Gransnet forums

Health

Laser clean of lens after cataract surgery a year ago

(52 Posts)
MaggieP Thu 12-Jan-12 11:04:38

Does anyone have any experience of this? After one year following bilateral cataract surgery, my right eye vision is quite blurry and today I am going to have the lens cleaned by laser at local hospital eye dept.
I know it happens but don't have anyone to tell me their experiences!
Anyone out there to comment please?

jingl Thu 12-Jan-12 11:15:38

No experience but thinking of you Maggie. I bet it will be fine. smile x

supernana Thu 12-Jan-12 13:05:20

Maggie Cannot answer your question, but feel sure all will be well. I'm off to Glasgow on Monday to have cataract surgery. I'm looking forward to having my vision restored. Have been peering through a foggy haze for far too long.

glassortwo Thu 12-Jan-12 13:31:06

maggie I have had a cataract done but I have not had any problems with it, but it will probably like cleaning the windows again. smile you will be fine.

super it makes such a difference I could not believe how muggy things had become, (well in one eye I am still waiting for the other).

MaggieP Thu 12-Jan-12 15:49:25

Thanks for your comments Jingl, supernana and glassortwo
After all that, I only had a consultation and will have to wait 2 - 4 weeks for the laser clean! Not what I was led to believe.. Oh the frustrations sometimes!

goldengirl Thu 12-Jan-12 15:55:25

I've had a 'tidy up' after a cataract [not sure whether that is the same but could be] and didn't realise it was being done! I sat at the machine, the usual anaesthetic drop was put into my eye and the 'cone' inserted [couldn't feel a thing], heard a continuous pop pop pop and after a while thought that my eye was aching a bit and when it stopped the doctor said 'that's fine' and I finally realised that was it! The doctor had said something like 'here we go' originally but I didn't twig! Don't worry about it MaggieP if your clean up is similar it's over in a few minutes.

jingl Thu 12-Jan-12 15:58:43

Shame you couldn't get it out the way today Maggie, but *GG's post sounds good! smile

FlicketyB Thu 12-Jan-12 16:18:28

Jingl, I had this done last year. The eye consultant told me that when they remove the original cloudy lens they cut the natural lens capsule, take out the contents and place the artificial lens in the natural capsule. Sometimes the lens capsule then gets cloudy so they cut a hole in the centre removing the cloudy section, or at least that is what I understood I was being told.

The equipment that was used is a bit like the equipment they use at the opticians for glaucoma tests. You sit on a seat with your chin resting on a rest then the surgeon holds your eye open and zaps it a number of times with the laser. I cannot remember whether I had any anaesthetic in my eye. The process was uncomfortable but not painful and was done in little bursts and took about 10 minutes. I was prescribed eye drops to be used for a few days afterwards. There was no eye patch or other protection and although I was advised not to drive myself home afterwards, I was told there would be no problem driving the following day.

MaggieP Thu 12-Jan-12 18:28:45

Thanks for that FlicketyB, very helpful!

Littlelegs Thu 12-Jan-12 20:40:25

Hi MaggieP

Yes I have had the laser after having cataract surgery first on the left eye and then later on the right. I had no problems at all with either eye.
You will be fine. I hasten to add this was in the year 1994/5 and have had no problem at all since with either eye.

I wish you well. Let me know how you get on. smile

jeni Thu 12-Jan-12 20:47:45

maggiep
flickety's expos right basically, but as I understand it some times a membrane crows over the lens and laser saps it away.

em Fri 13-Jan-12 18:07:00

Yes Maggie my experience was the same as Flickety's. I would compare it to the test for peripheral vision - the one where you watch for the green dot and press the button when you see it. Mine was done the same day, took a few minutes, needed no follow-up. However,when the blurriness appeared 2 years after the surgery, I went to my original optician and was seen by a young (and clearly inexperienced optician who didn't know how to deal with post cataract surgery). He told me I needed to go back to varifocals. After contacting the opthalmology dept at hospital I had the quick repair job. If I'd taken the optician's advice I might have paid £300-400 for useless specs. I did take it further and complained to Vision Express about it. I've made a point of telling people about this as the husband of a friend recently had the same bad experience and bought the varifocals - which were useless. Will see her next week and find out how he got on!

MaggieP Fri 13-Jan-12 20:26:39

I have been interested to read all your comments and so many thanks again for everyones input, it has been helpful, encouraging as well as interesting.
I will report back whenever I have been sorted!

em Fri 13-Jan-12 23:19:25

Supernana Good luck on Monday. Please don't worry about it. I worried most about what I might see!! Saw absolutely NOTHING apart from very bright light. The staff were so kind, supportive and patient - taking time to answer all questions. Afterwards - a very quick and straightforward recovery. My sight wasn't too bad really, but I remember my elderly aunt saying that it was as if she'd been watching black and white tv for ages and then someone gave her a colour set! After what you've been through recently I think (and hope) you'll find this procedure very simple and absolutely painless.

Annobel Fri 13-Jan-12 23:46:40

super, good luck for Monday. I'm astonished that you manage all that beautiful painting and look forward to even more spectacular output once this is all over.
With love xx

supernana Sat 14-Jan-12 12:09:41

em I like your aunt's version of the benefits of cataract removal. Through my left eye, I only glimpse formless light and shade. Eye expert said he thought I had sustained a "sand-blast" injury. Have no recollection of any such incident.
Annobel I am unafraid and looking forward to having vision fully restored. Wonder if I shall have a dishy male nurse to hold my hand. Possibly not...instructions stress to "keep very still" throughout procedure. wink

Only one more "drop-bot" procedure to look forward to - same hospital ten days later. End of Feb, return to different hospital to hear the verdict. April sometime will have assessment for the hip replacement. By the close of 2012 I aim to be a sprightlier version of the present me...No pain, no gain! smile

Annobel Sat 14-Jan-12 13:21:54

Fingers crossed for the dishy male nurse, super! And for restoration of full technicolor vision. (((((hugs)))))

supernana Sat 14-Jan-12 13:30:32

Annobel thanks

Butternut Sat 14-Jan-12 13:38:06

super - all the best for Monday!

supernana Sat 14-Jan-12 14:00:19

thanks Butter Have made arrangements for kind neighbour to feed bloshy cat [and family] in our absence smile

jeni Sat 14-Jan-12 14:17:50

Please somebody, what is a "bloshy cat?"

Annobel Sat 14-Jan-12 14:53:30

Wasn't it originally a typo for bolshy?

supernana Sat 14-Jan-12 16:32:52

jeni Annobel is right. Meant to describe the kind of day our feral cat had been ejoying and instead of bolshy, typed the other. Some liked the new name, so it stuck. The cat came out of the woods one day. Now it lives in an apartment [scrubbed out wheelie bin] with a proper igloo basket lined with fleece. It [sorry, Rory] is fed twice daily. Enjoys our company outside the house and invites his tabby wifelet and two young kits to share supper. All four now washing their faces and sort of grinning...wonder why! smile

jeni Sat 14-Jan-12 17:10:56

Ah

glassortwo Sun 15-Jan-12 22:27:12

super thinking of you tomorrow, but you will come home thinking how painless and easy it was, I promise. thanks