Gransnet forums

Food

Does anyone have a healthy option....

(29 Posts)
ninathenana Sun 25-Sep-16 18:57:23

Tomato sauce recipe please.
I have looked on line but they all seem to have at least half a teaspoon of sugar added.

Ana Sun 25-Sep-16 18:59:28

Sorry to sound thick, but couldn't you just leave out the sugar...? confused

janeainsworth Sun 25-Sep-16 19:05:56

In the scheme of things half a teaspoon of sugar doesn't really matter anyway. It's only about 4 grams, if that.
If you divide it by the number of servings of sauce, it's even less significant. Think of it as seasoning. I think a little added sugar brings out the natural flavour of the tomatoes.
Healthy eating is all very well but food has to taste nice too.

ninathenana Sun 25-Sep-16 19:06:07

Yes I did think that Ana smile but not sure how it would affect the taste.
I guess I won't know until I try

grannylyn65 Sun 25-Sep-16 19:12:58

I use sweetner

kittylester Sun 25-Sep-16 19:18:05

I'm with jane, tomatoes always benefit from a little sugar!

Bellanonna Sun 25-Sep-16 19:33:58

I've never used it, but I thought it was meant to counteract any tartness ?

downtoearth Sun 25-Sep-16 21:22:33

I use low calorie sweetener

thatbags Sun 25-Sep-16 22:06:55

There isn't anything unhealthy about a bit of sugar in one's diet.

NotTooOld Sun 25-Sep-16 22:32:47

Don't ask me about healthy options. I've just eaten the chocolate biscuit bits that I bought for the DGC in the Summer hols and did not hand over.

thatbags Sun 25-Sep-16 22:38:56

Chuckle McChuckle, NTO grin

G'night all moon

ninathenana Mon 26-Sep-16 09:12:02

thatbags for "healthy" read low calorie/weight loss
I know a little sugar does no harm smile

Teetime Mon 26-Sep-16 09:15:56

I don't put sugar in as I think tomatoes have a naturally sweet taste - I put chilli sauce and a dash of Worcestershire.

Maranta Mon 26-Sep-16 09:50:57

A slug of red wine improves it I think. ?

Parsleywin Mon 26-Sep-16 10:26:17

Use a little bit of butter stirred in towards the end of cooking the sauce - as suggested yonks ago by either Delia or Nigella, can't remember which!

JessM Mon 26-Sep-16 10:37:49

Are we talking ketchup or pasta?
If pasta I would never think of adding sugar. Use herbs, wine, onions etc. There is quite a bit of natural sugar in the veg. Carrots are quite sweet and will make space taste sweeter - but they do take a long time to cook.

Cosafina Mon 26-Sep-16 10:44:19

I have NEVER added sugar to a tomato sauce and wouldn't dream of doing so.
If you mean a tomato sauce for pasta then just fry onions and garlic and add in a tin of tomatoes and bit of tomato paste (or use chopped up fresh tomatoes)

Youngeil Mon 26-Sep-16 11:02:36

Even for pasta sauce a little sugar does enhance the flavour of the tomatoes and isn't going to hurt you at all - unless you eat lots of other sugary things.

Daisygirl Mon 26-Sep-16 11:16:56

I always add a little bit of tomato ketchup if the tomatoes are a bit acidic - but only a little bit

tigger Mon 26-Sep-16 11:16:56

Tomatoes can be bitter, so a little sugar helps.

GrannyGrum Mon 26-Sep-16 11:26:40

To get maximum sweetness out of the tomatoes without using sugar, they need to be reduced down. This can either be done by slow roasting in the oven or simmered long and slow on the hob. Use very ripe fresh toms or tinned. I concocted this sugar & salt free tomato ketchup recipe for GGD, then 8m, and we all loved it. 3 tomatoes, peeled & quartered, 1/2 red pepper, cut into flat pieces, 1 peeled garlic clove. Roast above on baking tray with a little olive oil at 200C fan for 10/15 mins. Put through mouli or seive. Add 1 tablespoon of tomato puree and a little balsamic vinegar to taste. For a pasta sauce, simply simmer a tin of tomatoes in a pan with a glug of olive oil and clove of garlic chopped or crushed. You can also add a little white wine, if there's a bottle open and dried oregano. Cook gently on the hob for at least 20-30 mins until the tomatoes have broken down and the sauce is thick and rich. Add salt & pepper to taste and some shredded fresh basil if you have some to hand. Enjoy!

ninathenana Mon 26-Sep-16 12:42:08

JessM It was intended to liven up roast chicken for D who is following slimming world.

Kim19 Mon 26-Sep-16 14:31:49

Ever thought of replacing it with beetroot ketchup? Delicious!

janeainsworth Mon 26-Sep-16 14:34:00

<Pedant alert> If you add wine or balsamic vinegar, you are adding sugar.

Daddima Mon 26-Sep-16 14:41:17

I always add sugar to anything with tomatoes in it. A wee teaspoonful won't do much harm.