Gransnet forums

Food

Things you loved as a child.

(53 Posts)
Daddima Fri 20-Nov-15 17:40:10

When I was wee, we always went to my granny Sarah's on a Friday, and had Heinz tomato soup with Marshall's macaroni. It's not the same nowadays.
We also got tinned hamburgers of an evening (mibbe Westlers or Co-op?) with processed peas and chips. Once again, it's not the same. Is it because the taste buds are dying?

vampirequeen Fri 20-Nov-15 17:54:23

No it's because you've tasted better stuff since.

Ana Fri 20-Nov-15 17:54:58

grin

vampirequeen Fri 20-Nov-15 17:56:30

I used to love vinegar. I would drink it given half a chance. I only stopped when my mam told me it would dry up my blood hmm

Jane10 Fri 20-Nov-15 17:58:01

Bermaline bread. So delicious. An oval shaped brown loaf. Long gone I'm afraid.

Anniebach Fri 20-Nov-15 18:18:27

Welsh rarebit , at my grandpa's house, not allowed it at home because there was alcohol in it

Falconbird Fri 20-Nov-15 18:39:29

Oh Welsh Rarebit - my mum had a wonderful recipe for Welsh Rarebit she
was given the recipe by a cook and it was delicious.

Sadly mum is long gone and I forgot to get the recipe from her. I remember it
involved custard powder and mustard.

If any Grans know a recipe like this I would love to have it.

Anniebach Fri 20-Nov-15 19:03:11

I have never eaten it made with custard powder Falconbird, it is delicious isn't it?

tanith Fri 20-Nov-15 19:24:34

Can't imagine Welsh Rarebit with custard powder , are you sure it wasn't mustard powder Falconbird some recipes call for mustard powder.. anyway I love it any which way..

ninathenana Fri 20-Nov-15 19:27:27

alcohol, custard powder shock
I didn't know there was a recipe for Welsh rarebit. In our house it was cheese on toast maybe with a dash of ketchup on top.

Ana Fri 20-Nov-15 19:32:48

Ooh, no, that's not Welsh rarebit nina! Welsh rarebit requires proper cooking, although recipes vary according to taste.

mollie Fri 20-Nov-15 20:01:18

Butterscotch Angel Delight. And Lemon Meringue Pie. Yummy!

tinaf1 Fri 20-Nov-15 20:23:20

Palm toffee bars especially the banana flavoured could make it last all day

annodomini Fri 20-Nov-15 20:32:46

Talking of custard powder, I remember my late MiL putting a tablespoonful of it in her batter for deep fried fish. To do her justice - which I don't always - it was very tasty and I adopted the recipe myself. I don't remember many things I loved as a child. I was twelve before rationing finally finished. However, when my uncle took for a Sunday afternoon walk to the harbour, we would stop at an Italian ice-cream shop where we would buy a 'slider' - ice cream between two wafers. If I was very lucky,one or both of the wafers would have marshmallow inside it. This all made for a delighfully squidgy treat!

Alima Fri 20-Nov-15 20:41:07

Corona cherryade, Lovehearts sweets, often got some as a treat on a Friday. Jublies, still love butterscotch Angel Delight. Bathchap I think it was called, remember it as ham with crumbs on it. ( Might have been a local to Derby name).

rosesarered Fri 20-Nov-15 20:49:31

American cream soda pop, dandelion and burdock, nettle beer, local , yellow, creamy ice cream, made on a farm.Sherbet plus dab. Kaylie with a twist of licorice in it, McGowans threepenny toffee bars, chocolate spread on bread,
A meat pie half submerged in pea and ham soup ( known as floaters)
Corned beef hash.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 20-Nov-15 21:09:03

Wonder why they don't sell wafer ice creams nowadays. Always tasted much nice really than cornets.

Grandma2213 Sat 21-Nov-15 01:01:57

My dad did shift work and if he was off in the afternoons we would go for long walks along the river banks. Once a week the ice cream van would visit the village and on the way home on that day he would send me running ahead (up two 1:4 hills) to get ice cream. When he and my younger siblings arrived home we would have the ice cream in 'dandelion and burdock' pop or occasionally lemonade.

I remember the taste being 'exquisite' and would never try it again now in case I was disappointed!

Falconbird Sat 21-Nov-15 05:34:20

It was custard powder but only about half a dessertspoonful. It made the rarebit very yellow and thickened the mixture. I think it was a "secret ingredient."

Palm toffee bars. I loved them but they took out my fillings. shock

Banana flavoured ice lollies from the ice cream man.

Barley sugar sticks. [also took out fillings]

Leticia Sat 21-Nov-15 07:13:51

I used to love golden syrup on bread and in porridge - I can't imagine liking either now.
I loved dripping on toast for tea.
There were toffee bars with a highland cow on the front cost 3d. Loved sherbet fountains and barley sugar sticks.

Stansgran Sat 21-Nov-15 09:48:08

In Liverpool Connieonnie sandwiches. (Condensed milk)

Anniebach Sat 21-Nov-15 09:50:18

Toffee apples , a widow in the village use to make them and sell to make a little money

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 21-Nov-15 09:51:58

Sliced white bread. When it first came on the scene I used to eat half a loaf at a time. My poor mother thought it might fatten me up. It didn't. I was still skinny.

Still love it now.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 21-Nov-15 09:52:48

Now, I always found toffee apples disappointing. You gnawed through the toffee and it was - an apple.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 21-Nov-15 09:53:43

I still love golden syrup sandwiches. Can't have it in the house now though. sad