Gransnet forums

Food

I've just made a Leicestershire Apple Cake

(70 Posts)
Stansgran Mon 12-Oct-15 10:20:41

And it set me wondering. Do people who live in Leicestershire make this on a regular basis? And do people who live in Eccles and Bakewell have it as a standby bake? I can see Cornish pasties being a standby in Cornwall but Scotch pancakes or suchlike,do you grow up making a local speciality. I come from Liverpool and have never made Scouser or lobs course and in the NE I ve never met anyone who's made a singin'hinney.

Stansgran Mon 12-Oct-15 10:22:28

Lobs course= lob scouse and I left out Eccles cake and Bakewell tart. Going back to bed.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Oct-15 10:24:29

I don't think we've got any Berkshire - or Oxfordshire either (very close) - dishes of our own. confused Shame really.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Oct-15 10:26:48

Leicestershire apple cake could be adopted though! smile Is the recipe online?

whitewave Mon 12-Oct-15 10:29:46

Sussex pound pudding. Pudding with a whole lemon and butter in the middle.

kittylester Mon 12-Oct-15 10:30:31

I live in Leicestershire and have never even heard of it! confused Tell us about it!

Bakewell Pudding is still made in Bakewell - they don't make Bakewell Tarts as the Bakewell Tart is somebody something totally different grin

whitewave Mon 12-Oct-15 10:31:15

Cornish saffron cake. Hogs pudding. I have a really ancient Cornish recipe book, must dig it out

kittylester Mon 12-Oct-15 10:35:42

Leicestershire and apples are not a combination that automatically springs to mind! confused

durhamjen Mon 12-Oct-15 10:36:11

I make singin' hinnies, Stansgran.
I make pease pudding, too, just not with the ham which seems to be a staple up here.
Believe it or not, I also make Yorkshire puddings.

durhamjen Mon 12-Oct-15 10:44:24

Don't you have Berkshire pigs, jingl?
Must be a recipe for Berkshire pork pies.

whitewave Mon 12-Oct-15 10:49:04

grin careful what you find in it though!

Galen Mon 12-Oct-15 11:25:53

Black pudding from the blackcountry!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Oct-15 11:41:10

I don't like those Bakewell puddings from that shop in Bakewell. Soggy. Disappointing. I prefer Mr Kipling's Bakewell tarts.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Oct-15 11:41:48

jen I'm not making no kind of a pig cake.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Oct-15 11:42:47

I make Yorkshire puddings! smile

Galen Mon 12-Oct-15 12:03:05

I ADORE Yorkshire puddings!
My late husband made wonderful ones. He was taught by his mother who came from Sheffield

Galen Mon 12-Oct-15 12:04:48

Which Jen? 3 of us are Jen and hogs pudding, ham and black pudding are all pig.

ajanela Mon 12-Oct-15 12:14:00

I made a Dorset Apple cake for my Book club here in Portugal, they loved it. I have tried various recipes over the years but the one I use now you sprinkle 50 grams of light brown sugar mixed with a level teaspoon of cinnamon over the top before you bake it. I also make it in a flan dish although the recipe says a tin and a longer backing time.

tigger Mon 12-Oct-15 12:14:11

Never heard of Leicestershire Apple Cake, but when I went to visit relatives in Oxfordshire we always had 'lardy cake"!

rosequartz Mon 12-Oct-15 12:28:22

I have made a Dorset Apple Cake two or three times (over the years) but I re-named it 'Wye Valley Apple Cake' wink I wonder if it is the same recipe with different names?

Time to make another one, I think, we have lots of apples and not enough takers. I bet they'd all eat the Wye Valley Apple Cake though!

I made Cornish Devon pasties when we lived in Devon.

I saw those Bakewell puddings in that shop in Bakewell last year - I was so looking forward to one - but didn't buy one! I prefer the ones that are not authentic.

rosequartz Mon 12-Oct-15 12:34:41

I made a Sussex Pond Pudding once, although we have never lived in Sussex (I think we lived in Middlesex at the time - near enough!).
It was utterly delicious but about a thousand calories a portion.

Oxford Marmalade? Perhaps you could make an Oxfordfshire pudding with it

And here you are: Berkshire Bacon Pudding
www.nigella.com/recipes/view/berkshire-bacon-pudding-1155

Greyduster Mon 12-Oct-15 12:36:15

I agree with jingle regarding Bakewell pudding, but I make Bakewell tart with black cherry pie filling in the base instead of jam. It makes a delicious pudding served warm with cream. As for Yorkshire pudding, hailing from Sheffield like Galen's mother in law, to my eternal shame I still can't make a decent one. I'm sure that every failure I have causes my dear late mother to turn in her grave! My daughter, on the other hand, makes splendid Yorkshires!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Oct-15 12:36:40

Somehow hogs pudding doesn't sound quite as appealing Apple cake (of any geographical region)

I meant durhamjen Galen. You are Galen. smile

rosequartz Mon 12-Oct-15 12:38:47

Cornish saffron cake Ooh, yes!
When I worked in Devon many many moons ago we used to go to the nearby baker's on Friday lunchtimes and buy 'Friday Dough Cake' (a saffron cake). Friday's dough cake was extra special for some reason.
We'd eat it at afternoon tea spread with butter
And I was thin in those days hmm

Greyduster Mon 12-Oct-15 12:40:44

I have a good friend here who makes Welsh cakes, which DH, being Welsh loves. His mother used to make them. However, when we visit his family in Wales, we never see them and certainly no-one makes them.