Gransnet forums

Gardening

Spring!

(38 Posts)
Teetime Sun 01-Mar-15 09:44:26

Hooray is 1st March- meteorological Spring according to the weather men has begun! Yesterday we did our first trip of the year to the Garden Centre which was buzzing with people. It's out in the Rutland countryside which looked beautiful and there were daffodils everywhere- thank heavens I hate the winter and long to see the flowers blooming in the garden.flowers

janerowena Sun 01-Mar-15 10:55:46

Spring has Sprung! It's very Springy here. I'm debating an illicit trip to the GC today too. Illicit because I still haven't planted out loads of stuff I bought last Autumn....

loopylou Sun 01-Mar-15 10:58:01

Hopefully will head for Dyrham Park this afternoon, and hope we'll see the deer. Coffee shop stop then brisk meandering walk back to the car grin

ffinnochio Sun 01-Mar-15 11:08:24

Violets are springing up all over our grass. Lovely to see. smile

merlotgran Sun 01-Mar-15 11:09:27

It's very windy here but I'm determined to do something outside just to celebrate the end of winter.

Like janer I have stuff in pots that I bought in a plant sale last autumn and then left outside the greenhouse.

I've started wearing calf support stretchy thingies under my jeans. Certainly helps prevent that awful dull ache in my legs I used to get which took the enjoyment out of gardening.

Gardeners World is back on Friday.....HURRAH!!

janerowena Sun 01-Mar-15 11:12:53

Supports here too! Ankle ones as well, I'm very good at twisting ankles and knees in dug out uneven soil.

Accuweather says the wind will ease off a bit this afternoon here, I shall find a sheltered spot for some pruning until then.

tanith Sun 01-Mar-15 12:04:54

I have crocus flowering and my pink Hellebore is so pretty... OH is off with both our daughters to the Cup Final at Wembley later so I will be billy no mates I hope the sun stays with me and I too will do a little pruning out of the wind..

Galen Sun 01-Mar-15 12:16:16

Clump of beautiful purple crocuses have suddenly appeared and two miniature daffodils have opened!stdavids

Hi there you lot a cross he Bristol Channel! stdavids

kittylester Sun 01-Mar-15 12:40:14

I've just been out refilling the bird feeders and looking at what's going on! There is areal biting wind though so, having looked, I came back in!

annodomini Sun 01-Mar-15 12:55:56

The birds are very busy at the seed feeders. Yesterday I looked out and saw a pair of bullfinches - resplendent male and restrained female - one on either side, looking straight at me. Why do I never have a camera or the phone on hand when I need it? Even the chaffinch, which RSPB say doesn't normally frequent bird feeders, has taken to hovering beside the seed feeder and grabbing a grain. Interesting technique!

Galen Sun 01-Mar-15 13:02:46

My robin does that. I reckon he thinks he's a humming bird!

annodomini Sun 01-Mar-15 13:39:34

My robin was watching the chaffinch today - probably getting ideas!

ninathenana Sun 01-Mar-15 22:13:59

We've had crocuses and snowdrops out for a week or two. Our daffs are in bud but next-doors are half open. DH is hoping to give the grass it's first cut this week.
Hooray for spring !

hildajenniJ Sun 01-Mar-15 22:59:28

Spring, what spring?
Have you seen the weather forecast. We have been promised SNOW for tomorrow. That being said, we have snowdrops and crocuses out in the garden, and the little tete a tete daffodils are not far from blooming. It's going to be blooming cold though!!! stdavids

granjo39 Sun 01-Mar-15 23:34:56

Daisies are flowering in the grass verge behind my hedge.

tanith Fri 06-Mar-15 14:31:26

I've just spent a fab 2hrs poking around the garden followed by the Robin , its so nice the sun is shining and the birds are singing I didn't need a coat. I have some pots full of yellow crocus they brighten up the patio no end, I've just massacred a large Hebe it was getting way to big so I've hacked it right down to 3' from the ground I'm not bothered if it doesn't recover, next job will be a Pyracantha that has got too tall I hate having to prune it as I need armour and I always manage to stab myself..
I wonder if the lawn will dry out enough to cut it in the next few nice days...

merlotgran Fri 06-Mar-15 14:40:40

Washing out on the line for the first time this year and some tidying up on the borders started. Things got neglected last year due to various problems so I feel better now I've finally made a start.

Coolgran65 Fri 06-Mar-15 14:53:37

Washing on the line and dry.
Still have a rose in bloom....or I did dgs 7 and dgs 4 have just put the petals into the bird bath to make it look pretty. There are also some purple petals in the bird bath....... I have nothing purple in bloom and I'm surreptitiously looking at neighbours' gardens to see where they've come from. ??

Hostas are peeping up, daffs and hyacinths are in bud. My massive fern is brown and crispy with little new shoots underneath unveiling like tiny seahorses.

Camelia has big fat buds and little random pansy plants are popping up from the natural seedlings of last year's plants. I'll expect the same from last year's nastursiums.

Love this time of year.

Anya Fri 06-Mar-15 15:21:47

Will venture into the potting shed this week and evict the resident insect life from my plant pots. Time to get some of those vegetable seeds in.

Growing lots of kale this year. Anyone tried cooking crispy kale in the oven. Yummy!

Anne58 Fri 06-Mar-15 15:24:12

Driving along the lanes there are still some wild daffodils out, plus drifts of snowdrops and the primroses are starting to flower!

loopylou Fri 06-Mar-15 15:32:50

Have washing drying on the line, spent a lovely couple of hours weeding and trimming perennials back, moved and replenished the bird feeder and am now enjoying a cuppa.
Loads of bulbs are well up, should have hyacinths out next week. Pulmonariias are already flowering and bumble bees have come out of hibernation.
Lovely to have sunshine too! grin

hildajenniJ Fri 06-Mar-15 15:57:22

Lovely sunshine this afternoon, a bit windy though. The little daffodils are flowering now, and I have seen some lambs in the fields. Spring is definitely on the way. smile

rubylady Fri 06-Mar-15 21:00:07

Yeah, Monty and Nigel are back! Wonderful, it's happy days from here on in. My fence gets fixed next Friday and then I'm off, garden centre, planting what I have brought with me from the old house and owning my new garden. Yes! Come on chest, start getting better.

On Loose Women, they had a pic sent in of the first lamb I have seen or heard of for this year. Isn't nature wonderful how it regenerates us every year? I couldn't live in a country where we didn't have seasons. We might have problems in our country but we are very lucky in other ways too. smile

merlotgran Fri 06-Mar-15 21:13:58

Looking forward to seeing how Monty's garden evolves now he's drastically reduced the height of those bloody hedges.

Hope you soon feel garden fit, ruby

rubylady Sat 07-Mar-15 00:25:14

Thank you merlot I've just ordered a humidifier from Amazon and intend to put some oils on it to help the breathing. Had a crackling sound on left side earlier so burnt some olbas oil. I will go back to GP if not better next week. smile

I am so excited though that GW is back. Monty suffers with depression over winter and so it is lovely to see him back in his garden and doing again. I too am looking forward to seeing how he develops his garden with a better outlook after cutting the hedges down. Even just seeing the primroses peeping out at us lightens the soul. And the day is getting longer, lighter sooner in a morning and gone six by the time night is coming. It's all good. smile flowers