Gransnet forums

Food

Freezing gammon

(14 Posts)
WilmaKnickersfit Wed 07-Oct-15 17:48:18

Hello cooking peeps!

I'm doing gammon in ginger ale in the slow cooker for visitors and I wondered if I can freeze some of it? If the answer is yes, I'm guessing I let it cool before freezing?

I only have a small freezer and rarely freeze cooked food, but the quantity cooked should be large enough to freeze at least two portions.

Thank you. smile

shysal Wed 07-Oct-15 17:57:23

I often freeze slow-cooked gammon. It will be fine, and yes cool it first. I have tried it in a chunk and sliced, both successful.

spyder08 Wed 07-Oct-15 18:02:06

Shysal beat me to it.....yes cool completely and then slice/cube depending what you will use it for. I have done both and they were fine

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 07-Oct-15 18:32:10

Great stuff - thank you! flowers

Greyduster Wed 07-Oct-15 22:03:35

Another one for yes. I do it quite often.

grannyqueenie Wed 07-Oct-15 23:03:51

I've never frozen cooked gammon, I always worried it might make too salty......maybe I was wrong?

annsixty Thu 08-Oct-15 14:12:55

Late to this thread. Do you cook it in a sauce or just well wrapped? Thank you.

annsixty Thu 08-Oct-15 14:20:04

I did mean freeze it in a sauce blush

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 08-Oct-15 14:26:15

The recipe I am using is from the slow cooker section on the Aldi website

www.aldi.co.uk/en/recipes/recipes-by-category/slow-cooker-recipes/gingered-gammon/

I bought two 750g pieces of gammon, but one was more than enough for the three servings I need, so the other is now in the freezer. Otherwise I used the ingredients as stated (all my ingredients came from ASDA).

It's for dinner tonight, so I will report back! I'm veggie, so won't be tasting it myself. wink

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 08-Oct-15 14:29:25

Sorry cross posted. That's a good question annsixty because the photo of the recipe I am using doesn't seem to show the liquid the meat is cooked in and I assumed you didn't serve the liquid.

loopylou Fri 09-Oct-15 07:20:08

I wrap it tightly in grease proof paper then foil, if it's been cooked in a sauce then it goes with the sauce into an airtight container. I've never had a problem with saltiness, but I always soak gammon joints before cooking.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 09-Oct-15 08:12:54

They ate it all, so nothing left to freeze LOL! grin

I do have the other piece of gammon in the freezer though and I think I will just cook it to use in sandwiches.

looplou I did rinse the gammon at the start, but do you think soaking it overnight is another way of removing the salt? Do you soak it in plain water or do you add anything else at that stage?

annsixty Fri 09-Oct-15 08:13:55

Thank you both. I don't cook gammon in a sauce but make a parsley or onion sauce to serve. I will try well wrapped first.

Bijou Fri 09-Oct-15 14:52:44

To reduce the saltiness, cover with water, bring to the boil then drain. Being alone I use the freezer a lot to freeze cooked meats. Sliced in gravy or cooking liquid in single portions to avoid drying out.