Gransnet forums

Gardening

Help - what is going on in my garden?

(13 Posts)
kittylester Thu 05-May-16 20:51:54

Some of my plants are becoming 'varigated'. Some established plants, in different parts of the garden, are losing colour. Has anyone any ideas why? .

We had been asked to do the village Open Gardens but had declined this year - luckily - but have promised to do so next year so please help!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 05-May-16 20:52:41

Got cold?

MiniMouse Thu 05-May-16 21:15:23

Mineral deficiency? Waterlogged?

merlotgran Thu 05-May-16 21:20:56

I'd go for mineral defiency as well. If you have established perennials they may need dividing and re-planting to prevent them losing vigour.

kittylester Thu 05-May-16 21:45:54

Thank you for your replies. None of the plants are very old and are in different parts of the garden but if it is mineral depletion, how would I put minerals back in to the soil? Can you tell that I'm a natural gardener?

Nelliemoser Thu 05-May-16 22:21:36

Lots of questions come to mind, have a look at these sites.

www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/environmental/leaves-turning-reddish-purple.htm

www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=456

janeainsworth Thu 05-May-16 22:41:33

Which plants are losing colour kitty?
I have to feed my rhododendrons and camellias with Miracid to keep the soil sufficiently acid, or the leaves start going yellow.

Everything else gets lots of compost & the roses get rose food.

rosesarered Thu 05-May-16 22:49:55

Do you mean really variagated kitty or just yellowing?Maybe need iron? there are lots of feeds in garden centres for this purpose.

kittylester Fri 06-May-16 06:46:23

Thanks for your replies. The plants affected are a sedum, a few Japanese anemones, some albums, bachelor's buttons.

We do put compost over the beds and fork it in. The wild garlic and valerian are unaffected!angry

Minty Fri 06-May-16 06:51:17

it could be the excessive rain we have had, it washes nutrients away. I suggest you give them all a good feed.

janeainsworth Fri 06-May-16 10:14:56

I had to google bachelor's buttons kitty but I have to say that those, and sedums, are apparently indestructible in my garden shock

I would take merlot's advice and divide them and put some in pots so you can monitor them and see if the new compost you put them in helps at all.

kittylester Fri 06-May-16 11:38:46

Proof read kitty.

Alliums not albums (all except the flipping wild garlic!!)

I am going to try feeding them and will divide if that doesn't work - seems like less effort that way round. grin

Thank you for all your help. flowers

Nelliemoser Fri 06-May-16 19:50:34

I am on an acid sandy soil and sedums and Rhodos camellis do well here. Where I have seen wild garlic growing in abundance has been in the limestone areas of the Peak District. I suspect you are on limey soil.