Gransnet forums

Gardening

cyclamen

(12 Posts)
grizelda Sun 23-Nov-14 13:33:11

My whole garden is being invaded by cyclamen. I have tried all kinds of weed killer with no success. If anyone tells me to dig them up and give to other people again I shall feel like screaming. Several neighbours have filled up their buckets already. Digging them up does not help - they just come up everywhere else. Even fuchsias and phlox have been attacked at root level.

janerowena Sun 23-Nov-14 13:43:57

I wish I had your problem. How dry is your garden, and does it get much shade?

grizelda Sun 23-Nov-14 16:33:41

I'm on gravel soil and live in the "sunny south" so the cyclamen are behaving quite out of character.

janerowena Sun 23-Nov-14 16:40:50

The gravel soil is actually very good. I know they do well in dry shade, but as a gardener I often found that they did extraordinarily well at the foot of west-facing walls. So I looked them up (many years ago now) and discovered that they are from the Mediterranean, Palestine, Syria, Israel, Greece, Turkey, Tunisia and so on. So you are giving them absolutely ideal conditions in which to grow. They will be setting seed from every flower. So your only solution is to pick every flower as it occurs whilst continuing to pull up every little tendril as you see it in the gravel. I have a gravel path, the only place in which it grows happily and the last place in which I want it to be. I pull them all up and transplant them, and lose nearly all of them. All of the original corms I bought with me have died. They are determined to stay in the gravel.

rosesarered Sun 23-Nov-14 16:42:21

I love them, wish I had this problem.

merlotgran Sun 23-Nov-14 16:45:49

I love them too. They seem to do quite well on our dry soil but suffer from weed competition......nettles angry

tiggypiro Sun 23-Nov-14 17:18:00

I too wish I had the same problem.
After years of trying to get Verbena Bonasaris (sp ?) to grow in my garden I at last managed it only for it to seed all over a gravel path. I just do a detour.

annodomini Sun 23-Nov-14 18:06:12

I'd welcome some of your cyclamen in my gravel bed.

NfkDumpling Sun 23-Nov-14 18:15:06

They prefer to self seed into the lawn and the cracks in the patio in my garden, and not in the wild bits where I planted them. I spend a long time moving them each year and am slowly winning.

Picking off the seed heads would be the only way to get rid of them I would think.

grizelda Mon 24-Nov-14 18:07:47

Thanks, all. Glad I'm not the only one. My lawn is also smothered in them, also sprouting out from under the brick borders. I tried bark chippings 6" deep on one part, then I was told they would really love those conditions. It's when they hide among my other plants and when I try to dig them out the corms are massive. As I have a quarter-acre garden you can imagine my problem. My daughter's taken to calling them triffids when she sees them appearing. I read somewhere that ants spread the seeds because they like the sugar.

loopylou Tue 25-Nov-14 11:53:38

Would love them to invade my garden! I have 2 cyclamen planted 10 years ago, no sign of them spreading........

mrsmopp Sat 29-Nov-14 22:55:36

Can I swap your cyclamen for my dandelions please? I have lots.
See, I am asking nicely.....