Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Grandparents' brag thread

(138 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 29-Jul-16 15:01:42

Does anyone still have a brag book? If not, consider this your brag thread.
We thought some of you might want to share a proud moment or funny story about your grandchildren and a dedicated thread might be a good idea. Have they asked you an embarrassing question in the supermarket, announced their future (surprising) profession, or finally mastered reading all by themselves. Share your stories - we'd love to hear them.

Nannylovesshopping Fri 29-Jul-16 15:26:38

My 2dgds have been at stagecoach summer workshop all week, eldest gd is on autistic spectrum, she has had nineteen lines to learn, has to dress up, remember lines and perform on stage tonight in front of a large audience(she wanted to do this) for her, this is an huge undertaking, I am more than proud of her, my younger gd will be as amazing as always, she has helped big sister to do this. Naturally, they are the bestest gds in the whole world! grin

kittylester Fri 29-Jul-16 16:17:24

That's so lovely, nannyloveshopping

DGS (aged4) was telling us about the planets today and said that Mercury is berry berry hot. His sister (3) piped up 'So is Spain and I've beened there!' grin

Nannylovesshopping Fri 29-Jul-16 16:20:57

Ah kittylester don't you just love them to bitssmile

Greyduster Fri 29-Jul-16 16:44:47

I was walking through Filey last week with GS (9), and he was telling me about Hadrian's Wall (not sure how the conversation came about). "It's the longest wall in the world, Nanny" he said. I told him no, the Great Wall of China is the longest. No it can't be, came the reply, because it's a hundred kilometres long, and that's very long! Well, I told him that the GWofC was thirteen thousand miles long (I don't do kilometres) and it could be seen from space! By this time, he is getting a bit frustrated at being contradictedy some old woman who doesn't go to school anymore so can't know anyone, and he turned to me with his hands on his hips and said in a very terse voice, "yes but it didn't keep out the Picts did it!" I couldn't contradict that one! When we got home, I showed him pictures of the GWofC and he had to admit it was just a bit more impressive than Hadrian's Wall.

NanaandGrampy Fri 29-Jul-16 16:57:04

Love this thread !!

And love the way he put an end to you Greyduster!

Our little 4 yr old grandson loves to hear tales of how naughty Grampy was as a boy ( and he WAS naughty).

I told him how once Grampy got in trouble over a newly poured concrete drive. The neighbour knocked on his door and complained bitterly about Grampys behaviour . His mum was shocked and asked how the neighbour could be sure it was Grampy?

He signed his name came the reply.

Jackson thought for a moment , then shook his head sadly and said ' Poor Grampy ...... He's not very clever is he Nana?'

No, I replied.

'I would have signed my brothers name' said Jackson.

That boy will go far !!

pensionpat Fri 29-Jul-16 17:22:44

George was about 6 and was squirting ketchup. It made a rude noise. I asked, as a joke, "Was that you Geirge? He replied " I'm not the farting kind"

phoenix Fri 29-Jul-16 19:50:14

My eldest DS, when telling me about the school Harvest Festival event (he referred to it as the Harvest Vegetable grin ) said "On Monday we are doing it for the mummys and daddys, then on Tuesday we are doing it for the, the, (pause) crumple faced ladies and gentlemen"!!! grin

Fairydoll2030 Fri 29-Jul-16 20:26:23

My 2.5 year old grandson who is, of course, the brightest, most intelligent child ever born, was bouncing in his cotbed at 6am this morning and shouted out - so I'm told - 'Daddy cover your ears, I'm going to be loud,' Keeps us amused. Aren't grandkids so delightful?

Thingmajig Fri 29-Jul-16 20:39:06

Our 2.5 (and a bit) granddaughter is finally starting to talk, so this week I'm called "Gan" for the first time. smile

trisher Fri 29-Jul-16 20:57:47

Can't cope with this thread it reminds me too much of when my sons were little and some mums spent all their time reciting the wonderful achievements of their offspring, who have since grown up to work in offices, shops and banks. I didn't join in then and I'm not going to now. My GCs are wonderful I love them to bits, but I don't propose to brag about them.

