Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Gone potty

(21 Posts)
Anya Thu 29-Jan-15 13:44:41

Just chucked our grandchildren's potty in the dustbin. It's seen a lot of little bottoms on it.

sad the end of an era sad

Who'd have thought it would make me feel emotional but it's not the kind of thing you can just keep for sentimental reasons is it grin

Agus Thu 29-Jan-15 13:59:13

It is indeed a sad occasion Anya. I recently passed on a travel cot and high chair to a friend of DD1s. The kitchen just doesn't look the same without the high chair at the table sad

Mishap Thu 29-Jan-15 14:00:29

Whenever I get our potties out for the GC I also think of all the times all the family have vomited in them!

Anne58 Thu 29-Jan-15 14:57:23

Mishap! "ALL the family have vomited in them"! Makes it sound as if it was a communal vomiting session! grin

loopylou Thu 29-Jan-15 15:05:47

Probably felt like that on occasions! Pass the Potty anyone? grin

Marmight Thu 29-Jan-15 15:53:44

I always find it emotional when children grow out of their nursery 'stuff'. I still have our children's potty for the gc's - and the loo seat. However it is apparently unsuitable for boys which probably accounts for numerous puddles on the bathroom floor confused. The high chair, cot and pushchair went to the charity shop just before Christmas but I have kept the Windsor type chair with long legs which is almost an heirloom; they all fight over it so we have to have turns. I shall keep it for the ggc's.

FlicketyB Fri 30-Jan-15 15:16:13

We have just freegled the stair gate and baby alarm out of the house. But we have also redecorated what used to be DS's room and put a second bed in it and now refer to it as the DGC's room.

Mishap Fri 30-Jan-15 15:23:06

Yes - definitely felt like it on occasions. I shall never forget the night when for the nth time I met my OH on the landing on the way to the loo, each of us bleary-eyed and in pyjamas carrying a sick-laden potty from two different children in two different rooms - we said we should not keep meeting like this! Happy days!

Teetime Fri 30-Jan-15 15:25:38

I must be horrible- I never kept any baby paraphernalia for grandchildren I made them bring it and take it all away again each time. Cant stand clutter!!! I am horrible aren't I?

Anya Fri 30-Jan-15 15:30:08

All our junk staff wouldn't all fit in a car Teetime the GC call our conservatory 'The Playroom'.

Anya Fri 30-Jan-15 15:30:32

Stuff....we don't have any staff, honest.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 30-Jan-15 15:35:50

Funny, I never had any qualms about chucking out the potty. grin

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 30-Jan-15 15:36:51

Actually, come to think of it, I can't remember chucking out the potty. I wonder if I've still got it somewhere.... confused

Anya Fri 30-Jan-15 15:37:32

grin

loopylou Fri 30-Jan-15 15:38:01

Me too Mishap, and running out of bedding because DH had dumped the duvets in the bath 'to wash them' (needless to say he wasn't the one to do that or manoeuvre dripping duvets down the stairs!)
Oh the joy of having children hmm!

Anya Fri 30-Jan-15 15:38:56

Marmite re little boys using toilet seat (before they learn to do it standing up) always remind them to 'tuck it in'

rockgran Fri 30-Jan-15 15:47:05

When my grandchildren left to go abroad one of the things that gave me some comfort was being able to give lots of clutter away to a neighbour. I was happy to ditch the buggy, tiny table and chairs, assorted cups, trampoline, etc. I've kept lots of their toys in the loft but I fear they will have grown out of them before they ever see them again. Still, I don't miss clambering over the carseat or tripping over the potty!

hildajenniJ Fri 30-Jan-15 16:44:13

My Dad has just gone into a care home. The last time I was in his house (our family home) I went into the pantry, and there on the shelf were two Tommy Tippee cups used by my GC when they visited their great grandparents. A wave of nostalgia washed over me, knowing they will never use them again. They don't actually need them now, the youngest is 2 and doesn't like his "baby" cups now. In the bathroom he still had the toilet step too.

hildajenniJ Fri 30-Jan-15 16:49:52

We have the stair gate in situ still, even though the GC are in Scotland. We kept it, as it is useful for keeping the dog out of the bedrooms when we go out.

Falconbird Sat 31-Jan-15 09:52:42

Ah same here. My son's house is now free of the pushchair in the hall and four baby gates. How time flies by. There are one or two feeding cups still on the window sill for the four year old to use sometimes - but they are both children now - not babies or toddlers.

KatyK Sat 31-Jan-15 11:30:23

I took some of our granddaughter's games/jigsaws to the charity shop recently as she is now almost 15. It felt so sad