Gransnet forums

Health

Urinary infection? Advice please.

(17 Posts)
shysal Mon 01-Sep-14 12:40:05

I think that, for the first time in my life, I may have a urinary infection. It is only mild, with lower abdominal pain and frequency but no fever or burning. I have used a dip-stick on a sample, which shows the presence of white cells. My instinct is to keep on with the painkillers, which take the edge off, and wait and see whether I fight it off without the need for antibiotics. I am drinking cranberry juice, but have little faith in it.
What have others found? Do I wait, or see a doctor early to nip it in the bud?

Mishap Mon 01-Sep-14 12:45:06

Might be worth getting some medical advice - especially as this is not something that you are normally prone to getting. By the time you get an appointment it will either be better or much worse!!

harrigran Mon 01-Sep-14 12:57:00

Cranberry juice usually helps as does bicarb in water and coffee. I once thought I could self treat and waited to see what would happen and I got Pyelitis. I would err on the side of caution and see GP.

Ana Mon 01-Sep-14 13:04:21

Sounds more like a kidney infection to me, which will probably only get worse without treatment from your GP.

gillybob Mon 01-Sep-14 13:10:11

I would advise seeing a doctor asap shysal. I had a urinary infection at the back end of last year. I waited and waited, hoping it would get better. I tried various over the counter remedies and drank gallons of water and cranberry juice all to no effect. Instead it got worse to the point that I woke up in agony one saturday morning and ended up in A&E only to be told I had a nasty kidney infection, that would have never got better on its own. 2 courses of antibiotics later it was sorted I only wish I hadn't left it to get so bad.

Iam64 Mon 01-Sep-14 13:34:48

I'm with the others here shysal, see your GP asap. A course of antibiotics should knock it on the head, before it causes you problems

Galen Mon 01-Sep-14 13:38:57

GP

shysal Mon 01-Sep-14 13:43:29

Thank you ladies, appointment made. Earliest available was Thursday.

annodomini Mon 01-Sep-14 13:52:09

Doesn't your practice have a nurse practitioner who could have a look at your specimen and ask one of the doctors for a verdict? This is what happens at our medical centre. Thursday is a long way off if the bacteria are taking hold.

Charleygirl Mon 01-Sep-14 13:54:08

shysal does your surgery not have a system where you ring when they first open for an emergency appointment the same day. If you cannot get through, I would go to the surgery. Thursday is a long way away and I think that you need help now.

In the meantime, drink copious amounts of water.

vampirequeen Mon 01-Sep-14 13:59:37

Tell the receptionist you need an emergency appointment. You don't want to wait until Thursday as it will only get worse. I tried that once and ended up in hospital pumped full of painkillers and antibiotics.

littleflo Mon 01-Sep-14 14:00:02

I agree with making the appointment and also keep a record of when this is happening. If it just very occasionally it is quite normal, but if starts to happen more frequently then your doctor will need to know. I drink cranberry juice as it works for me and I also try to drink a least a litre of water or carbonated water each day.

You can buy from the chemist a cystitus remedy. Not the powders but a concentrated bottle, sorry can't remember what it is called but your pharmacist will know. Tastes disgusting but I do find it helps.

suebailey1 Mon 01-Sep-14 14:04:53

Yes see the docotr or practice nurse who can often prescribe without refernce to a GP. One thing though bicarb is not recommended- alters the blood chemistry which could be a problem for some.

overthehill Thu 04-Sep-14 20:20:39

Depends on what it is of course but I have suffered all my adult life with Cystitis.

I read that e-coli is often present in the bowel and will do no harm there, but if it makes its way towards the vagina say by not being careful about wiping the bottom or by sex if the other person hasn't washed themselves beforehand then you can become infected.

Once I knew about this I was extremely careful and it cut down episodes. There can be other reasons of course.

What I always have on hand is D-Manose this is a powder which when taken sticks to e-coli and removes it from the bladder.

numberplease Thu 04-Sep-14 21:37:58

I suffer on a regular basis with a water infection. The antibiotics I was prescribed were 2 a day for a 5 day course, but they didn`t work, so the doctor then made it the 5 day course, plus 1 a day for a further 14 days. That works, but the infection always comes back after a week or maybe 2. I think I`ve got them flummoxed!

Rowantree Fri 05-Sep-14 00:07:40

Firstly, if you have a UTI you are perfectly within your rights to insist on an emergency appointment with your GP. Infections which aren't treated promptly can sometimes worsen rapidly and lead to kidney infections or further damage. So never think it's a minor complaint.
Secondly - I've suffered most of my life from UTIs. I've bought, and read, most books on the subject and tried most preventative measures in an attempt to prevent or cure attacks. Angela Kilmartin is an authority on the subject and I'd recommend reading one or her books - I have adopted her method of bottle-washing after bowel movements (sorry, couldn't find any other appropriate euphemism!) and before bed. It's important to make sure you drink regularly throughout the day.
Antibiotics will indeed help, BUT....there are fewer and fewer which are effective for UTIs these days because of antibiotic resistance. Trimethoprim used to work well for me years ago - no longer. Ditto Ceflex. The only one I can take now is Nitrofurantoin ( macrodontin).

I was worried that I'd develop resistance to this one too, but then I discovered D-Mannose. Initially I was sceptical, but to my surprise it worked. It's very expensive but cheaper if you buy it online and in bulk, which I do. I take a maintenance dose of 1 tsp twice daily. If I get twinges which I know from experience will worsen if I don't take action, I take more doses of mannose. It's something you have to work out for yourself dose-wise, but it's very safe to take and the only side-effects I've noticed when I have to take more frequent doses to cure a full-blown attack is flatulence!
It works by attaching itself to the e-coli in the bladder (or vice versa), and preventing them sticking to the bladder wall. It doesn't kill them, so there isn't a problem with resistance or killing good bacteria. You then drink plenty of fluids to flush the e-coli out, and keep repeating that till the symptoms have gone and your urine is no longer cloudy/smelly and the burning feeling gone.
It's a good idea to finish a whole pack to make sure it's really gone. Only once in the last few years have I had to resort to antibiotics - and that was when we were travelling and it wasn't easy to keep dosing with mannose, drinking loads and then going to the loo loads till it was better. This is evidence enough for me, but I'd recommend it to anyone in a similar situation.
According to the relevant websites, most UTIs are caused by e-coli, but occasionally it's a different bug and in that case d-mannose wouldn't work as well. If you've tried d-mannose and it hasn't helped, then it might not be e-coli (and the vast majority are). In that case it's best to get a urine culture done and take an antibiotic asap.

D-mannose is the active constituent of cranberry, without the sugary sweeteners. To get the same effect from cranberry juice you'd have to consume huge amounts of juice.
numberplease - I too spent years in desperation. I never thought I'd find anything that helped and I can't understand why it's not being more widely tested in clinical trials (though there is some evidence out there on the internet). Give it a go - for me, it's well worth the price. I never go anywhere without my little bag of white powder and won't ever again.
Now all I have to do is find something equally effective for anxiety and depression!

shysal Fri 05-Sep-14 08:50:05

Wow! What a mine of information GN is! I saw my GP and was prescribed nitrofurantoin four times a day for 5 days. This was my first ever apisode, so hope it will be the last. I think I will buy some D-mannose though just in case I have a recurrence.
Rowan, if only there was a little bag of powder for all ills!
Thank you everyone for your help.smile