NanKate Fri 29-Jul-16 21:50:12

Our eldest GS 5 came home from school with a lovely brown bear called Bruno. I asked why he had got the bear for the weekend, his quick response was 'because I have been a role model'. This did make me smile smile. I wish he would be a role model at home !

tanith Fri 29-Jul-16 21:58:08

My 11yr old granddaughter while discussing her 'sex education class' with me this morning, telling me how childishly the boys behaved, she then proceeded to tell me that she loved the name Clementine for a baby shock.

kittylester Fri 29-Jul-16 22:01:54

trisher, I'm not bragging as I remember the braggers, too. I adore my grandchildren and think they are the best thing since my own children but you'll only find me and everyone else up to now telling about the funny bits.

Nelliemoser Fri 29-Jul-16 22:42:13

My son then rising three, was being a nuisance in our holiday cottage and his dad told him to stop. When he continued his dad raised his voice and shouted at him to stop.

There was a silence for a moment and then he piped up with;

"I am not at all afraid of you when you shout at me like that" At which we completely collapsed laughing and kept giggling all day.

(It was quite true that he was not at all afraid of his dad.)

Katek Sat 30-Jul-16 00:04:09

My 10 year old dgs was having a bit of a laugh with his mum a couple of years ago and she told him he was a comedian. He replied " don't be silly mum, if I was a comedian my tongue would stretch to the other side of the kitchen!" Cue one speechless dd!

NanaandGrampy Sat 30-Jul-16 08:48:06

Nothing wrong with a spot of bragging Trisher .

When you're so proud of someone or something then why not say? And i'm not sure whats wrong with having grown up to work in offices , shops and banks? I don't think I understand really , sorry !

kittylester Sat 30-Jul-16 08:56:38

I tend to agree that out and out bragging is not nice but a bit of being chuffed isn't wrong and we dont know everyone's 'back story' and should be non-judgmental!

I agree about shops, offices and banks nandg - odd!

trisher Sat 30-Jul-16 09:13:23

Because the parents all imagined their child was a genius and would discover the equivalent of penicillin or paint the next Mona Lisa, working in a shop is fine, but not what they pictured for their child.

NanaandGrampy Sat 30-Jul-16 09:19:47

ah got it Trisher !!

well, Im thinking this is not the thread to debate that smile

back to tales of funny, smart, precious grandkids .

trisher Sat 30-Jul-16 09:24:06

Maybe not a brag thread then? Although something called a 'brag book' is mentioned in the OP. Goodness knows what one of them is!

GrannyGay1 Sat 30-Jul-16 09:24:28

Well said Trisher
It is wonderful being a grandparent and have plenty of proud moments that I could brag about although choose not to as there are plenty of grandparents out there there who have grand children with profound disabilities ,where they have fantastic achievements to shout out about .who cares if little Jonny recites Shakespeare at three ! All children are unique and have special qualities ,don't they ?

trisher Sat 30-Jul-16 09:45:13

Exactly GrannyGay1. Mind you I may also be influenced by the fact that my mother has a story about something I said when I was about 3 that she thought was hilarious, and that she continues to tell occasionally.

KatyK Sat 30-Jul-16 09:54:01

Lots of lovely moments to recall about out granddaughter. If I may just sneak in a little brag - she is 16, pretty and clever and has taught herself to play the piano and has played at a couple of weddings this year smile

Nonnie Sat 30-Jul-16 09:54:57

This is a bit of fun for like minded people who will appreciate it. If you don't why comment? I dodn't go on every thread and wouldn't dream of suggesting I am too superior to do so.

In the spirit of this thread my just 2 yr old bilingual, musical genius, amazing, coordinated, wonderful dancer grandson when asked about Grandad says "Grandad's a silly boy". Obviously he is very observant too.