(17 Posts)
HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 14:32:09

As part of our preparations to get the mobile site up and running we are changing the way we do reviews to make sure they work just as well on a phone or tablet as they do on the desktop site.

This means discontinuing the old-style review pages and moving them onto the forums instead. We will also be losing the product reviews topic on the forums as we reckon it's far easier to find reviews for beauty products, say, under 'Style and beauty' or great hotels under 'Travel' than it is to trawl through reams of things that are not relevant to your search.

That bit coming soon - but for now we will be reposting all your reviews for cookery books on this thread so that the info is still available to anyone who'd like to use it. Of course if you have others that you would like to rave/moan about do feel free to add here too.

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 14:39:06

How To Bake: The Great British Bake Off - Linda Collister with Mary Berry & Paul Hollywood - overall rating 10/10

(From MrsJamJam)

(2012) I was given this book for Christmas and I love it! Have taken up bread making again and the recipes in here work perfectly. The rustic loaf is made using a method I've never come across before but it gives really tasty loaf, a little bit similar to sourdough but without days and days of faffing around.

All these lovely cake recipes make keeping the weight down even more of a challenge.

Will definitely be buying this for others.

(From ctrevor)

(2011) This is an excellent book, the recipes are easy to follow and the results have been good upto now! I loved watching the tv programme Mary Berry always gave good tips.

(From CariGransnet)

(2011) If you are as addicted to the programme as I am then you won't be disappointed with this beautiful book.

It's really well laid out and everything is very clear with lots of tips and gorgeous (mouth-watering) photography. Some of the recipes are simply recipes, some offer a step-by-step guide.

The things I have made so far (all chocolate based!) have been delicious and fairly simple. I own loads of baking books - but this has already become a favourite and I'm sure I'll be buying it as a gift on a regular basis.

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 14:41:54

British Baking, Peyton and Byrne - overall rating 10/10

(From twinsmum100)

(2011) I received this book as a complimentary gift for subscribing to Olive Magazine and I just love it.

The recipes are classic and everything I've make has come out exactly as the pictures show, which is somewhat of a miracle.

A personal triumph has to be the Black Forest Gateux it was incredible (probably due to the amount of Kirsch in it!)

Highly recommended!

(From susiecb)

(2011) Classic baking cook book but updates with modern ingredients, lovely photographs. All the recipes I tried came out exactly as shown - I usually reduce the sugar a little and this had no detrimental effect on the outcome.

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 14:57:47

Fishy Fishy Cookbook - James Ginzler, Paul Shovlin and Loz Talent - overall rating 10/10

(From singinggran)

(2012) This is a different,but very useful book, which is based on recipes from the Fishy Fishy restaurants in Brighton and Poole. Fishy Fishy's ethos is fresh, local, seasonal fish and shellfish caught in the most environmentally friendly and sustainable way. The majority of the book is fish recipes, some familiar, but many with a twist, which has inspired me, and meant more fish on the menu in our house! There is a small section on sauces and side dishes, though only four desserts. But what absolutely yummy desserts, any of which would complement the delicious fish recipes! If you haven't yet seen this book, make it something you do soon! A fabulous and very worthwhile addition to my cookery books!

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 15:00:38

Gordon Ramsay's Great Escape (series) - overall rating 10/10

(From lisajordan18)

(2012) These books are based on his TV Series and are particularly good if you like spicy food as a lot of the recipies are from India.

The Quick Lunches section is particularly good and you don't need to buy a whole cupboard of ingredients for each and every recipe as a lot of the ingredients are repeated in other dishes.

Really enjoying trying all of the new flavours!

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 15:02:01

Jam, Jelly & Relish by Ghillie James - overall rating 10/10

(From lucid)

(2011) This is a lovely book to read even if you don't want to use the recipes. To quote the book.....'simple preserves, pickles and chutneys and creative ways to cook with them'. I originally bought this book for a friend and was so delighted with it I went out and bought another for myself.

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 15:03:38

Leon: Naturally Fast Food by Henry Dimbleby & John Vincent - overall rating 10/10

(From glam)

(2011) Great and easy-to-produce recipes. Unusual and interesting tips and advice. But the best bit is that each recipe clearly identifies if it is dairy/gluten or wheat free. Also, whether it is a veggie, healthy or 'good' carbs dish. A must for every kitchen.

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 15:06:12

Mary Berry's Baking Bible by Mary Berry - overall rating 10/10

(From Woody)

(2012) Although I am a baker of over 40 years I found this book had some great tips - some I knew and had forgotten and some were completely new. Great recipes too.

