Gransnet forums

Food

What's your favourite roast dinner?

(61 Posts)
TerriBull Fri 05-Feb-16 18:35:45

Gransnet have alerted me, and possibly many of us here that it's Yorkshire Pudding Day on Sunday, I didn't know that. Do you have a roast most Sundays, if so, what's your favourite choice. If beef or lamb do you like it pink, what must accompany your roast dinner to make it perfect?

obieone Fri 05-Feb-16 18:56:09

Chicken. But too much of it makes me sleepy. We have roast about once every three weeks.

Auntieflo Fri 05-Feb-16 18:58:08

Lamb, but now that it is just the two of us, not often

downtoearth Fri 05-Feb-16 19:03:23

I seem to have gone off meat recently,never having been a huge fan in the first place,but my meat of choice for a roast is beef,wafer thin and melt in the mouth slightly pink in the middle,yorkshires,roast potatoes,roast parsnips, lots of veg and my most favourite, cauliflower cheese,thick gravy,and creamed horseradish...dont have many roasts now.

Alima Fri 05-Feb-16 19:07:32

Well done roast beef with Yorkshires, roast spuds, any veg, gravy and horseradish sauce.

rosesarered Fri 05-Feb-16 19:10:18

My favourite is exactly the same as yours downtoearth and we have this about every three weeks on Sunday ( unless we go out for lunch, but even then we choose roast beef.) Yorkshire puddings are wonderful, or to use a bit of dialect, by gum theer grand!

loopylou Fri 05-Feb-16 19:13:05

Definitely roast beef and all the trimmings, my mouth's watering downtoearth and Alima reading your posts!

I rarely cook a big roast so it's a real treat for us, but I love going to the pub for Sunday lunch ?

annsixty Fri 05-Feb-16 19:16:43

We have a roast most weeks and the favourite is always the one I have cooked that day. BUT Yorkshire puddings only with beef, wonderful ceaymy onion sauce with lamb and stuffing with chicken and pork ,which actually is the one we have least often.

Indinana Fri 05-Feb-16 19:16:45

I love roast beef and Yorkshire pud, so I think I'll be celebrating Yorkshire Pudding Day on Sunday smile. My favourite cut is topside and I always cook it the way my mother did - in a saucepan on the hob, with the tiniest amount of water, just enough to stop it sticking. It cooks slowly, in the steam from the fat that runs from it, and is always so tender and succulent. I have occasionally roasted it, but it is simply never as tender or tasty, so I always go back to the hob method!
I'll cook it with roast potatoes, roast parsnips, carrots cooked in a tinfoil parcel with a knob of butter and white wine, and some green veg. And, of course, Yorkshire puds and horseradish sauce. My mouth is watering at the thought of it grin.
We used to have a roast every Sunday but nowadays only about one week in three.

TerriBull Fri 05-Feb-16 19:16:54

I like my beef not too well done, must have Yorkshires, crispy roast potatoes, parsnips and other veg and horseradish. I like lamb pink with slivers of garlic and Rosemary, I don't do Yorkshires with lamb I like a tray of different roast veg, including carrots onions and potatoes and French beans on the side and mint sauce. If we have chicken and grandchildren are around I have Yorkshire puddings as a concession to them, otherwise not. Sadly we don't have roast pork, I like it but husband doesn't but when I occasionally do have it, I like it well done with crackling, stuffing and apple sauce, like the picture on the GN site with roast potatoes and something like red cabbage and carrots. Oh and gravy with all of them of course.

annsixty Fri 05-Feb-16 19:18:19

That is creamy onion sauce. Fat finger or predictive text.

Greyduster Fri 05-Feb-16 20:46:19

We have a roast dinner every other Sunday. I like all roast meats, but lamb is my favourite. Although I like my meat pink (if beef - preferably rib - more than pink!), DH likes his meat well done, and I wouldn't feed underdone meat to GS, so we tend to have to err on the side of well done. GS's favourite is roast pork with crackling and apple sauce; it's worth the mess good crackling can make of the oven just to see his face light up when he knows it's on the menu! There are always roast potatoes - sometimes a mixture of ordinary and sweet - carrots, plus a couple of green veg, and always Yorkshire pudding. I'm ashamed to say I didn't know it was Yorkshire pudding day on Sunday, but there'll just be DH and I, so it'll be a casserole this week, no Yorkshires! At our local carvery, they do lovely braised onions. I've never tried to cook them myself, but I'm the only one that likes them anyway, so not worth the bother sad.

merlotgran Fri 05-Feb-16 20:50:44

My favourite is the same as downtoearth, followed closely by roast lamb, roast pork, roast chicken, roast turkey, roast goose, roast duck, roast venison - last weekend we had roast pheasant.

