Gransnet forums

Health

Epilator and facial hair

(102 Posts)
Boatyard Tue 10-Jun-14 06:43:21

Anybody used an epilator on peach fuzz facial hair?

Aka Tue 10-Jun-14 06:48:01

hmm ??

Boatyard Tue 10-Jun-14 07:24:16

Anybody used an epilator razor attachment on fine facial hair?

Anne58 Tue 10-Jun-14 07:45:33

I think that there are a few Whizzit users on here. I keep meaning to order one but haven't got round to it so far blush

Do you have a particular reason for asking?

sherish Tue 10-Jun-14 07:57:19

I have used an epillator for quite a while now. I did start with a Whizzit but it wasn't that good. I now use a Phillips and it's very good. If you do decide to get one, a rechargeable one is best especially as they do hold their charge quite well so they are good for taking on holiday for the odd stragglers.

suebailey1 Tue 10-Jun-14 08:26:39

I'll stick to waxing - it discourages hair growth and leaves a nice smooth finish.

sherish Tue 10-Jun-14 08:42:01

As an epilator pulls hair out by the root, it works in the same way as waxing and also leaves a smooth finish. It's also portable. It's a matter of personal choice and also trial and error.

NfkDumpling Tue 10-Jun-14 08:46:12

Does it hurt as much as waxing?

Marelli Tue 10-Jun-14 09:50:48

I have an Epilady for facial hair and it really does work very well. It does hurt on the upper lip, but no more than the wax strips that I used to use! shock

Ana Tue 10-Jun-14 10:05:01

I use a Whizzit on my upper lip and for chin stragglers. I've got a more expensive one as well, but find the Whizzit works fine - yes it's a bit painful but you seem to get used to it!

Boatyard Tue 10-Jun-14 12:40:52

Thank you for comments,I have some on cheeks and chin how often do you have to do it,I am very self conscious about it

Ana Tue 10-Jun-14 12:59:29

Boatyard, you mentioned an 'epilator razor attachment' in one of your posts. A razor will of course remove the hairs, but in my experience they grow back stubbly, which is not a good look!

grandma60 Tue 10-Jun-14 14:03:10

Boatyard I find a whizzit works well for me. I use it about once a fortnight. If the problem.is more about peachy hair on your cheeks you could consider threading.or waxing as an olive skinned friend of mine does.

Charleygirl Tue 10-Jun-14 14:53:02

I would not use a razor on the cheeks for the reason mentioned by Ana.

Boatyard Tue 10-Jun-14 15:05:09

No it is not a razor it is a braun epilator with a facial attachment ,anybody used this on cheeks and chin?

Ana Tue 10-Jun-14 15:11:00

Yes, that's the type of epilator we were all talking about, I think - your mention of 'razor' made me double-check though! I'd say go for it! smile

rosequartz Tue 10-Jun-14 19:54:29

I had one years ago which I used on my legs. Only used it about twice and found it very painful, so the thought of using it on my face makes me shudder.

Ana Tue 10-Jun-14 20:07:16

'Pride must abide' as my Granny used to say! grin

rosequartz Tue 10-Jun-14 20:09:43

Ouch!! hmm

TriciaF Wed 11-Jun-14 13:58:20

That sounds such a good idea - never heard of it!
I just use tweezers for my face but this epilator thing sound easier to handle.
My poor Mum would have loved one - after her stroke she lost the use of her right hand, and was clumsy with the left, but could have managed this gadget. Facial hair removal with tweezers was one of the things I used to do for her when I visited.

Ana Wed 11-Jun-14 16:23:13

My remark wasn't meant to be any kind of dig, rosequart - sorry if you thought it was. The saying just means 'one has to suffer to be beautiful', but 'pride must abide' is so much more concise!

suzied Wed 11-Jun-14 18:21:53

If you go to anyone who does eyebrow threading they will also facial hair. That keeps it at bay for a long time cheaply. If it's really dark and thick you could try laser treatment.

upsydaisy Wed 11-Jun-14 20:53:18

Soooo glad you're having this conversation because I am really having a bad time with facial hair. Do people get loads? Keep wondering whether I actually have something wrong with me, but all I can say is it's a good job I'm fair otherwise I would probably look awful. I have very course hairs that grow out of my chin and on my lip, am always plucking them but really need to get rid of them a bit more permanently cos it's turning into a full time job. Any ideas. Have never had anything waxed in my life so tis making my eyes water just thinking about it. What is eyebrow threading? I've heard of it but not a clue what it is. sad

suzied Thu 12-Jun-14 05:34:06

Laser hair removal gets rid of hair permanently, but it only really works on dark hair, it gets rid of thread veins as well. It's expensive, but could be worth it if it's a real problem as it's permanent. Eyebrow threading is usually done by Asian or Middle Eastern women , so if you live in an area with a high Asian population you are bound to find someone there doing it, they do it in a lot of big department stores too, it's where they get two strands of fine cotton and sort of thread it round the hairs and tighten them up and pull the hair out, it's really quick and doesn't hurt as much as waxing. I often get my eyebrows and upper lip done for about £8.

MariClaire Thu 12-Jun-14 05:57:49

upsydaisy I am a brunette, olive skinned. I get my eyebrows and upper lip waxed and it's a mini miracle! I don't know about fair skin or chin, though. I go every 8-10 weeks and get a great discount. I justify it in my "hair" budget. wink. The pain is like pulling off surgical tape from your skin-quick and forgettable. This one treat saves me so much stress! Maybe you could give it a try on a very small area first? And I suggest going to a reputable hair salon versus a main/pedi/wax bar. Good luck!