Gransnet forums

Gardening

cast iron chiminea

(11 Posts)
jo1book Sat 25-Apr-15 10:53:28

I black-lead mine and cover in winter, even so it gets rusty. I have heard of a product that seals from rust but do not know what this product is called. Need advice.

Elegran Sat 25-Apr-15 11:29:43

If the cover doesn't allow air to circulate, there will be condensation and dampness inside it. Someone proved once that cars kept in garages rusted more than ones which stood outside in the rain and dried off when it stopped!

You had to keep renewing blacklead to keep a cast-iron range looking good (my mother's hated job first thing in the morning when she started work) so I assume the effect wears off. Is it possible than a layer of grease of some kind would keep out water better than blacklead?

janerowena Sat 25-Apr-15 12:21:44

Hammerite paint? I keep an ancient cast iron stove instead of a chiminea in my garden, and painted it with hammerite. Regular fires keep the insides ok. In the winter months I pop a heavy small slab over the chimney to stop rain going inside and sitting in it.

jo1book Mon 27-Apr-15 10:04:41

Do you get any flaking with Hammerite, Janerowena?

janerowena Mon 27-Apr-15 10:55:15

No, as long as you go over the surface with a wire brush first if there are some big flakes already.

Ceesnan Mon 27-Apr-15 12:46:27

I used Hammerite on mine about four years ago as it was starting to rust quite badly. It still looks as good as the day I painted it - wonderful stuff!

jo1book Mon 27-Apr-15 12:59:26

There seems to be a lot of Hammerite on ebay. Which one do I buy for a matt finish?

janerowena Mon 27-Apr-15 17:11:22

I think maybe this is what you should use.

www.kentblaxill.co.uk/buy-online/hammerite/barbecue-paint-matt-finish-aerosol

However, none of their paints are exactly shiny. Avoid the 'hammered' finishes. They are more of a silk finish.

janerowena Mon 27-Apr-15 17:14:54

That was a bit misleading! They do 'smooth'. That isn't desperately shiny. They do 'silk', that is slightly less shiny. then there is 'hammered', which looks dimpled all over. Then there are the matt sprays. I think black only.

Hold on

www.hammerite.co.uk/products/index.jsp

Just to confuse you more. there is a range of derusting stuff but I wouldn't bother unless it's really bad.

jo1book Tue 28-Apr-15 09:14:06

Most grateful for your help, janerowens; will get the kentblaxhill on to-day. You need to light one to sit out this week; so cold in the garden!

vampirequeen Tue 28-Apr-15 09:23:10

We use Hammerite heat proof paint. Just give it a spray over every so often.