Gransnet forums

Food

Do you eat breakfast?

(69 Posts)
TinyTwo Wed 24-Aug-16 11:54:14

I never have - just never felt hungry in the morning. For some reason though the last few months I'm finding it increasingly difficult to keep going till lunchtime and the biscuit tin is getting a look in much earlier in the day than can be justified.

Perhaps I need to give it go...

NanaandGrampy Wed 24-Aug-16 12:02:08

I'd rather eat breakfast than lunch.

I never eat when I wake , just a coffee but by 9:30/10:00 I'm ready for breakfast. I think it gives me the energy I need to get going.

Greyduster Wed 24-Aug-16 12:20:47

I have to - DH makes me! He's a great believer in breakfast and is constantly banging on about how good prunes are for you! I never feel hungry in the morning, but usually manage to shove down one weetabix and a handful of blueberries as a concession to Himself!

BGB31 Wed 24-Aug-16 12:41:06

I have to have breakfast these days because I'm type 2 diabetic & need to keep my blood sugar as steady as possible.
I'm not really a breakfast lover though & it's a struggle. I was lucky that my partner tended to sort it out but we are now separated so I will have to fend for myself- a challenge but I mustn't let my health suffer.

Cherrytree59 Wed 24-Aug-16 12:50:17

I love my breakfast
Its what gets me up in the morning
Home made muesli with tesco organic large oats.
Chopped figs, dates, sultanas cranberry or blueberries
Then yogurt on top and either chopped banana or strawberries.
This morning I had some melon left over so I chucked that on top
I don't have milk on mine , use fresh orange juice instead

carerof123 Wed 24-Aug-16 12:51:57

i find that i am not hungry first thing in the morning. But i do have my lunch around 12-12.30 as i get peckish then. Also i am usually going out somewhere in the afternoon so need to eat before i go. Having said that sometimes if i am walking to town in the morning i will have a piece of fruit around 10am to sustain me.

ninathenana Wed 24-Aug-16 13:02:38

I too am T2 diabetic so eat breakfast every day. I don't need forcing smile I love cereal of all kinds. H likes is full English at weekends so cooks me scrambled egg on toast.

nanaK54 Wed 24-Aug-16 13:02:46

Yes, always have breakfast usually one Weetabix and a banana.
Have just eaten lunch this was tuna pasta and some home grown tomatoes- very nice it was too!

Greyduster Wed 24-Aug-16 13:05:11

I would say, though, that when we were staying at an hotel in Norfolk last month, I ate breakfast every morning because there was always fish on the menu and I can't resist it - kippers, smoked haddock with a poached egg, kedgeree, smoked salmon and scrambled egg.... Heaven. Then you come home and suddenly cooking it yourself seems far too much like hard work!

DanniRae Wed 24-Aug-16 13:47:24

I have two breakfasts - a slice of toast with my early morning cup of tea and then later, when I feel hungry again, cereals.

maryrose54 Wed 24-Aug-16 13:49:51

I need my breakfast - porridge usually - to get me through the morning working in an infant school. On school holiday at the moment bu stil ave breakfast most mornings.

BBbevan Wed 24-Aug-16 13:55:49

I often do the 5:2 diet. So I mostly eat breakfast except on the two fast days. Then DH and I have found it suits us to eat at lunchtime and not before

NonnaW Wed 24-Aug-16 13:56:29

I can take it or leave it. When working I would happily go through to lunch on only coffee. I now tend to eat some form of (uncooked) oats with fruit on weekdays and not bother at weekends, even though DH would cook me whatever I wanted.

tanith Wed 24-Aug-16 14:08:11

I love breakfast too, porridge or cereal usually shredded wheat with either raspberries or a hand full of sultanas. Once in a blue moon we have a fry up with everything.

whitewave Wed 24-Aug-16 15:22:11

Muesli one day and cooked the next say poached or kippers or scrambled eggs. Always eat breakfast but happy to skip lunch.

granjura Wed 24-Aug-16 15:53:12

always- porridge with seeds and half skimmed milk, half water and a bit of cinnamon and a splash of agave syrup - keeps me going until about 2pm.

Alima Wed 24-Aug-16 16:52:48

I always eat breakfast, fresh fruit, yogurt and a banana. Always feel it prepares my stomach for whatever stodgy stuff follows during the day!
(When I was working I always took my lunch in with me. It never lasted till lunchtime, more like brunch!)

rosesarered Wed 24-Aug-16 17:10:28

Always! Not a great deal of it though, a slice of wholemeal toast with butter and marmalade and a really big mug of tea with a spoonful of honey in it, and a few grapes.In Winter, quite often a dish of porridge.

Newquay Wed 24-Aug-16 17:31:52

Oh yes, a bowl of porridge with a small spoon of brown sugar or honey followed by bowl of fruit-usually something like prunes, blueberries and a satsuma.
DD1 never liked breakfast and had to coaxed before school, now in her forties and doesn't eat breakfast at all-says it makes her feel sick!

grannymouse303 Fri 26-Aug-16 15:27:18

I've always been a breakfast hater. I have to force myself to eat in the morning because I don't feel like eating until midday.

gettingonabit Fri 26-Aug-16 15:29:06

Nope. I save eating til later. Starving by 1.

Linsco56 Fri 26-Aug-16 16:52:27

I really can't face even looking at food in the morning but will have a snack around lunchtime and dinner around 6pm (no pud though!).

I'm out of action at this moment so DH (worst cook ever!) is making dinner tonight...God help me!

baubles Fri 26-Aug-16 17:09:46

I have to have my coffee first. Two small cups made from freshly ground beans. While I'm enjoying that I'll prepare my breakfast of full fat Greek yoghurt with raspberries, blueberries and whatever other berries are in the fridge, a handful of granola and a dollop of thick fresh cream. It has to be left to come to room temperature though, can't stand chilled food.

Treebee Fri 26-Aug-16 19:49:04

Not keen on breakfast but I need something to keep me regular. I find porridge does the trick and it slips down easily. In summer I add berries from the garden.
I boggle at the amount people eat for breakfast when we stay in a hotel. Don't know how they do it!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Aug-16 19:53:21

It's different in a hotel! You're paying for it for one thing. grin

And it saves on buying lunch.