Gransnet forums

Food

Food 1967 style

(34 Posts)
gran5up Mon 24-Aug-15 13:21:00

Next year I'm 70 (I should live so long)
No 70th birthday party but a 21-again party:hooray, I was 21 in 1967 so the music will be great!
The food's my concern, there are 5 GC aged from 3-17 (now) and their parents and assorted adults.
I'm cooking: I eat fish not meat,all others are omnivores.Any ideas?
Steak is too dear,thank you!
I thought melon boats or prawn cocktail to start and black forest gateau or fruit salad pud,but it's the mains...

Grannyeggs Mon 24-Aug-15 13:24:16

Chili Con carne and without carne? I remember eating a lot of chili in the 60s and 70s.

Alea Mon 24-Aug-15 13:25:50

Chicken in aspic, carbonnade of beef, duck a l'orange, prawn mousse ring (in Tupperware of course( anything coloured bright green (see Fanny Haddock) Coronation Chicken!!
Have a wonderful time!

Tegan Mon 24-Aug-15 13:26:41

Have you watched that prgramme, Back in Time for dinner [tea?]? It was repeated recently. They did one decade in each programme. How about Angel Delight?

Tegan Mon 24-Aug-15 13:27:55

Just checked; it is still on iplayer. I missed it first time round and found it fascinating.

posie Mon 24-Aug-15 13:29:08

What a good idea, Beef goulash, Gammon?

Elegran Mon 24-Aug-15 13:31:38

Don't believe all that you see on Back in Time, though. We didn't eat the horrible meals they were subjected to.

janeainsworth Mon 24-Aug-15 13:53:50

I think it was 1967 when my mother discovered Spag Bol.

Alea Mon 24-Aug-15 14:00:51

Sorry I missed the not eating meat. I would look at cookery books from that era, like Marguerite Patten, Katie Srewart, Good Housekeeping etc. ( I have quite a few!!) how about Waldorf Salad ( provided you can get the waldorfsgrin )

annsixty Mon 24-Aug-15 14:30:32

For the meat eaters, wasn't that also the era of Coq au Vin? Which has the added bonus that it can be cooked the day before.

rosesarered Mon 24-Aug-15 14:42:13

Most people like Coronation Chicken and it can be made in industrial amounts if needed!

merlotgran Mon 24-Aug-15 14:45:39

Chicken Chasseur, Scampi and chips in a basket, Boeuf Bourguignon, Cheese fondue?

suzied Mon 24-Aug-15 14:50:46

We had a 1960s party and had a buffet. Cheesy pineapple hedgehog was a hit! Don't forget the babycham and Blue Nun and the Chianti in a straw covered bottle.

rosesarered Mon 24-Aug-15 14:54:24

Ooh! babycham, I'd love a Babycham!

rosequartz Mon 24-Aug-15 15:05:57

Yes, Cheesy pineapple hedgehog is a must!! I still like cheese and pineapple on sticks.

I have just found my 'Home Guide to Freezing' from 1968. Recipes include Chain cooking:
With Minced Beef - chilli con carne, bolognaise sauce, steak maison
Chicken - chicken kievs, chicken curry, kromeskies (?) + others

Buffets include Tuna Mousse, rice salad, lasagne, apple strudel and lots of others

Hostess Menus for Special Dinner Parties include:

Chicken liver pate
Gazpacho
French Apple Tart (I still make this)
Vichyssoise
Glazed salmon trout
Prawn curry
Boeuf Bourguinon (I still make this)
Boeuf Stroganoff (and this)
Chicken paprika
Chicken with pineapple
Jugged Hare (never tried this!)
Rum Sponge - remember rum babas?
Orange Flummery

rosequartz Mon 24-Aug-15 15:09:10

I suppose Coronation Chicken is strictly speaking from 1953, but I made some for a gathering last year (industrial amounts) using Mary Berry's recipe and it seemed to go down a treat.

That's an idea for next month's celebrations - retro recipes from 1953!

janerowena Mon 24-Aug-15 15:21:59

I remember loving stuffed peppers. Rice, onions, herbs, beans, maybe mushrooms inside. However my mother was a very adventurous cook, so I am never sure if it was something recreated from going abroad, or a recipe from a women's magazine.

Melon and pineapple and things stuck on cocktail sticks!

granma47 Mon 24-Aug-15 15:31:17

Vesta meals

feetlebaum Mon 24-Aug-15 16:28:52

Fondu... either bits of meat and hot oil, or a rather nice Dutch cheese laced with (not necessarily Dutch) gin. You ate the latter with cubes of bread on your stick, dipped in the cheesy stuff. We all blistered our tongues...

Had my first Chinese in the 60s, in Cheltenham of all places. It was the kind you don't seem to see now, with Chow Mein - and a Special named for the restaurant, that always, wherever you were, came with a fried egg on top. I still don't know how to tackle a fried egg with chopsticks.

annsixty Mon 24-Aug-15 16:38:13

Oh I've just remembered Chicken Maryland. I loved it!!

rosequartz Mon 24-Aug-15 16:48:07

I still can't tackle much at all with chopsticks!

Chicken Maryland. Yes!

rosequartz Mon 24-Aug-15 16:54:05

Everyone thinks of prawn cocktail, steak and chips followed by Black Forest gateau as the 1960s meal!

The alternative could be Gazpacho, Chicken Maryland or salmon in aspic followed by rum babas. With Chianti and/or Blue Nun or Bird's Eye Florida Orange juice.

Anya Mon 24-Aug-15 16:57:56

Lit by a straw Chianti bottle in the middle of the table with a red candle in it and wax dripping down the side to give the right ambience wine

rosequartz Mon 24-Aug-15 17:03:43

Has gran5up gone?
Too busy filling the freezer with all these delights!

dorsetpennt Mon 24-Aug-15 17:19:37

I had , and still have, a fondue set as a wedding present from 1968. In the 70s I remember cheese cake being rather good to serve at your dinner party. Also avocado pears with prawn mayo or vinaigrette. I first had Chicken Kiev in the US at a dinner party there. Now it's almost common.