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 15:07:59

Perfect, Felicity Clarke - overall rating 10/10

(From MrsJamJam)

(2012) Picked this up as an 'impulse' buy and have been finding it really useful.

She has researched lots of recipes for various staple dishes, and then having tried them all out gives the best one, so lots of advice about what works and why.

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 15:09:35

The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days by Tarek Malouf - overall rating 10/10

(From susiecb)

(2011) Beautifully set out book, easy to read recipes with some new cakes to try including cupcakes and American muffins.

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 15:13:07

The Silver Spoon by Emilia Terragni - overall rating 10/10

(From Chubby)

(2012) Fantastic cookbook. So many recipes to choose from. The baking section is wonderful too. Recipes great even for the nervous cook (as I am!).

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 15:15:15

Cake Angels by Julia Thomas - overall rating 9.2/10

(From Lupin)

(2015) Brilliant recipes even if you do not have to avoid dairy, wheat or gluten. We have a coeliac in the family and yet we all enjoy the cakes from this book. The cherry and almond cupcakes, peanut butter cupcakes, carrot cake and brownies are superb.

It's a most attractively produced book and I even have it downloaded on my Kindle.

(From grayjill)

(2011) Julia Thomas deserves a medal for helping to do away with the sense of deprivation that food intolerance can cause.

This book is wonderful if you ever want to bake cakes for people who have gluten or dairy allergies. The recipes are simple to follow and geuinely foolproof.

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 15:19:26

Home Cooking Made Easy by Lorraine Pascale - overall rating 9/10

(From wallers5)

(2011) A delightful relaxed method of cooking, making everything simple & easy. A lovely change from exotic cooking.

(From Gally)

(2011) I watched a few of her programmes on the TV - don't usually watch many cookery programmes as there are so many, but was quite taken with her. I bought the book on impulse as it was staring at me from a shelf in Asda willing me to buy it. Have yet to try anything, but am revving up for action. Everything is fairly everyday, but with a twist. Looking forward to the goat's cheese truffles which look good but are very simple to make and may have a go at My Big Fat Tipsy Trifle which sounds a bit like me!!

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 15:33:48

Baking Collection, Sainsburys - overall rating 9/10

(From grayjill)

(2011) If you want simple but delicious recipes then buying this will be the best £5 you've spent. Surprisingly the book also includes some very tasty savoury recipes so there's something for all the family.

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 15:35:41

Fantastico!: Modern Italian Food by Gino D'Acampo - overall rating 9/10

(From glammanana)

(2011) This is my favourite Gino cookbook I have many of his pasta cookbooks but this one does have a nice twist to it. Try the Italian Shepherd's Pie - nice and simple for a mid week change and also Baked Tenderloin with Rosemary flavoured Yorkshire Pudding - a nice change from the usual Sunday roast. All the recipes are as Gino says - minimum effort but maximum satisfaction.

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 15:49:54

Nigella Express, Nigella Lawson - overall rating 8.4/10

(From goose1964)

(2012) I must agree about Nigella's use of expensive ingredients - however not all recipes include them. I have made a number of dishes from this and found them all to be highly successful.

(From CariGransnet)

(2011) Loved it! Am so often short of time and to have a whole book of recipes that are quick, easy and yet still different/delicious is a real plus.

Particular favourites are the Instant Pancake Mix (brilliant for a super fast weekend brunch), Glazed Salmon and the Glitzy Chocolate Puddings which have been tried and tested on a number of occasions and never fail to impress.

I'm a big fan of all Nigella's books - but this is definitely the one I use the most.

HQ1 Mon 03-Aug-15 15:58:00

Winter On The Farm by Matthew Evans - overall rating 8/10

(From singinggran)

(2012) The subtitle of this book is "Heartwarming food for the cold months" and it is a wonderful collection of recipes, under chapter headings of "Sleep-in food", "Substantial soups", "Rib-sticking meals", "Puddings and things to eat while drinking tea" as well as "Sturdy dishes" and "Winter vegetables".

The recipes are easy to follow, though occasionally the fact that Matthew Evans is from Tasmania, means that there are some things that we are not perhaps familiar with. I have not found this an obstacle in producing some very satisfying and tasty meals! The photography, particularly of winter countryside, is very effective, and makes this a most enjoyable book to leaf through, as well as a useful addition to my cookbook collection.