Gransnet forums

Food

Sweet potatoes

(16 Posts)
TinyTwo Fri 27-Nov-15 16:56:56

I have a ton of them (well, 5 really, but they're HUGE). Could do wedges (again). Or mash. But wondered if anyone had any other suggestions/good recipes...?

kittylester Fri 27-Nov-15 17:08:45

I love twice fried sweet potato fat chips or oven chips with them parboiled and then put in a roasting tin in hot oil which a been heated with loads of whole garlic cloves. Not quite wedges but not far off!!

Grannyknot Fri 27-Nov-15 17:11:10

Baked as for baked potato, split and served with sour cream.

jusnoneed Fri 27-Nov-15 18:47:46

I cube sweet potatoes & aubergine. Also slice courgette. Add onion and garlic, olive oil and season. Roast in the oven for an hour or until cooked through. Nice served with lasagne.

hildajenniJ Fri 27-Nov-15 18:49:23

Pie, like pumpkin only with sweet potatoes instead.

GrandmaKT Fri 27-Nov-15 23:54:08

Candid sweet potatoes are a fantastic accompaniment to roast turkey at Christmas (much better than cranberry sauce imho. Just peel and cube and bake for about 40 mins with brown sugar and butter. Will freeze til Xmas.

SeattleFoodie Fri 04-Dec-15 15:33:42

I steam them, until soft, then sprinkle a no salt seasoning on them, then bake them and you have a healthy french fry with no oil.

JessM Fri 04-Dec-15 15:49:23

In NZ they are known as kumara and kumara chips are pretty darn good. You can get them from some chip shops, along with, sometimes, deep fried battered scallops. sigh.
(just like wedges only smaller i guess)
Kumara curry.
Oh and they are good in soup.

TerriBull Fri 04-Dec-15 17:54:32

I like sweet potatoes, one of my son loves them and rarely eats the other kind anymore. He and his girlfriend cooked a meal for us on my husband's birthday back in September, which included some very nice sweet potato chips sprinkled with Chilli powder, good but hot! I use them in mash sometimes mixing them with Maris Pipers, my grandson of 18 months also likes them when I give them to him. I put them in casseroles as well, just chop them up and throw them in no pre boiling.

Indinana Fri 04-Dec-15 18:08:24

I tried this recipe two or three weeks ago. Really delicious, can thoroughly recommend it!

markpit Wed 13-Jan-16 12:24:42

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Charleygirl Wed 13-Jan-16 12:32:49

Reported

Elegran Wed 13-Jan-16 12:34:26

In Bhopal! I wonder what the carriage charges are? Not somewhere you would pop in for a pint of milk . . .

Terri Wed 13-Jan-16 12:52:19

Sweet potatoes l have just seen a lasagne made with them on Lorraine,slice the potatoes very very thin,layer with mince twice,third layer on top sprinkled with Parmesan cheese very healthy.Find recipe on today's Lorraine programme.

Greyduster Wed 13-Jan-16 13:06:28

That sounds really nice indinana; i might try it on my son when he comes down again. He roasted some sweet potatoes when we went up to lunch at the weekend. I said "dad won't eat them, he's always refused them when we've had them". He said okay. They went on his plate anyway and DH ate them, then said "they were nice, what were they". When told, he said, "why haven't we had them, then?" Me under the table chewing the carpet! I like them roasted, then topped with soured cream and chives.

LullyDully Wed 13-Jan-16 14:04:11

Cut into oven chips with a bit of oil and lots of caraway seeds, salt and pepper. Lovely.