Gransnet forums

Gardening

Are you a gnome lover or hater?

(57 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Sat 25-Jun-16 16:00:39

Grampy has been out in the garden catching up on everything after our long holiday .

We have a number of ' interesting' items in our garden including a football shirt wearing gnome, a gift from our little ones for Grampy!

He seems indestructible !! We have a little toadstool house tucked in a bush, a frog climbing the big tree at the bottom of the garden and dotted about a squirrel, a hedgehog and a robin. I can live with all those but am contemplating decapitating the gnome with the strimmer !!

Would that be soooooo wrong ? Is there a penalty for Gnomicide ?

Suggestions welcome smile

Teetime Sat 25-Jun-16 16:07:12

Wee'lll I have a bronze coloured life metal sized heron (Henry), a goldy looking pheasant (Percy) who ist either side of a cross legged Budhha and a golfing gnome the grandchildren bought DH that we both hide behind a tree. Not sure what to say really - I'm quite partial to a garden ornament or two- I expect someone will pop up soon on here and tell me I have no taste, am thick and need my head kicking in!! smile

grannylyn65 Sat 25-Jun-16 16:07:18

'Gnomore the fool '!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Jun-16 16:08:21

I love my gnome. He has a certain classiness. Hate other people's.

Charleygirl Sat 25-Jun-16 16:11:23

Being a total snob I like them if they are humorous looking and have been well made. I do not like some of the garish monstrosities I have seen at times. I would not decapitate it, if you really feel that there is no place for that gnome in your garden, maybe you could donate it to a charity shop?

NanaandGrampy Sat 25-Jun-16 16:12:09

I love the sound of your heron Teetime sounds like we have a matching pair of gnomes.....would you like mine she asks innocently??? smile you could start a team !

NanaandGrampy Sat 25-Jun-16 16:13:06

It's ok Charley I offered him to Teetime!

Problem solved grin

Ana Sat 25-Jun-16 16:14:42

I feel the same way as you do, Charlegirl. I do dislike the vulgar ones though, seem to have no sense of humour where they're concerned!

rosesarered Sat 25-Jun-16 16:15:55

Maybe put the gnome in the garden when the children are coming for a visit,otherwise it lives in the shed?

Charleygirl Sat 25-Jun-16 16:17:24

I am so pleased that gnome has found a home where he will be loved and cared for- decapitation was not really the answer. Maybe given time there will be baby herons?

Synonymous Sat 25-Jun-16 16:21:10

The odd one in someone else's garden is ok but just don't let them outnumber you. They seem to breed in some gardens! shock
I can just see someone not too far from me practising his golf swing and anything in the vicinity would be 'gnomore'. hmmI am assured that isn't against the law if it belongs to you. grin

tanith Sat 25-Jun-16 16:58:45

I have a frog, a cat my Mum gave me 25yrs ago and a white lady that ex-mil gave me hidden in a corner cos I don't have the heart to get rid of it and two baby rabbits my GD put in the little garden she built for herself.
If you like gnomes then that's ok but I don't want them in my garden thanks.

Auntieflo Sat 25-Jun-16 17:06:41

G. guarding
N. naturally
O. over
M. mother
E. earth

Love your gnome

vampirequeen Sat 25-Jun-16 17:22:35

I love gnomes. The DVLA insist that a campervan must have decals so we've decided to call her the Gnomemobile and have gnomes decorating her.

oldgoat Sat 25-Jun-16 17:27:06

Have you just made that up vampirequeen?

Badenkate Sat 25-Jun-16 17:30:53

I did see a picture once of a gnome lying face down in the garden with a knife sticking out of its back. I'd like that one wink

Ana Sat 25-Jun-16 17:32:51

shock That's horrible!

lizzypopbottle Sat 25-Jun-16 17:45:43

I have three guys in my garden but they are not gnomes. They are three of the seven dwarves. Don't ask me which ones they are! They were made by my next-door-neighbour's late father many years ago from a set of rubber moulds that included, of course, Snow White. I won't deny that they're looking a bit tired now, and one of them has lost the tip of his hat. They do a great job stabilising the base of my bird feeding station but that means they come in for some rather unwelcome attention from the birds. Since I'm in confessional mode, I admit that the dogs occasionally pee on them ? but I give them a rinse if that happens. They are my only garden statuary and I'm rather fond of them.

Teetime Sat 25-Jun-16 17:56:13

No baby herons or pheasants - both Henry and Percy are self seeking egoists.

Katek Sat 25-Jun-16 18:06:38

There must be lots of homeless gnomes out there looking for
gnomeless homes..........give a gnome a home, you know you want to.

Jenty61 Sat 25-Jun-16 18:54:02

I had an old neighbour who had loads of gnomes and every so often I would buy a gnome and place it somewhere in his garden with a note attached 'this gnome is looking for a home' ...I did this for years and he never knew it was me..?

ninathenana Sat 25-Jun-16 18:54:04

I quiet like garden ornaments, although I don't have any.
Sorry I would not give a gnome garden room.

sweetcakes Sat 25-Jun-16 18:58:58

DD has given her dad a gnome the last two fathers day as a joke he's not impressed but they do make me smile.

Envious Sat 25-Jun-16 19:02:26

Gnomes have crossed the pond. We also have plastic pink flamingos that end up in our gardens!

Riverwalk Sat 25-Jun-16 19:43:37

I have a really battered, concrete, low-quality gnome that DS1 won at a fair over 30 years' ago - which has pride of place in my little garden.

grin Envious at the flamingoes! When I was in New Mexico at a place called Truth or Consequences I went to a house that had a collection of huge plastic flamingoes in the garden. Fab!!