Gransnet forums

Gardening

Identify this plant please

(29 Posts)
shysal Fri 04-Sep-15 08:12:28

I have been looking in surrounding gardens for ideas for colour at this time of year. What is this one called pleased? I am sure I know but having a senior moment. Thanks.

mamaPow5 Fri 04-Sep-15 08:19:59

Think this could be a Japanese anemometer ? Others will know better than I though !

mamaPow5 Fri 04-Sep-15 08:20:50

Anemome !��

Greyduster Fri 04-Sep-15 08:25:08

Certainly looks like a Japanese anemone (also known as windflowers). Is it a singl cup flower? Difficult to see from the photo. I love windflowers but they won't grow for me!

Elegran Fri 04-Sep-15 08:32:52

The flowers are rather fuzzy in the photo, but the leaves look to me like Japanese anemones.

thatbags Fri 04-Sep-15 08:36:32

Looks like Japanese anemones to me too.

Nelliemoser Fri 04-Sep-15 08:38:39

mamaPow5 If the Japanese anemone is also called a windflower then your "anemometer" should be useful in measuring how fast it's blowing.

Anya Fri 04-Sep-15 08:40:12

Yes, agree a Japonese anemone. This is quite easy to grow if it likes the soil and position unlike ordinary woodland anemones.

Iam64 Fri 04-Sep-15 08:46:44

Yes, a Japanese anemone - they're beautiful but invasive. I've just dug several out in an attempt to stop them colonising the entire garden. They're going down the road to youngest daughter's currently neglected garden.

chelseababy Fri 04-Sep-15 09:14:36

Yes agree. Can also get white ones

granjura Fri 04-Sep-15 09:39:03

Iam64- send them here next time- I would just love to have more. I love them- not in flower yet up here in t'mountains.

annodomini Fri 04-Sep-15 10:46:30

They flourish in my sister's garden in Scotland but she gave me some roots which I managed to kill. What's the opposite of treen fingers?

shysal Fri 04-Sep-15 11:30:51

Many thanks, ladies. I thought they looked anemone-like. Sorry about the quality of the picture from my phone. I was nervous about being caught on somebodies drive so had hand shake! On googling I see that some varieties are invasive and some not. I actually want them to spread, in a wildish area in the communal car park for my row of houses. Will try a garden centre this afternoon, failing that, Ebay.

granjura Fri 04-Sep-15 12:40:12

Green fingers perhaps anno ;)

mine come from sil and bil's garden in Surrey- but they truly do not like being moved and take a long time to establish. I'd love some more though.

janeainsworth Fri 04-Sep-15 12:43:18

They aren't invasive in my garden, shysal. A friend gave me a clump years ago and they have just sat there, gradually getting bigger and occasionally seeding themselves.
Nothing like the dreaded alchemilla mollis wink

Iam64 Fri 04-Sep-15 12:51:59

Isn't that interesting, that these plants flourish in some gardens and not in others. I can't grow lupins (for example) so I grow them in pots. Hosta's do brilliantly but I tend to have a lot in pots with copper round in an attempt to stop the slugs n snails eating out every evening.

janerowena Fri 04-Sep-15 12:59:39

It depends on your soil, it's harder for them to seed in soggy areas. They quite like dry partial shade, so are very useful in shadier areas that other flowers wouldn't like. As you can see from the photo, they are very happy in a very dry spot at the base of a wall.

You can also get them in mauve, but those are far rarer. The smaller varieties aren't as rampant.

annodomini Fri 04-Sep-15 13:12:51

Funny, I posted a correction to that 'treen fingers' and it has disappeared. Of course I meant what's the opposite of GREEN fingers?

annodomini Fri 04-Sep-15 13:15:07

I have a huge hosta which gets bigger every year and has lovely hyacinth-blue flower spikes. The slugs and snails don't have much luck with it, possibly because it's just too big.

Iam64 Fri 04-Sep-15 13:40:27

anno - is it a triffid?

janerowena - my garden isn't dry (north west Uk, we don't do dry). The soil was clay from 4" down when we moved in but I've worked hard adding compost and clay breaker so it's much improved. Do they change colour? I thought I'd put a white one in last year but only have pink.

merlotgran Fri 04-Sep-15 14:08:56

They're fairly invasive in my garden (alkaline soil) I made the mistake of planting them alongside a path because they flop all over the place and need a lot of staking. I dug some out and moved them to a better position where they're supported by other plants but the blighters are difficult to remove completely.

shysal Fri 04-Sep-15 15:19:06

janeainsworth, I have Alchemilla Mollis coming up in all sorts of places, including in my pots containing herbs. I actually quite like it within reason, especially after rain, when the droplets form 'jewels' on the leaves. My next door neighbour does nothing at all to her garden and it has overtaken the whole plot! I tried to split the main plant and took it to DD's to fill some gaps, but needless to say it died. Sod's Law!

shysal Fri 04-Sep-15 15:22:57

I nipped to the Plant Centre up the road and got 2 pink and 1 white Japanese Anemones, so hope they thrive.

I hate that I have difficulty remembering plant names these days, an age thing I suspect. sad

janeainsworth Fri 04-Sep-15 16:50:55

I like the alchemilla mollis really shysal. I think the greyish leaves and pale yellow flowers are a lovely foil for things like hardy geraniums.
It just took me too long to work out that it's best to cut the flowers off before they set seed everywhere!
I hope your Japanese anemones do well!

loopylou Fri 04-Sep-15 17:05:20

I chop back my alchemila mollis as soon as the flowers start going over, then you get a neat little mound growing back. It's even seeded itself in the lawn hmm