Gransnet forums

Food

Does anyone have the secret to perfect rice?

(64 Posts)
BabsAnn Thu 30-Jun-16 15:01:49

Mine is never nice. And yet I go to friends' houses and their is lovely and fluffy. Is it the technique, the brand? The amount of water? What am I doing wrong?!!

Luckygirl Thu 30-Jun-16 15:06:26

Confession time - I buy frozen or microwave rice. It is foolproof.

breeze Thu 30-Jun-16 15:09:37

Used to boil mine in loads of water (never worked) until I watched an episode of Come Dine with me and Indian contestant used the one cup of rice to 'almost' two of water but not quite. Then, when the water was absorbed, she put a cloth over the top of the pan to let if finish off steaming for a short time. I've used the method ever since and it certainly works better than method I used before where it went soggy. Think brand can make a difference too. I used to use U. Bens but now I have to cook for so many I buy big tubs from a wholesalers and that works just as well. But if I've ever run out and used cheaper supermarket brands, they can be more stodgy.

sherish Thu 30-Jun-16 15:11:28

I boil plenty of water put in the rice (not rinsed), boil for 8 minutes then drain. It is always fluffy and done to a turn. Hope this helps.

Stansgran Thu 30-Jun-16 15:15:34

I steam rice in the microwave

crun Thu 30-Jun-16 15:15:48

I can boil rice in water ok, but I'd be interested to know how to get paella/biryani fluffy rather than sticky.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 30-Jun-16 15:20:39

Uncle Ben's two minutes in the microwave stuff. Delicious. Who needs to actually cook?

Joelsnan Thu 30-Jun-16 15:21:20

Buy a rice cooker, dead easy, it switches off when done and keeps the rice warm till needed. You can get big family ones or smaller ones that would still do two or three servings.
Alternatively put one measure of Basmati rice to two measures of cold water in a pan, you can put a knob of butter in if you want, cover, bring to boil and simmer for 6 minutes, take off heat and leave to stand for five minutes without removing the lid. It is important not to lift the lid during the cooking and resting phases, fluff up with a fork and serve.
Good luck

DanniRae Thu 30-Jun-16 15:24:39

You can't beat microwave rice - so easy. Since I discovered it I have never cooked rice any other way.

thatbags Thu 30-Jun-16 15:30:29

Melt some butter in an ovenproof pan.
Add any spices you might like (e.g. cardamom, ground coriander seed, cumin, saffron).
Put dry rice in next and coat with butter.
Add stock (twice the volume of the rice or maybe a bit more).
Bring to the boil.
Put lid on.
Shove in slow to moderate oven for 40 to 60 mins.

breeze Thu 30-Jun-16 15:32:56

To crun. I've got a couple of recipes where you fry other ingredients in oil, add dry rice, stir around, then after moving off heat for a mo, add stock but measurements need to be accurate. I use for rice n peas and a raisin rice I do. Even though I've got paella pans! which I use for faitas and things (mmm, getting hungry!) I've not made paella as not keen on bi valve molluscs! (yes I know you don't have to put them in) but guess the principle would be the same.

breeze Thu 30-Jun-16 15:34:28

Can't wait for the day I can use microwave rice! Usually cooking for 8 people! Need a second mortgage. I will shop in M&S then too. Off in a reverie now. No, I love them all really and I'm sure they'll all move out. One day. And stop coming back. With extras!

MargaretX Thu 30-Jun-16 15:52:07

I use Uncle Bens boil in the bag either 10 minutes or 20 minutes. Works evey time but I always knock 2 minutes off.

Before that a chinese girl told me. put rice in pan and cover with water -just so much as comes to thr top joint of your little finger measuring from the top of the rice.

Falconbird Thu 30-Jun-16 16:31:10

Uncle Ben's Classic Basmati rice - in a microwave or a saucepan, perfect every time.

Kittye Thu 30-Jun-16 16:49:32

1cup of rice to 2 cups of water, bring to the boil then simmer for 10 minutes, by which time rice has absorbed all the water. Perfect every time. ( shouldn't have said that, next time it will all go terribly wrong lol)

LullyDully Thu 30-Jun-16 16:54:07

I do the same. One of rice to 2 of water. Bring to the boil and then very low heat until all the water is.absorbed. Best way to cook rice. First thing I learned when we went to Jamaica in 1978. Beautifully fluffy rice.

crun Thu 30-Jun-16 17:54:07

Breeze, that sounds similar to the recipe I use. The general idea is that you simmer on a very low heat until all the water is absorbed, but toward the end it just tends to get sticky and gooey and then stick to the pan.

I used to make Vesta freeze dried paellas when I was a kid, they were ok, but I don't know why.

pensionpat Thu 30-Jun-16 18:07:53

I also enjoyed Vesta paella and Vesta risotto. Thought I was eating foreign food. How daring I felt..

gettingonabit Thu 30-Jun-16 18:19:52

pensionpat those Vesta meals are my absolute lazy-slattern rice dishes. I just can't get hold of them now, tjoughsad.

I just cook rice in the microwave, two parts water to one part rice, knob of butter and a good splash of turmeric to make it yellow.

glassortwo Thu 30-Jun-16 20:24:13

Ask absent she knows how to cook rice smileshe gave me a great ratio of rice to water... but I forgot hmm

glassortwo Thu 30-Jun-16 20:24:59

Might be 2 to 1

Jalima Thu 30-Jun-16 20:35:34

Uncle Ben's boil in the bag if I feel like doing real cooking

or the sachets - 2 minutes in the microwave

Jalima Thu 30-Jun-16 20:36:22

If I feel really adventurous I do it in the electric steamer

glassortwo Thu 30-Jun-16 20:41:44

Or is it 2.5 to 1 shock

Jalima Thu 30-Jun-16 20:45:51

I always did 2:1 for Basmati rice - rinse the rice thoroughly in a sieve with cold water, then simmer the rice for 15 minutes; turn off the heat and leave with a tight-fitting lid on pan until liquid is all absorbed.