As you can guess, I love a good roast grin

kittylester Fri 05-Feb-16 21:02:13

I love roasts and enjoy cooking them as they are so easy to do. Our favourite is roast pork - usually spare rib. We have it with roast potatoes, stuffing, cauliflower cheese and honey roast carrots and loads of wine gravy. Otherwise we love roast chicken.

One of the best bits of having a roast is that Monday's meal is sorted too!

gaga1949 Fri 05-Feb-16 21:15:02

First time for me on the forum! I would really like to come to the lunch that is being planned. It would be lovely to meet some new people. Can anyone tell me how to go about being on the list? Thank you

Pippa000 Sat 06-Feb-16 06:35:21

Even though there is now just the two of us it is always a roast on a Sunday. Unfortunately here in Cyprus the butchery is very different and they don't do a proper roast joint, not part of the culture I suppose, and Pork always comes without skin, so no crackling. But we can get 'beef chops' so two together make a rib joint for roasting.

loopylou Sat 06-Feb-16 07:06:39

I like the sound of a 'beef chop' Pippa!

TerriBull Sat 06-Feb-16 10:21:59

Hi gaga 1949 welcome.

I think there are several get togethers being planned at the moment but they are in different regions, which one did you have in mind? I know that all meet ups, to my knowledge, have been on the basis of anyone is welcome, it's just a matter of recalling which thread you saw that on, whether it's in your area, and if not, would you be happy to travel?, I think many have done on occasions. I'm hoping someone will see this post and try and point you in the right direction. Otherwise, you could consider starting a thread of your own as a newcomer and ask about "meet ups" I am certain you will get a good response.

granjura Sat 06-Feb-16 11:48:41

Beef, but must be mature ribs- or lamb.

miep Sat 06-Feb-16 12:25:14

Beef, very rare with gf Yorkshire pudding. Then lamb, pink with garlic and herbs, chicken with bacon and stuffing, lastly pork as my least favourite.

pollyparrot Sat 06-Feb-16 17:53:59

What a great thread. My Sunday dinner is my favourite dinner of the entire week. We have a Sunday practically every Sunday. If the family are coming I'll probably do beef and chicken. I always do Yorkshire pud, when they come as they all love it, especially the DGC.

I love chicken for Sunday dinner, especially with proper homemade stuffing. Having said that, I also love pork with stuffing and apple sauce and plenty of crackling.

I like lamb as well. I do shoulder of lamb, with lashings of mint sauce.

I like turkey as well.

I always do sprouts in the winter, as we love them. I also like the colour of carrots and peas, but I like all veg really.

The roasties have to be the star of the show. I like Albert Roosters, par boiled, air dried and tossed in a little seasoned flour to make sure they're nice and crispy.

All with plenty of homemade gravy. Drool....

Coolgran65 Sat 06-Feb-16 18:11:06

Always a roast on a Sunday, usually 8 of us.
Roast potatoes are the star as dgc would feel deprived without them. I tend to rotate the different meats but always do one breast of chicken in varying ways for ddil who only eats chicken breast. Try to vary the veg, roasted or creamed. Tomorrow I'm doing cabbage wedges steamed then finished off in the oven with butter and grated cheese with mustard. Plus carrot and parsnip. Always plain or mashed potatoes also. Good thick gravy. Sometimes yorkshires regardless of what type of meat.

grandMattie Sun 07-Feb-16 09:59:53

Emphataically roast beef - on the bone, rib or brisket. Very, very rare, lots of horseradish,crisp Yorkshire puddings, lots of roast veggies and RICE - no roast is any good without rice. DH is appalled by this, so normally we have pots sad.

Hardly ever have a roast now there is only two of us - when DGS comes we have one, when the whole family is here it is harder as DS and her family are all veggies!!!

Yes please - to meeting, though not much of a driver...

carol49cat Sun 07-Feb-16 10:13:23

I love all roasts but we rarely have anything but chicken for just the two of us, not worth doing other meats. But we recently had a holiday in South Australia where it seemed that every pub, cafe and restaurant offered a roast dinner every day - not just Sunday - and we indulged often. Every one was perfect!

Bijou Sun 07-Feb-16 10:23:38

Although I live alone I do roast a joint. Slice it into single portions and freeze in gravy. Well cooked lamb with rosemary and garlic is favourite.