Gransnet forums

Gardening

Help with 3 new Acer trees in containers dropping leaves

(13 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Sun 24-Jul-16 14:15:39

My sister has a beautiful reddish Acer in a large pot which she ignores, leaving it look after its self
In the past I have tried several times with different varieties and colours.
But just can't get them to thrive.
So gave up.
A few weeks ago DH bought me 2 goldish leaf Acers (sorry that's the best I can do- just says Acer on label) from Dobbies.
They seemed to be doing ok so...
DH came back from Tesco with another, this time a reddish one similar colour to my Sister's Acer.
All three have been re potted in to larger containers. The labels all say full sun or half sun (as pics)
They are on my west facing patio against house wall by back door so we can keep an eye on them.
They seemed to be doing ok until yesterday morning when all three had dropped quite a few leaves.
And same again today.

I have been on the RHS web site for some help
It talks about leaves turning yellow or even brown and then falling
But the leaves on mine are still fresh and have not changed colour.
It then goes on to say that should not.. Be in Full Sun
Not too wet
Not too dry
Not in wind
Not in frost
Not in salt areas (we are not)
It says in well drained compost
Using John Innes (sp?) Number 2
No Nitrogen fertilizer (we haven't given any feed)

We have moved them to theshade side and we are going to change compost (but bIt worried this will cause stress)

Any idea or thoughts Please

Mumsy Sun 24-Jul-16 18:10:25

the same thing happened to my acer tree it lost all its leaves, I hung onto it for a year and it did nothing so chucked it!

cornergran Mon 25-Jul-16 05:18:08

Acers seem to have minds of their own! We have three, a 'red' one, a 'golden' one and a 'green' one, all in pots. Have had them for years. They fared best in our previous home, West facing but under a large tree so shaded for part of the day. Never a leaf drop. Here they are struggling, can only have them East facing in a fairly windy garden. The red one hates wind and drops leaves as and when it feels like it, the other two are faring better but are struggling without the shelter of the larger tree. I'm no expert but wonder if yours might benefit from some protection from a larger bush or tree if that's possible? Ours certainly liked it. We did have a new one - it died - discovered it was waterlogged, they obviously don't like that! Not sure about compost, ours are in ericaceous, I feed them now and again with a feed for rhododendron/azalea/acre type plants. Hope they recover, I know how frustrating it can be, they are beautiful when they thrive but a right headache when they don't.

NfkDumpling Mon 25-Jul-16 07:18:30

I'm so glad others have problems! I've tried several over the years - different positions, different gardens, potted and planted and never had one survive more than a couple of years. I see them in other peoples gardens. Large and thriving in all sorts of positions. I really, really want one! A red one please. I shall be following this thread with interest!

J52 Mon 25-Jul-16 07:58:21

Eracacious compost is a must. The serrated leaved Acers are certainly trickier than the broader leaved type and seem more susceptible to wind damage.

I have found that the cheaper ones, on offer in the supermarket/ DIY stores, don't seem to fare as well as those I have bought from nurseries. I was tempted by a 'cheap' serrated red leaved one a couple of years ago and it is in a pot, but it has not done as well as the nursery, ground planted ones I left behind in previous garden.

One was 20 years old, planted in the exposed front garden. It always did well. They originate from exposed hilllsides in Asia.

J52 Mon 25-Jul-16 08:04:22

Just to add Nfk. Some nurseries begin selling off their stock now, in preparation for winter shutdown. You might be able to get a well grown Acer at a reduced price. ( good ones are pricey ) one of my best ones was bought from a nursery at the end of the season. You do have to wait for the following spring to get the new leaves and see it in all its glory!

Liz46 Mon 25-Jul-16 08:05:54

I bought a tiny one at a flower show about 15 years ago. It is now in an east facing border, thriving on neglect. We have clay soil.

Badenkate Mon 25-Jul-16 08:18:22

I bought two acers and the dogs seemed to think they were great as a focus for cocking legs. I no longer have any acers sad

Stansgran Mon 25-Jul-16 08:36:06

I had two as a freebie from the Times some years ago. They are red and I planted them in big white ceramic pots against a white wall. Every winter the leaves vanish and DH says they are dead throw them out. Every spring they come out and I say nothing but this year one is fine the other has shrivelled leaves and looks dead. Except it's sprouted an entirely different leaf ,still an acer leaf , half way up the stem. I'm not sure what to make of it.

J52 Mon 25-Jul-16 09:02:27

Some Acers are grafted onto other acer stock. Hence some different leaves can occur below the graft.

aggie Mon 25-Jul-16 09:14:17

they don't like full sun , mine actually is against a north facing wall and the gutter of the shed drips onto the root ball. It is about 12 ft high from a twig and has been moved 3 times , sadly it is too big to move now

Cherrytree59 Mon 25-Jul-16 18:13:36

Thank you all for your advice
I now know that they are difficult
blighters trees'
I have moved them behind some other bushes
They seem at happier there
I think I am going to try eracacious compost.
They all had a good root ball.

If these don't make it then as advised, I will try one more time from a nursery.

But if no good then my garden will be Acer free zone sad
Badenkate sad but at least you know that Doggy pee is the problem and I'm sure you have forgiven themsmile

NfkDumpling Mon 25-Jul-16 21:02:02

I'll have a look around for a sales offer and have another go. Thanks folks.