Gransnet forums

Gardening

Poinsettia advice needed

(17 Posts)
Jayh Mon 30-May-16 18:58:39

For the first time ever, my Christmas poinsettia has survived and is growing into a healthy, bushy plant. Do any of you Gransnet gardeners have any advice for keeping it healthy and hopefully alive until next Christmas? It sits on a sunny window ledge and I am feeding it on baby bio.

grannylyn65 Mon 30-May-16 19:08:43

Lucky you, they take one look at my house and die!!!

Jayh Mon 30-May-16 19:11:08

Yes, me too. I throw out the crispy remains with the tree. However, this one cost £5 from Lidl and was a big bigger than my usual purchase. I am bemused by its survival.

cornergran Mon 30-May-16 19:42:28

For the very first time ours flourished until Easter. No idea how or why. Murder was then committed and it went into the compost when the Easter eggs arrived. blush. It just felt wrong to still have it about.

grannylyn65 Mon 30-May-16 19:44:48

shock

annodomini Mon 30-May-16 20:11:22

Poinsettias are tropical/sub-tropical plants. They need equal hours of daylight and darkness to flourish and produce the red bracts that make them so popular at Christmas. When I lived almost on the Equator, I had a huge one in my garden - taller than me - which needed no encouragement. I could cut bits off it, stick them in the ground and they would grow. So, Jayh, you can keep it alive and green, but I think you are doomed to disappointment if you want it to bloom. It's so much easier to buy a new one each Christmas. By the way, if you break or cut off any twigs, don't touch the white sap - it;s very corrosive and irritant.

dramatictessa Mon 30-May-16 20:37:01

Mine's survived too, altogether it's not looking particularly healthy. I just repotted it and broke off most of the seeds/fruits. Got some sap on my hands but they seem to be okay, annosmile

Greenfinch Mon 30-May-16 21:36:05

Mine is doing very well and the leaves began to turn red two months ago.The leaves are very much smaller than the original but still very pretty.I keep it on the kitchen window ledge and it gets the early morning sun but shade for the rest of the day.I think the steamy atmosphere of the kitchen helps.

sherish Tue 31-May-16 07:30:07

Mine too has survived. This is also a first for me. They usually last over Christmas then wither bit the one I have is mainly green with only a few red bracts left. I'm just so glad it's survived this long considering it only gets water.

Badenkate Tue 31-May-16 08:36:36

If they get 'leggy', or look a bit sad, then cut them right back. You have to be brave because you can leave them without leaves (although I usually leave one just in case!), put the 'stump' somewhere sunny and you will soon get a lot of little shoots. I didn't believe it the first time I did it, but it really works

Jayh Tue 31-May-16 08:54:44

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I will try to keep it going for as long as possible and see what happens next. ?

Juliette Tue 31-May-16 09:00:02

Not the most glamorous but hanging on in there.

Jayh Tue 31-May-16 09:12:20

Lots of greenery, but hey, it is thriving.

Badenkate Tue 31-May-16 10:51:49

Here's a poinsettia I cut right back about 3 months ago. It's lovely and healthy as you can see

grannyactivist Tue 31-May-16 11:16:16

Well done you lot - love the photo evidence. smile I bought one for my mother in law from the Lidl four years ago and with her magic green fingers she just keeps it going. Me? I can barely get them to survive until after C*******s.hmm

dramatictessa Tue 31-May-16 11:19:12

Does it matter when you cut them back, badenkate?

Badenkate Tue 31-May-16 11:39:56

Don't think so unless you want it to go red for Christmas. I've cut one back in the autumn and this one back early spring and they've both done OK