Gransnet forums

Gardening

Garlic

(18 Posts)
blacksmith Mon 20-Oct-14 17:03:45

Can anyone tell me when the best time to plant Garlic is please ?

Allotmenteer Mon 20-Oct-14 17:12:47

Hi, I planted mine last week, hoping that we won't have a frost for a while. grin

whenim64 Mon 20-Oct-14 17:14:29

I've planted mine this last weekend.

merlotgran Mon 20-Oct-14 17:21:47

Depends on the variety. Both hardneck and softneck types can be planted in autumn or spring and the planting times should be stated on the bag. I have just planted Elephant garlic and Early Purple Wight.

Last year I planted Solent Wight in the spring (as recommended) but they didn't make a good size so will try a different variety next year.

blacksmith Mon 20-Oct-14 17:33:38

Thanks all for reply. My first question. I will planting mine tomorrow. I've got lots more gardening questions as I am very new to gardening ut really enjoy.

pompa Mon 20-Oct-14 17:34:02

Now is good, I believe it needs a period of cold to grow properly.

Anya Mon 20-Oct-14 22:30:02

Yes, planted a soft-necked, hard-necked and elephant garlic last week.
Merlot this year has been a poor year for garlic, so it may not just be the species you planted. We usually harvest enough to last us till the next crop is ready. This year I've had to buy shop garlic alread and it's only October.

merlotgran Mon 20-Oct-14 22:35:45

I've just bought some shop garlic as well, Anya.

Yes, it was a poor year thanks to rust. Never mind....There's always next year.

Anya Mon 20-Oct-14 22:51:19

Good year for pumpkins though. I can't lift mine they're so heavy hmm

jamsidedown Mon 20-Oct-14 23:19:16

Have been looking in the garden centres but haven't managed to find any garlic yet - just the start of -sigh- grottos. Not sure why some of these places call themselves "garden" centres when so little is dedicated to actual gardening. Should be knick knack centres smile

pompa Tue 21-Oct-14 06:57:10

Garden centre has garlic in stock right now, just find a better garden centre. Otherwise order on-line and you will have it in a few days.

Anya Tue 21-Oct-14 07:19:41

Yes, go online. Much more choice and information.

merlotgran Tue 21-Oct-14 10:22:37

www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/

This is a great site for garlic lovers and you can buy seed from them. I'm certainly going to have a go at their rust prevention idea.

jamsidedown Tue 21-Oct-14 11:59:43

merlotgran that website looks interesting, thanks for the link. smile

merlotgran Tue 21-Oct-14 12:28:38

I can recommend their book, 'The Mighty Bulb', as a Christmas present for any garlic loving friends or family.

jamsidedown Tue 21-Oct-14 16:16:35

Bingo! Have tracked down the elusive garlic stock and have bought Christo, a soft neck variety. What is everyone else growing? Does anyone grow the hard neck varieties and, if so, what are the benefits? I have an allotment on sandy soil. Also, does anyone grow elephant garlic and is it good?

pompa Tue 21-Oct-14 16:26:05

I grow elephant garlic, very large mild bulbs that are perfect for roasting, one of our favorites.

Anya Thu 23-Oct-14 07:32:08

I grow all three this will explain the differences etc