Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Daughters parenting skills ?

(5 Posts)
cherylannrogers Fri 28-Aug-15 19:05:17

How do I handle sometimes seeing and sometime's hearing alot, screaming at my 1 year old granddaughter, sometime's words I won't repeat, sometimes hateful things to this baby, and seldom see results of a slap, I hear this baby try talking over and over the same sound but never getting paid attention too, until I walk in the room and pick her up and take her outside, which she loves, then her mom, my daughter starts to criticize, saying I am spoiling the baby, she shouldn't get her own way, she's not mine she's hers, This baby is always in the same small space all the time unless I do very often pick her up and take her outside or for a walk, knowing I am being called fowel names from her, My heart is so torn apart and it just breaks to listen to this baby try saying something to her mother, over and over and all she gets in return is shut up, go away, stop it, etc. I have to literally plug my ears so I cannot hear the screaming. I do go into the living room and I can hear if things get really out of hand. I love my daughter, but she got pregnant with this baby and her marraige is in a divorce now, and now that the baby is growing she seems less appreciative of her, the baby is more a burden than a delight. I just needed to speak a few things in my heart because I need to understand just where she went wrong, yes marraige ended and I think she had the baby to hold on which didn't happen, If I try to talk to my daughter about anything, all she tells me is she wishes I was dead, disrespects in every way possible, constantly calling me disgusting names, I have never disrespected her or mother other children. She has alot of hate and anger built up towards me and I do not know why, I slapped her ass when she was little, I grounded her for an hour, I got divorced from her father, which we are still best friends, I don't want sympathy I just want peace, especially for my beautiful baby girl with so much love to give, she is such a bright, spirited baby. She is always trying to do new things, even though most of them yelled at for them, I have 7 grand children and this little one she is such a special baby, I see it, I can feel, I know it. she is only 1 years old but she is so ahead of herself, she hates being confined she wants to be talked to, played with, spend time with, just be notice, and her mother doesn't she is too busy on the internet, I want to take this baby and sometimes run away, but where will that get me, I love being a grandmother but it breaks my heart at the sametime. I feel as if I'm damned if I do, and I'm damned if I don't! Life is often so cruel to people who have a family and just want life to go peacefully and lovingly, but things always seem to get in the ways of the good, tired of having my fate it seems like tested, but I am stronger than evil and I can do good

soontobe Fri 28-Aug-15 19:20:27

This sounds an awful situation.
Do you live with your daughter and the baby?
Has your daughter got any other children?

Nelliemoser Fri 28-Aug-15 20:00:51

Are you in the USA? I just wondered as you said "Mom."

Wherever you are if you think that child is being neglected or abused you have a moral duty to report that to a child welfare organisation as soon as possible.

In the UK you could speak to the child's health visitor or phone the NSPCC r a similar organisation where you live. Pplease do not just carry on being concerned and worrying about how your daughter may react.

rosequartz Fri 28-Aug-15 20:47:22

I reiterate what nelliemoser has said.
This child is being abused and you have a moral obligation to get outside help.

Judthepud2 Fri 28-Aug-15 21:54:58

Oh yes absolutely. Your daughter needs help and the baby sounds as if she is at risk. It sounds as if you need to bring in some outside assistance for everyone's sake.