Gransnet forums

Food

Fruit cake

(14 Posts)
Auntieflo Thu 21-Apr-16 22:32:34

I suddenly got the urge hmm to bake a fruit cake, but didn't want the faff of all the rubbing in etc, so googled 'all in one fruit cake'. Of the ones that were suggested, I chose one and made it this afternoon. Only when clearing up, I read where it had originated. Guess where? Gransnet 2012, of course smile. It looks good, it smells good, and so tomorrow I hope it tastes good. Thanks again Gransnet

Teetime Fri 22-Apr-16 08:25:20

Ah sounds delicious I must try that one.

yfrindia Tue 26-Apr-16 13:37:47

Cake!! I simply love it cupcake. I'm going to try it out.

mrsmopp Tue 26-Apr-16 17:43:14

Where's the recipe? Fruit cake is my favorite !

Cath9 Tue 26-Apr-16 19:43:55

Do you know this easy receipe that I sometime use:

Firstly empty a packet of mix fruit into a bowl and add 8 ounces of brown sugar and a quarter of a pint of tea.
Leave to marinade for at least three hours, I usually leave it over night. In the morning add an egg, the put the mixture into a loaf tin and bake for around one and a half hours to two hours, on 120.

mrsmopp Tue 26-Apr-16 19:50:28

Cath9 I have been making that one for years. no fat and only one egg, it is also very economical. It looks nice with glacé cherries and walnuts arranged around the top. Don't forget the SR flour!

Marelli Tue 26-Apr-16 20:00:28

I'm just making one of those just now, Cath9! smile

annsixty Tue 26-Apr-16 20:07:58

Yes I wondered where the flour had gone?
I have been making that tea loaf for 50 years and it never fails.
Has to be spread with butter for me though ?.

Auntieflo Tue 26-Apr-16 22:40:30

For anyone who would like to make this cake, here the recipe I googled and used, and it is delicious. I put in marmalade, but not banana

Yummy all-in-one light fruit cake recipe from granfromafar

CategoryCakes and biscuits recipes
Serves8-10
Prep time5-10 mins
Cook time60-90 mins
gransnetter ratings
Ease of finding ingredients n/a
Ease of cookingn/a
Success with kidsn/a
Success with adultsn/a
Overall Markn/a
Ingredients
250g (8oz) self-raising flour (white or wholemeal)
125g (4oz) sugar
125g (4oz) mixed dried fruit including cherries
1 egg (beaten)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
1 dsp marmalade (optional)
Handy Hint
This can be adapted by adding a mashed, ripe banana, which gives a lovely taste. Can top with flaked almonds before baking if liked. It's a lovely moist cake and freezes well.
Method
1. Mix all ingredients together and transfer to a greased and lined 450g/1lb loaf tin.
2. Bake in middle of pre-heated oven at 180C/Gas Mark 4 for 60 to 90 mins. Test with warmed skewer (I use an old knitting needle!). When it comes out clean, cake is cooked.

Hilltopgran Wed 27-Apr-16 00:50:20

Thanks for this, will try it tomorrow. OH and friends walk every Friday and I usually bake a cake for them to have as an energy boost in the afternoon.

Will try to make with Rye flour as I avoid wheat and so far I have found fruit cakes made with Rye flour work really well.

amyweatherly Wed 25-May-16 08:01:55

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

GandTea Wed 25-May-16 08:15:57

I've never had a GN cake I haven't liked -- thanks Kitcheners smile

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 25-May-16 09:18:44

Very delighted to hear that! For anyone joining us at this juncture we have LOADS of great cake recipes

Best chocolate cakes HERE

Best one bowl cakes HERE

And many, many more via our recipe finder

(We quite like cupcake)

rubylady Thu 26-May-16 04:18:05

I've just had a bit of the rice pudding I made yesterday. I am lactose free so I made it with lactose free milk and cream, lactofree marg, sugar, rice and vanilla essence. Very yummy. Comfort food. smile